Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Just a quick note on the Publicker / Continental Site I wish they would answer my E mails as I could tell them alot they do not know about the Place but they have never wrote back. I wanted to tell them about when the Still shut down as they seemed to think that it never ran when Publicker owned it, but It shut down in 1951 my 90 year old Friend Ludy told me all about that and they kept it in good shape for the sake of the Grandfather laws as they had hoped to build a new still there in the future back then. If anyone Knows John and Linda tell them to write me as I would love to give them some more information! I try to get as much out about the place as I can and it was trurely an amazing place in the old days a power House of a Company that was very inovative! I wish I could take every one back in time to see the place in the fall of 1969 one of our biggest years with box cars of Whiskeys leaving everyday and truck after truck till about a week or so before Christmas! There were People everywhere working and we were the safest Distillery in our time! And thanks to Si Neuman barrels were reused for Scotch as He was the first to ask the Government about doing that and next American Distillers and all the others, that was inovation! Something that was done over there but not here back then.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ----------------------------------------------

Disciple

Something from the artice about Kinsey that I want to talk about. Mr Kinsey Did indeed Run the plant in his 70's he reopened in fall 1933 at 75 yrs old and at 81 years old lost and sold it at auction to Publicker. His Great Nephew Al Landis age 90 who I met at the talk I gave on Kinsey told me that at age 75 Jacob G Kinsey came to his home and told him I want you to work for me at my Distillery! Also Harold Ludof ( Ludy ) age 90 started there in 1936 He was hired by Mr Kinsey so Mr Kinsey was very much running the place in his 70's. These are facts told to me by living people who knew and worked for Jacob G Kinsey I talked to them to make sure all the story would be told! -----------Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    --------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-10-2008 at 06:31.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yesterday I went to see Ludy again to ask more about the buildings in the front of the Plant and what a couple of them did exactly. The Pictures below are of two of them one was the Drying building for the grains, which is where Charlie Sipler kept his buggy in and the other Building was the milling building were the grain was gotten ready for the mash tanks!
    Pictures of each building in next part had trouble with loading them!
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-11-2008 at 03:35.

Disciple

For some reason the Pictures did not load so here are two of them the others won't load.
    Picture One is the Milling building where the grains went to be ground for Distilling.
    Picture two the building with pipes coming out the one on the left is the maintaince barn is the Drying building where the grains were dryed first, these are original Kinsey Buildings from the begining of the Century and Ludy said when he worked there till 1951 they were used to get the grains ready for the old DSP-Pa-12 still. And am going to try loading the other two pictures yet but not sure I get get them on. When I went to see Ludy last night I took him a copy of an old Blue print of the plants buildings
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-11-2008 at 03:39.

Disciple

Here are the other two pictures it seems when you count on your Computer it will always let you down so sorry about having to put these in 3 sets of writtings but at least I got them on now! I am not the grestest with computers for sure but I still enjoy what you can do with them for History!
    1. Picture one again is of the drying building and the bottom open door just behind the silo is where Old Charlie came roaring out every day!
    2. Is another shot of the milling building.
    I am glad I was able to get these on while what Ludy told me was fresh in my mind.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-11-2008 at 04:01.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Here are the other two pictures it seems when you count on your Computer it will always let you down so sorry about having to put these in 3 sets of writtings but at least I got them on now! I am not the grestest with computers for sure but I still enjoy what you can do with them for History!
    1. Picture one again is of the drying building and the bottom open door just behind the silo is where Old Charlie came roaring out every day!
    2. Is another shot of the milling building.
    I am glad I was able to get these on while what Ludy told me was fresh in my mind.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon
    Ludy last evening was telling me about the day Mr Neuman parked his Bently Rolls next to the Bottling house Mantaince door and walked in. He walked right up to Ludy and started talking about all kinds of things. Ludy said told me he just stood there and talked like a regular Guy we talked about all kinds of things. Then Ludy said I would love a ride in your Rolls teasing and he said maybe someday. This was the Kind of Man Si Neuman was. Brillant and yet down to earth a man of great Wisdom and A Giant of Industry.
    Dave Z

Connoisseur

Dave Ziegler is one great tour guide! Kinsey had to be just an amazing place in it's heyday...The warehouse buildings are massive brick structures that are totally different from the bourbon warehouses we see in KY.

We had a lot of fun, got some great exercise walking around the old Kinsey grounds and a wonderful history lesson from a great member of sb.com... Thanks again, Dave Z!

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    Dave Ziegler is one great tour guide! Kinsey had to be just an amazing place in it's heyday...The warehouse buildings are massive brick structures that are totally different from the bourbon warehouses we see in KY.

We had a lot of fun, got some great exercise walking around the old Kinsey grounds and a wonderful history lesson from a great member of sb.com... Thanks again, Dave Z!

-Joe
    Joe It was a Pleasure taking you guys to Kinsey Till I saw pictures on this site I thought all Distillery Warehouses were Like Kinsey! They were and still are very Stong Buildings as the Picture Fricky put up shows even when the fire company knocked the hole in the wall the building still is standing and fixable. Sadly that is the one with the Fire Observation tower on top. I have been all through it and walked on the roof and it is still ok! The Buildings were wonderful this time of year with the heat if its a Hundred outside its Sixty inside. When Continental built the Explosion Proof Warehouses in the late 30' early 40's they were the most modern way to age Whiskey with fans that pulled air through and A little heat in each one during the winter. I have very Fond Memories of the Smells of Whiskey in them and the Blue fums at the ceiling. Back then it never even came to mind much about the famibiltiy of them. We just did are jobs and were glad to work at Kinsey!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here are two Pictures inside one of the Warehouses Building J looking you can see how big the Pilers were and the old palets of Bottles falling over inside, all left behind when they closed. Those pilers like the walls were full of large Steel Rods, the floors and walls about 2 foot thick or close to that! All the Cement and terracotta made for a real cool place all year round. They were stated to be able to withstand an atomic Bomb, that was how strong they were made, I have an old Broshure My Dad was given in the begining of the 1950's when he worked there and it says Publicker Industries what to do in case of a Atomic Bomb attack and tells them to get into the warehouses quickly! I will take a picture some time and post it. The Cases of Bottles are Inver House Scotch!
    Dave Z
    ----------=====================---------

Nice Picture Dave thank you for showing Don Kinsey