Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    With all this talk of Old Hickory, I went and dug out one of my bottles. It is a quart bottle, 10yo at 86 proof. Bottled by Old Hickory Distillers Co, Phila, PA, Lemont, Ill. Distilled in PA. There is also an unusual tax stamp....."U.S. Army/Open Mess". Its a tall retangular bottle. Two photos below. I may have to open this soon, or bring to the Gazebo.

Randy
    Randy Did you ever crack open your Bottle of Old Hickory and if so what do you think about it? For me when it was available and when I worked for them it was my Bourbon of choice it was always very smooth drinking whiskey!
    Dave z

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    As a kid growing up in Philadelphia, crossing the bridge into Jersey and being able to smell the whiskey was something I will not forget.
    --Just a quick note when I was 20 years old I got the first paid vacation I ever had from Publicker and I went down to the old Atlantic city it was a neat place then. I will never forget driving over the Walt Whitman Bridge and seeing the large neon lit Sign above the Industrial Publicker still that said it seems the nicest people Drink old Hickory! As I drove over I remember how Proud I was that I worked for such a great company! It seems so long ago but I will always be proud to have worked For the Continental Distillery and Proud of its efforts during WWII for our country!
    dave z

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by dougdog View Post
    Old hickory is not very plentiful in California dusty corners...these are the only two I've ever found, they are the 8 years old version.
    Hey Randy if you decide to drink the old hickory up I would love to have one of the empty bottles and its box as I do not have that one in my collection even though I have hundreds of bottles. Let me know sometime and Be Well. Would gladly pay you something for the empty Bottle & Box
    Dave Z

Disciple

Here are some other great shots of Publicker items:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Smile Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Here are some other great shots of Publicker items:
    The shots are----also Many Thanks to Jeff for posting these for me for History Sake
    1.My Corn Whiskey Barrel head
    2.My Malt Mash Barrel head that found in the field and had repaired by a wood caftmans dated 1967 I had worked there a year and was 20 yrs old
    3.my 1960 Old Hickory Eagle Bottle
    4.& 5. The front and back of my friends Linfield Bourbon Bottle wish I had one if anyone seeing this has one to sell let me know
    6.Large Stand up panel Bottle Old Hickory Ad for state stores
    7.Original Frank Reilly art picture on ink plate in reverse so it can print the Colonial ad for Phila blended Whiskey solid Brass mounted on wood
    8.Signs from Building P warehouse DSP#12
    9.List of Glassware for sale when they quit making drinking Alcohol differant Bottles and amounts of them
    10.Coopers Hammer & Coopers Hand Sledge
    11.Explosion proof Switch and power in building Light Building Q

One note If anyone finds a Linfield Bourbon Bottle I would love to buy it as It is one I want for my Collection very Much having Worked there at Kinsey In Linfield
    Dave
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-18-2008 at 06:01.

Enthusiast

Dave,

Thanks for the stardust memories.

I've just been reading your posts, and having grown up in south Jersey--much later, however--I find your thoughts and anecdotes to be quite enjoyable. I hope someone on this site has given you a taste, or at least an empty bottle, of the Old Hickory you so fondly remember. If I ever come across one, I'll let you know!

-Lear
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Disciple

Yes I was lucky enought to Have Kurt give me his last full bottle of Old Hickory, It was one that sold to Medely when they quit and they stamped over Linfield and put KY on the label. It is as smooth as the first day I drank it and I hope some day to get a spare one and Maybe a Bottle of the very first Whiskey I ever drank there Rittenhouse Rye they Make it now at Heaven Hills but to Me the old Continental stuff was much better. Who knows there may be someone out there just getting ready to give me one. It was a joy to have a shot of the old Hickory after all those years. I have just written a thread about when the #12 Still shut down and contary to what some people on the world wide Web say Continental ran it till 1951 making all there bourbons there and Kinsey Blended and Rittenhouse Rye I called an oldtimer almost 90 yrs old that worked there from 1936 till 1980 and he told me flat out it ran till 1951! I will continue to write all I can I had not written for awhile as my old Dog Nikki my best friend died 2 1/2 weeks ago and Jeff made a thread to remember Nikki with Pictures I had sent him on off topic. He was a very wonderful Dog!
    Dave

Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got to taste the "dew" again after all these years.

It sounds like you have a book in you, Dave, waiting to come out!

As for your "best friend", I send my deepest condolences. I wish you the best during your process of mourning your beloved dog.

