Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon and cola?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like

120 46.69%
  • I don't like

85 33.07%
  • So so

52 20.23%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon and cola

Good bourbon-- I drink it straight, with a small splash of water.

Cheap bourbon-- with cola.

My favorite combo-- Old Crow and Pepsi!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Disciple

One of my favorites is only possible if I get to KY or get someone to bring me some Ale 8 it is great with Bourbon and they are the only one to make this wonderful old KY soda treat not to sweet with a little fruit in the flavor the Bourbon just jumps out at you! Coke is too frizy and Sweet!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's most magnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------------

Disciple

The only thing I drink with cola is Cuervo Black Medallion and diet Coke with lime. Those Margarita drinks give me some serious sour stomach. If I want a mixed drink with bourbon, its ginger ale or nothing!

Thomas

I must admit that Jack and Coke is how I came to love bourbon straight. Twenty years ago, my buddy and I would go out for drinks. He would order a Jack and Coke and I would order my usual rum and coke. Every so often the waitress would accidently switch our drinks. I would take a good pull and think, "Man, that tastes good." He would do the same, make a sour face, and immediately switch our drinks. After a time or two of that, I just started ordering my own Jack and Coke.

Now, I only drink my whiskey with diet Coke at parties and that's only if the bourbon selection is weak. Otherwise, give it to me straight.

I like bourbon and "pop" too. I say pop, because I use different varieties with different bourbons. Since becoming a member of SB, I've started trying many different bourbons. To me, some taste good with one kind of pop, and some taste good with another. I won't bore you with all the combinations I like, and have tried, but my two favorite combos are: Maker's Mark and Sierra Mist Free, and good old Knob Creek and Coke. I use Pepsi, RC and Sprite at times but I've always got Coke and Sierra Mist Free on hand. Same as my bourbons. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Fishnbowl joe, Here is a must try combo for you... Ginger Ale and WT rye 101. Yes, I know that the Rye isn't Bourbon but it is straight and American and an amazing combination. Post back here once you have tried it as I am curious to your thoughts. Cheers!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Don't have a bottle of WT rye, but I'll try it using the Templeton I have. Thanks for the suggestion. As a side note here, as far as cola's go, I really prefer RC. It's kinda fit's in snugly right between Coke and Pepsi. Not as sweet as Pepsi, and not as strong as Coke. Sometimes I'm at the mercy of my wife though. She'll buy what's on sale. Joe

Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe
    I am glad to hear that you liked the Rye and Ginger. Now I have a question. How is your Templeton Rye? I had a couple bottles of their first year that were great. Then I went to pickup bottle of their second year and it was way off (Really bad nose and after taste). Nowhere near as good as the Rittenhouse or WT. So much so that I haven't even looked to pickup another bottle. Of coarse the cost vs 80 proof and the fact that I have to trek to another state to buy it certainly doesn't help their cause any. Another tip to make an undrinkable whiskey drinkable put in 3 or 4 peppermint candy sticks and it suddenly becomes a Holiday drink.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Can't really give you a good answer about the Templeton. It's my first bottle of rye. Tasted okay to me. I don't think that rye, or bourbons with a higher rye content in the mash bill are my cup of tea. I much prefer the wheaters. I like bourbons that are sweet and smooth. The aroma was okay but have to agree with you about the after taste. The one I had with the ginger ale was good though. A bit smoother and very little after taste. Joe