Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 102 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Well put, Dave. In my career I have often seen big things happen when one person has the drive, determination and ability to make them happen. Nothing of any significance can occur without a dedicated team at all levels of an organisation, but you need one person's drive and constant attention (also, vision) to keep the whole thing moving and growing (think of what Jim does for SB, same kind of thing).

Gary

Disciple

How right you are Gary That one person brings out the very best in the rest of the team and gets things done that seem impossiable. Real Leadership comes from one person willing to try something and having the abilty to get others on board to believe as a team with success as the end game and no thought of not trying or fear! By the way I meant to ask you if you ever in the old days tried Continentals Embassy Club Canadian Whiskey as I have been told by some old timers that it was very good and having not drank it or many of those whiskeys have no Idea and your imput is always good!
    Dave
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ---------------------------------------------------

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I don't recall that particular brand, Dave. In Canada, in the past, and partly because of various Provincial restrictions, there tended to be sold brands made only in the Province or associated to a distillery headquartered there. I grew up in Montreal and so we were Seagram's people, i.e., we bought the whiskies made by the Bronfman family who owned Seagram's then. It was a point of pride, I recall, to drink Crown Royal, but also Seagram V.O. Some families however supported Schenley products, and this often would have been because a member of the family worked there or was connected somehow to the Schenley business in Valleyfield, Quebec (it is now owned by Barton).

I do not recall much Canadian Club being drunk in Montreal then, probably a lot was, but that was an Ontario brand, not a local brand. And very few people (that I or my family knew) drank Scotch. My grandfather did occasionally take a drink of Black and White, but generally our crowd drank "rye" and that almost always meant Crown Royal or more commonly VO or 5 Star. It was consumed with ginger ale, cola and on the rocks, even neat sometimes.

Second to "rye" in popularity then was gin. London dry gin was huge. Not Martinis, but rather gin and tonic.

Gary

Connoisseur

Dave, That's fascinating stuff...Did you ever think about writing a book? It certainly sounds like you have plenty of material.

My Mom now lives in Lancaster and my Wife and I visit every July for a week. Do you ever do tours of the Kinsey distillery, or is it not in shape for that?

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Disciple

Joe if you ever want to take a walk around I will take you I live only 4 miles from it. We have to go in by way of the back near the river as it is abandon and the still is gone but i love to show people stuff and even though the buldings are locked we can walk around and take pictures and I can tell you what every Building was and did! Also the old dSP#10 Rye building a barn is still standing and it is pure history with its Stair case with Kinsey #10 Stenceled on it. There is the old Kinsey Bottle house which was used till 1979 for Liquors and the old Wood and Brick warehouses are still standing too. Walking through there is like a walk in a park and when it was operating it looked like a park. You will see Deer Pheasants birds and cool Breezes from the river. I always loved the Place on the hottest days we wore Winter coats in the Warehouses! I can still smell the wiskey and times when the doors were broken open and you went in You could still smell it coming from the cement floors where it has soaked in!
    BE WELL Joe
    Dave
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnifiecnt Bourbon
    --------------------------------------------------

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Joe if you ever want to take a walk around I will take you I live only 4 miles from it. BE WELL Joe
    Dave
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnifiecnt Bourbon
    Dave, Thanks...I'd reallly like to take you up on that... As we get closer to the time (it'll be somewhere around July 5th) I'll send you a PM for more info. Thanks again, Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Disciple

Joe it would be Pleasure and a good walk to about a mile in and out 14 Explosion proof buildings. And so many things and Buildings it will give you much history of distilling in Pa and the Vision of Si Neuman and Publicker Industries! The steel Racks in the 14 explosion proof buildings were so strong when they decided the stack big barrels they had to use a Welding Rod Cutting torch to cut them to take them out I was there hauling them down to the old steer pens then on the yard gang. You will be amazed at the size of the two big storage tanks even bigger then they look on my Pictures on my threads! Let me Know I love visiting the old girl but not by myself do not want to be out in such a big abandon place by myself at my age 60 any more. I do not think there was any Distillery as beautiful as Kinsey was! It was like being in a beautiful Park!
    Dave
    ----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-07-2008 at 06:23.

Disciple

One last thing It was the safest Distillery & Bottling Plant in the USA those days. Fire drill's every month I have papers from the 1950's when My Dad worked there about the monthly Fire drills and they always started near the old Brick and wood Warehouses. We had lots of Water supply and our own Fire truck and the Local Fire company Linfield Fire Company would come once a month for the drills! It was a Place built with Vision and good old Amecican Ingenutiy!
    Dave Z

Disciple

I wish everyone on this Site could have seen the Plant in those days it was a very Beautiful place and a well run Operation. Publicker not only had this bottle house but one in Lemont IL and a Chemical plant in La and the giant plant in Phila with two stills and a Industrial Bottling house they made Toline, Antifreeze, Fuscol Oil, products to be used in Detergents and much more also 4 Lab's and a Coopering Plant. Those days were amazing and I have never met anyone that was not proud they worked for Publicker and its Affiliates.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------

Guru

I met Dave Ziegler this morning for coffee. What a great guy. I learned a lot more about Kinsey, Continental etc. He is a wealth of knowledge. I presented him with a nearly full 1.75 of Philadelphia Whiskey from Continental. He gave me some old Publicker brochures and labels. It is always nice to meet up with SB.com people.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"