-Lear
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Hello Dave;
    Thank you for posting all of your memories of the distillery. I have read most of them and find them to be very informative and entertaining. I have have always been fascinated by Kinsey's since the day back in the late 1980's when I went for a hike back thru the game lands and stumbled acrosst the farmhouse and barn in the back and then the road leading up to the backside of the industrial complex. I never knew the place was so big! Over the years I have returned several times to do more hiking and exploring; and have taken a few pictures myself. But the history and functions of the distillery were always hard to come by, your writings have really open up how the place operated in its prime and your pictures explained to me how the place functioned. I have been in some of those same building over the years but never really knew what I was looking at. Thanks again for all the information that you have provided. I was just back there with 2 friends on Palm sunday of this year and the old farm house is all but fallen in and the old barn looks like it has been pushed down. If you have the time, could you fill me in on a brief history of the old Kinsey Farmhouse and when it was last lived in. Thank you again
    bob N.
    p.s. if you have high-speed internet there is a website called pennpilot.org [run thru Penn University I think] and you can find aireal photos of the linefield area from 1942 and 1971 in their archives. The site is a little difficult to navigate but utterly facinating once you get the hang of it. Just thought I would let you know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bbo40 View Post
    Hello Dave;
    Thank you for posting all of your memories of the distillery. I have read most of them and find them to be very informative and entertaining. I have have always been fascinated by Kinsey's since the day back in the late 1980's when I went for a hike back thru the game lands and stumbled acrosst the farmhouse and barn in the back and then the road leading up to the backside of the industrial complex. I never knew the place was so big! Over the years I have returned several times to do more hiking and exploring; and have taken a few pictures myself. But the history and functions of the distillery were always hard to come by, your writings have really open up how the place operated in its prime and your pictures explained to me how the place functioned. I have been in some of those same building over the years but never really knew what I was looking at. Thanks again for all the information that you have provided. I was just back there with 2 friends on Palm sunday of this year and the old farm house is all but fallen in and the old barn looks like it has been pushed down. If you have the time, could you fill me in on a brief history of the old Kinsey Farmhouse and when it was last lived in. Thank you again
    bob N.
    p.s. if you have high-speed internet there is a website called pennpilot.org [run thru Penn University I think] and you can find aireal photos of the linefield area from 1942 and 1971 in their archives. The site is a little difficult to navigate but utterly facinating once you get the hang of it. Just thought I would let you know.
    Hi Bob glad you are interested, the House was built in two parts the frist in 1731 the second half in 1799 by William Evans a son of the original founders of Limerick Pa. The original track of land when Jacob Kinsey bought it was 300 acres. He lived there from 1891 till he sold the plant at owed money Auction in late 1939 / 1940 to Continental Distilling a part of the Publicker Industries Corp. Kinesy built all the front buildings and the other warehouses, the Explosion proof one's all 14 were built from information from a man I know who worked there from 1936 till 1980 around 1944 after they got all the Fire Hydrents you saw between them put in. They when built were the Most high tech whiskey storage aging warehouses of their time. When Continental bought the place they bought 200 acre plus all three Comapny homes the two out front and the Kinsey House by the river. In 1966 William Theodois lived there and was the Plant superintendent He died just around when I was hired of a heart attack at 39 years old. They then Hired Thomas Holman Bryant who worked for Doughertys in 1963 when they bought Dougherty's Distilling in phila in a silent auction. He and Mr Ed Zuca shared the home by the river it was made into two apartments up stairs Mr Bryant and down for Mr Zucca and they moved up from Phila because they had just opened the New Bottling house there and closed the Phila one. Mr Bryant lived there till 1977 when He retired and I am not sure how long after that Ed Zucca lived there but from what I know someone lived in it till early 1980's it had had a brand new roof put on in the late 1970's before the ground was sold to Eugene Ostreicher in 1982 of New York City and Publicker leased the bottling house and tankage and front buildings bottling Antifreeze and other products till 1986 spring when they were gone forever. Ostreicher still owns it and is the one who has left it get destroyed. He charged way more then what he promissed when they leased it and everything just became too much for Publicker they relised to late they should have kept it. A sad story to read and harder for me as I kept the grounds around that house and they were Perfect Mr Bryant even had a swiming pool in the back. Somewhere behind the house toward the river is a marker telling about the very first Post office in Limerick that sat there along the river and that George Washington had been there to send mail. Publicker had put the marker up to honor the spot for history either kids stole it or it is in the bushes somewhere I tried to find it to get pictures but could not. So is the story of the House at the Neck which is what it was called before Jacob Kinsey Bought it in 1891. Hope this helps you understand the place better everything was amazingly in good shape when Publicker was there till 1976 when Mr Sy Neuman died then things started downward for good. He was an amazing leader of Men it has been said and visionary who's idea's back then are used as normal today it was his idea to tear apart the old Bourbon barrels send them to Scotland to be filled with scotch and Publicker was the first to ask the Govermant permission to do this! THE REASON kINSEY ENDED UP OUT OF BUSSINESS IS proabition caused the Plant to sit unused from 1922 till it ended fall of 1933. So that is how it was.
    Dave Z