Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon Find of 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Happened across 7 bottles of pre-issue Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit in an area store this weekend -- at it's original price, and I talked the counterman into a discount for taking all seven.
    These were from Barrel #4, bottled 9-20-94. Kentucky Spirit was first issued in 1995, so these were from the first bottlings. All are in original boxes and carry original neck tags.
    I've found a thing or two else this year, I suppose, but this one's fresh in my mind.
    Great find. Other than the fancier packaging, is there an attraction for earlier Kentucky Spirit over more recent bottlings?
    Chris/Oregon

Taster

This past year was fantastic for finding those hidden gems. I guess you have to really be on the lookout...and I was. Too many bourbons to list, but my favorites have been:

Old Fitzgerald BIB 1.75L (3) DSP-16
    Old Commonwealth (4)
    Wild Turkey 12 Gold Foil (1)
    Old Grand Dad 86 (9) National Distillers
    Old Forester BIB 1.75L (1) (1981)
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Nice idea for this thread Gary.
    Have found a handful of dusty corners and rarities out there this year, but my real find in 06 was actually RE-finding Buffalo Trace. Or, maybe it found me. I've written in earlier threads on how after a stellar start a few years ago, BT seemed to go south on me over quite a few bottles, with what was IMO a musty and dank taste. But, 06 saw several bottles purchased that were back to a more clean and crisp taste.

JOE

Connoisseur

This is the first year I've been into real bourbon. So these are really the finds of my life. I discovered Black Maple Hill this year which I'm tremendously found of and I came across some ORVW 15 and a couple of bottles of WT 12 and 3 bottles of Tribute. All of which I've really enjoyed.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by darkluna View Post
    Great find. Other than the fancier packaging, is there an attraction for earlier Kentucky Spirit over more recent bottlings?
    Well, of course, since it was selected before release, Jimmy (who, according to the neck tag -- in case there was any doubt -- DID select them) had the run of every barrel in the warehouses at the time, with only Rare Breed then competing for premium barrels. There may well have been better barrels/years afterward, but never wider choice.
    Also, I'd earlier happened across three of these in another store about 15 miles from this one a year or two ago, and the bourbon they poured was second probably only to the gold-foil 12yo among the WT products I've had. So, I know this is great bourbon from personal experience.
    Tim

Apprentice

As I type this I have a glass of Pappy Van Winkle's 20 in my hand, brought by a good friend with the good fortune to come from Kentucky. Damn, I'm in love alll over again (with the bourbon, not the friend)!

Mac
    Mad Mac
    "If you want to sing out, sing out!"

Advanced Taster

A Pappy 23 for $99 in SC (even after I told the store mgr that it was a wrong price) had to be my best find for 2006, but the 2 cases of BTEC , also in SC wasnt bad. The Finch and Clay for $75 each, in mid Tennessee, at the end of 2005, fall within the last 12 months but were at the tail end of 2005, have to be the best in my bourbon hunting career. Although the BTECs have been hit hard, I find the others hard to open, so I would have to say the ETLs for $22 would have to be my favorite and most enjoyable find.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Being in Australia with a limited range I have been lucky enough to purchase this year - (from abroad) -
    Wild Turkey 17yo JPN
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Legend JPN
    Wild Turkey KY Legend Euro
    Wild Turkey Tradition Euro
    Wild Turkey RR 101's & 90's
    06 BTAC (Ive seen Staggs on ebay before, but without this site I would have been none the wiser to the collection)
    Pappy 20 - same goes for this!

Plus a few I did get in Australia:
    2x Hirsch 16 Gold foil
    Blantons Original
    Blantons Special Reserve
    Blantons Silver
    Blantons Gold
    Makers Mark Gold Wax 101 Euro (thanks Troy!)

And Troy, when you get those WT master distiller bottles, my hand is already raised!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I think my find of the year would have to be OFBB. I had always just passed over this bottling (much like I pass over Woodford in favor of OF100). I finally tried some ar Cliff's place during the KBF. I think it is fantastic and well worth the price (unlike a lot of bottling in its price range).
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

2006 was huge for me, since I discovered this site just prior to Christmas 2005. There have been so many incredible bottles, but most of them have received pretty good comments here so they are not really "finds" I guess.

One that surprised me was OGD 114. I kind of passed on the squatty middle shelf bottle until a few people mentioned it in the top 10 thread last March. It has become one of my favorites. I did not read much about it, but have been very happy with the flavor and price.

Oh...how could I forget...my big find, the generosity of Luv2hunt (Dawn and Jon). They have helped me to try some bottles I never would have run across...to me, they are the epitome of what this site is...they are Bourbon Ambassadors of the highest quality. Some people rip the Internet and only see the bad influences...those folks need to visit this site...it is a little gem in the web.
    Todd