Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Deep-Fried Turkey/Bourbon Pairing

I'm frying my Thanksgiving turkey again (fifth year straight), and am looking for suggestions of your favorite pour with a spicy fried turkey. What do you suggest?
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Guru

Re: Deep-Fried Turkey/Bourbon Pairing

I always (partly because it can be a little cold outside here at Thanksgiving) have WT101 with mine.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I hope this is not considered blasphemy, but for a pairing with spicy fried turkey, I think I would save the bourbon for dessert (great match with pecan pie) or after dinner (great with football) and drink Riesling with the bird. Of course a good high proof like GTS would be excellent for drinking while cooking the bird to keep warm <G>.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomH
    ...Riesling with the bird...
    I might lean toward a spicier Gewurztraminer myself, but I commend and second the thought...
    Tim

Guru

Riesling for me, especially an Auslese from the Rheingau.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Taster

Marinade the Turkey with Wild Turkey for at least 24 hours. I'd never heard of this before; but experienced it last Thanksgiving when an Aussie friend decided to celebrate an American Holiday and found a recipe in one of her cookbooks. She was a tea-totaler and gave me the rest of the bottle into the deal
    "One Scotch, One Bourbon and One Beer!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's hard to imagine how you could marinade a whole turkey in Wild Turkey and still have some left in the bottle. Presumably, WT was just one ingredient in the marinade.

Underwriters Laboratories says turkey fryers are inherently unsafe. Soaking the bird in 101 proof alcohol before dropping it into the hot oil would seem designed not to improve that safety rating.

But, hey, you're on an island. How much trouble can it cause?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

But, hey, you're on an island. How much trouble can it cause?
    Chuck, it's a pretty big island.....and Pastor Bourbon doesn't live too far from me....I would throw down fire blankets and such over my bottles if I saw the "turkey fryer fire" coming, but for the most I would grab my favorites and run...waiting for the inevitable mushroom cloud as my house exploded!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

LOL!!! Thanks for the belly-laugh, Cowdery. (I've been wondering how to pronounce your 'handle'.)

Yes... the recipe used about 500mls of Bourbon; but it was still a fairly honey consistency marinade. She had to re-baste it or whatever the term might be as it was kept in the fridge while it 'soaked.'

Island it might be; but in a sugarcane growing region such a meal could be disaster...lol

As far as the fire's concerned, I'm the chaplain for several of the local rural fire brigades; so if the worst should come to the worst we could always use the failure as a meal as good practise for controlled burn of a kitchen fire...

Taster

Hey! Look at what I found! Googled Bourbon Turkey...

For the bourbon and mustard glaze, stir together in a small bowl 1/4 cup of the bourbon, 1/4 cup of the mustard, and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. With your fingers, separate the turkey skin from the breast meat, taking care not to tear the skin or pierce the meat. Rub about half the glaze under the skin onto the breast meat; set aside the remaining glaze. Season the bird with salt and pepper. Tie the drumsticks together and tuck wing tips behind the back. Place the bird, breast side up, in the prepared roasting pan. Cover with lightly oiled aluminum foil and roast for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the foil, brush the turkey all over with some of the reserved glaze and baste with pan juices. Continue roasting, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer; brushing with glaze and basting from time to time. The turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F and registers 165 degrees F when inserted into the stuffing.

www.marvalfoodstores.com/recipes/11-turkey.htm

Sorry if that's not allowed. I plead ignorance though I know tis no excuse... Have I transgressed the unwritten law???