Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon and cola?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like

120 46.69%
  • I don't like

85 33.07%
  • So so

52 20.23%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon and cola

Then you defineatly need to give the Rittenhouse BIB or WT rye 101 a try then. Those 2 ryes are in differnt league. If you can find it the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye tops them all. There is a store up in south Beloit that carries both and might just have some of the VWFRR. I cannot remember the name though. I too very much like the wheaters they are some of my favs. But Good whiskey is good whiskey and you will know it when you try it. Sorry to all for corrupting this fine Bourbon thread with Rye.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Enthusiast

Anyone know of a good diet ginger ale? I really want to try it w/ rye.

Not a diet ginger ale, but you might want to give Sierra Mist Free a try. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I would recommend Vernor's Diet Ginger Ale. Our Michigan friends will know all about Vernor's. Vernor's is from Detroit, or nearby.

But Vernor's has a kind of independent history in Ontario, where it has always been considered a "local" drink. That is, everyone knows it is from Michigan, but still, it's considered an Ontario drink too. (There are many connections between Ontario and Northern Michigan).

For a long time there was only the regular Vernor's, but now there is also the diet one. Both are excellent, with a full, gingery taste.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-12-2008 at 19:10.

Now, (diet) ginger ale and rye-recipe bourbon is my thing, certainly (I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.
    But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.
    But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.
    I picked up the Kroger the other day. It is just OK, but could use more pep as I like an assertive ginger ale. The Kroger reminds me of that Ale-8-1 they sell in Kentucky. I will hunt down the diet vernors. I sure did like their regular offering in the days before my diabetes. I have my pick of Wal Marts around here, though I try to avoid them due to the crowds.

As far as a diet cola w/ wheaters, I think Pibb Zero and Weller tastes like pecan pie. If you can't get Pibb Zero, Diet Dr Pepper is close.
    Last edited by OldJack; 06-17-2008 at 19:01.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

By the way good old Canada Dry Ginger Ale is pretty good today. Some years ago it was reformulated (at least, that is my inference) to have a more assertive taste.

I find it very good with Jim Beam White. Beam White is really a bourbon for mixing, IMO. Its dryish, grainy edge blends very well with pop. A richer, sweeter bourbon often just won't be as good, or too sweet is another way to put it.

Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.

Gary

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.
    When Diet Coke was introduceed back in the early 1980s, it was given a different flavor profile from regular Coke, basically sweeter. When "New Coke" was introduced in 1984 it was essentially a non-diet version of Diet Coke.

Coke Zero has less sweetener and thus has a flavor profile closer to regular Coke.

However, some people (including me) can easily taste the artificial sweetener, and don't like Diet Coke/Coke Zero on its own (I've repeatedly demonstrated I can do this in blind tastings). I find I can tolerate a 50/50 blend of Coke and Coke Zero.

Modern Coke (American) is not the same as pre-1984 Coke. It used to be sweetened with sugar, but when they introduced "Coke Classic" in late 1984 they were using high-fructose corn syrup. Many people (the type given to conspiricy theories) believe the whole "New Coke" thing was just a way to cover the shift from sugar to HFCS.

Mexican Coke is still sweetened with sugar. I'm actually buying some later today to have on hand for a party Saturday. I plan to try mixing it with Coke Zero to see if the ratio can be altered to use more CZ and still keep it tolerable.

One possible benefit to the rising price of corn is that Coca-Cola may revert to sugar.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Just thought I'd post a little revelation I found, though I'm sure others around here already know this. A strong dash of bitters makes generic diet ginger ale come alive. Mix in some WT Rye, and, well, let's juts say Im making myself thirsty typing this.

Enthusiast

I've never liked bourbon and cola. Haven't thought of ginger ale or Vernors.

But I'll tell you what I love: bourbon and root beer. Specifically Barq's; it has a tangy zest that sets off perfectly with the late lamented Bonded Old Forester.

For that matter, it is absolutely superb with a little Baby Saz.

I don't do any of this very often; when I'm in the mood for bourbon I like it neat. However, when I'm in the mood for Barq's, it definitely gets a little improvement from the addition of bourbon or rye.