Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 103 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

That's some wild stuff!

Were these type servers popular in restaurants at one time? What would you put under these when heating them...or just strait on the burner? Maybe you heated them with hot water? Did I miss that part of your story?

Great info either way. Keep 'em coming, Dave.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Jeff In the old days you could either heat the water or Coffee and pour it in them or put a little metal ring thing on the Burner turn the heat on low and warm them slowly there then you would sit it in the cup it had a samller bottom with a lip just up from the end and the heat would radiate back at the carafe till you were ready to take it out and pour the Water or coffee in the cup and add the Bourbon. Places you ate at back in the old days had the same thing and they would bring your Coffee about 2 cups a Pint out in the carafe sitting in the cup then you would pour a cup worths put the cap on to keep the rest warm its an early thermal type of Glass. So Continental decided to take it a little farther by selling Old Hickory Bottled in Bond in these neat old Carafes In the 1950's. I had two of the carafes most of my Life the third was given me by The old Government Man Smitty's son as a gift. It had a cap the others were missing, I was lucky enough to find caps for them and the owners Manuel and the gift box for two of them at the Plant a yr back or so!
    I don't think any other Distillery ever made anything like this!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    --------------------------------------------

Guru

Here is a tidbit...collector item:

http://www.scripophily.net/kindiscom1.html

Hmm, what was Kinsey Gold like...."the richest whiskey of them all" ?

Disciple

Jono I am very Lucky to have that very Stock Cert in a Uncanceled state! Here are the rest of the Pictures from my Trip to Kinsey with Fricky & Phils fan!
    Pictures are
    1.The Ladder I had to climb in Warehouse E to get to the 6th and all Levels
    2. One of the Old racks still in ok shape
    3. through 7. Pictures taken in the old Kinsey Bottle House which was used for Liqour Bottling till fall 1979 when they stopped bottling of all Drinking Alcohols.
    8. Facing the back wall of the old Kinsey Dsp #10 Rye still, the space to the Left is where they set up a Bottling Line back in 1936 where the first Barrel was dumped Rittenhouse Rye.
    9. Phils Fan (Joe) and Fricky standing Beside where Old #12 Still was to the Right, behind them some of the old Grain Buildings behind to the left of picture the old Maintaince Barn.
    10. Looking down from the front at Warehouse H and at the back Warehouse M
    11.& 12 the Old Hickory Clock that Bourbon Joe gave me I took it home and spent the night getting it running again it is now stone quite and runs good!
    I want again to Thank Bourbon Joe for this wonderful Clock I want to Thank Fricky for my Lunch and the sipping of Bourbon at his home and I want to Thank Phils Fan for the Wonderful Bottle of Very Old barton Bourbon 100 proof He gave me. What a great bunch of Guys! Siped weller, Old Fitz from 1980 that Phils Fan brought and some 15 yr Old forester a special one forget the rest of the name I had such a good time!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    ----------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-08-2008 at 06:30.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Siped weller, Old Fitz from 1980 that Phils Fan brought and some 15 yr Old forester a special one forget the rest of the name I had such a good time!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    ----------------------------------
    The 15 yr old was actually Wild Turkey......

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    The 15 yr old was actually Wild Turkey......
    Dam you are right 15 yr Wild Turkey I was so much having fun I forgot as we also had some good Old Forester the better stuff there! Sometimes when you are having a good time you get mixed up at my Age, Sorry about that!!
    Dave
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-08-2008 at 07:26.

Disciple

We had a really overcast day in the Plant but as you can see our Pictures turned out very good. On the other post Fricky put a couple with me in them, One in the Old Kinsey Plant lunch room and one on the dock of one of the old buildings and one With Phils fan At Building O the old Government Building.
    We had a good time and the offer for anyone else who would like to look around still stands!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------

Disciple

I hope sometime to take others through the plant while it is still there to see, it is one big 200 acre Place and we did alot of driving there in the old days they always had 3 or 4 cars and lots of old Trucks. We could most times only move about maybe 20 barrels on the truck we just made two rolled on rows and stuck a wedge under the last one on each of the rows! The Barrels on the big Piles were something else after the racks were gone two or three people to stand them once we got them up on the second level of the pile. Standing like that they leaked alot from the heads. Ludy told me the big ones were 300 gal or abouts. We saw an old Barrel ring from one of them down at the place the steer Pens were on Monday. It was really big, I remember the Coopers haveing one heck of a time with them. Ludy said they were no Dam good!
    Dave Z
    =====================================

Disciple

Working At Kinsey was like working where I am now I always went in early and was not in a super hurry to leave it was such a nice place to work. We worked hard but never really thought about it much. The one job I did not like on the yard gang was the unloading of the coal cars as you had to climb up in them to knock coal that would stick off the sides. One of my most enjoyable jobs was just weeping floors in the old Buildings, like the #12 Still. We always were told to keep everything clean and safe. The old buildings were fasinating and I still remember happy breaks in the old tunnel at the bottom of the Still building. The DSP-Pa-12 was built on a small hill and the mash tanks ran all the way down. We rang out in the front room where the Mash tanks were as I have said and fed the fish in the one tank. There were six real big Wood tanks for the mash and in one part of the building was an old Sisterin. Charlie Sipler showered in the old grain building and kept his mobil Buggy with his tools on it In the Barn out in front next to the Old Bottling house is where Frank Kurtas, and Harrison Tyson ( Shorty ) and Lou Steffy worked and Dickie worked in the home made room between the #10 Rye barn and old 1892 Warehouse B. The rooms were not much for room and they were fairly cold those days if you went and looked now you would see. Just an old Barn with stuff stuck in the ceiling to keep out the cold but they never complained. We always worked with what we had. The heat lines ran from the boiler room out front all along the plant to just before the steer Pens which was about a mile or more I would say, they were wrapped in Asbestos to keep them hot. If you look at one of my early pictures I have one with the Pink Mack they are running down the driveway in the back ground. We had real good insurance and coverage for medicine and as I have said made good money. In a old Pay stub dated Dec 9 1969 I took home after tax $101.20 which was real good for those days. We had plenty of Mowing around the plant there were 5 of us mowing every summer including all 3 company houses. And we had to make sure there were no weeds or danyloin. The Lawns were like you would see at a Mansion! We had riding mowers gang mowers and hand rotory and reel mowers the gang mowers were also reel type to give the Baseball field effect on the big lawns. Also there were flower beds and lots of nice trees like the one I put on here I took care of. And I never heard anyone say anything but good about our Whiskeys and other products back in that Day! I am glad I got to take the guys from SB so they could see how very big and how nice the place would have been then. I believe the Kinsey Distillery was the Most Beautiful Distillery there was back then It was like going to work in a beautiful Park!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-09-2008 at 10:32.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Working At Kinsey was like working where I am now I always went in early and was not in a super hurry to leave it was such a nice place to work. We worked hard but never really thought about it much. The one job I did not like on the yard gang was the unloading of the coal cars as you had to climb up in them to knock coal that would stick off the sides. One of my most enjoyable jobs was just weeping floors in the old Buildings, like the #12 Still. We always were told to keep everything clean and safe. The old buildings were fasinating and I still remember happy breaks in the old tunnel at the bottom of the Still building. The DSP-Pa-12 was built on a small hill and the mash tanks ran all the way down. We rang out in the front room where the Mash tanks were as I have said and fed the fish in the one tank. There were six real big Wood tanks for the mash and in one part of the building was an old Sisterin. Charlie Sipler showered in the old grain building and kept his mobil Buggy with his tools on it In the Barn out in front next to the Old Bottling house is where Frank Kurtas, and Harrison Tyson ( Shorty ) and Lou Steffy worked and Dickie worked in the home made room between the #10 Rye barn and old 1892 Warehouse B. The rooms were not much for room and they were fairly cold those days if you went and looked now you would see. Just an old Barn with stuff stuck in the ceiling to keep out the cold but they never complained. We always worked with what we had. The heat lines ran from the boiler room out front all along the plant to just before the steer Pens which was about a mile or more I would say, they were wrapped in Asbestos to keep them hot. If you look at one of my early pictures I have one with the Pink Mack they are running down the driveway in the back ground. We had real good insurance and coverage for medicine and as I have said made good money. In a old Pay stub dated Dec 9 1969 I took home after tax $101.20 which was real good for those days. We had plenty of Mowing around the plant there were 5 of us mowing every summer including all 3 company houses. And we had to make sure there were no weeds or danyloin. The Lawns were like you would see at a Mansion! We had riding mowers gang mowers and hand rotory and reel mowers the gang mowers were also reel type to give the Baseball field effect on the big lawns. Also there were flower beds and lots of nice trees like the one I put on here I took care of. And I never heard anyone say anything but good about our Whiskeys and other products back in that Day! I am glad I got to take the guys from SB so they could see how very big and how nice the place would have been then. I believe the Kinsey Distillery was the Most Beautiful Distillery there was back then It was like going to work in a beautiful Park!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------
    One last thing about the Explosion proof warehouse Buildings they are so cool when you walk in them you feel like you are in the Most wonderful air conditioned building you could be, that part in the hot summer was wonderful and I admit I loved the smell of the Whiskeys it was just to me something wonderful!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    -----------====================--------------