Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Wish i could Paint but can not! I was at Kinsey for 4 hrs yesterday giving a tour to a man,woman and her son. They were amazed at the size of the place. I also got her to take a couple of pictures inside the big grain silo as I could not crawl through without getting Poison Ivy but she could so she took some great shots inside I will post tonight.

Her Husband knows alot about stainless and told me the two big Tanks in the middle of the Plant are 40 feet hight he could tell by the number of sections put together and He knew how big each section was.

The Tanks were built by Chicago Tank, Bridge & Iron Company in 1960 so the steel Plate states on each one. Can any one who lives out that way tell me are they still in Bussiness?

We also found looking around what each of the two tanks capacity was and they each held 499,022 Gals 78 gal. short of Half a million of spirits each for storage meaning that when the broshure spoke of storing from 2,000 to 1 Million it meant just one thing Item and that did not count the two big tanks out back or the many tanks outside and inside the Bottle House or the many tanks in warehouse's P & I which have several 2,000 Gal tanks. So I am guessing that all tanks filled including the two tanks that used to be in the woods which in the borshure are also giant that we had close to 2 million gals of tank storeage there.

Here again is a picture of one of the two stainless tanks. I never really relised how much spirits could be stored there till I went back on these walks through. We had unlimitted capacity I am going to have to look through my Papers for out put in the Big Bottle house. I also got another 80 to 100 year old light bulb from the Old bottle House the ladys son was very tall and was able to reach up and get me one and I showed hiom how to get the explosion proof cover off so he could get a bulb to they were the last two old ones there from the 1930's Edison style.

I took them down to the Old Kinsey House near the river it is sad how it going down and the top of the barn fell in and we discovered the Barn had a slate roof on it.

We spent 4 great hours walking and studing things I also took some shots one up through an old hollow wood piller that came from the grian bin above in the Grain finishing building and insside the worm trough that went out to the #12 still. I will post them tonight also.
    Dave
    -------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Richest Whiskey Of All
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-16-2009 at 04:13.

Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Wish i could Paint but can not! I was at Kinsey for 4 hrs yesterday giving a tour to a man,woman and her son. They were amazed at the size of the place. I also got her to take a couple of pictures inside the big grain silo as I could not crawl through without getting Poison Ivy but she could so she took some great shots inside I will post tonight.

Her Husband knows alot about stainless and told me the two big Tanks in the middle of the Plant are 40 feet hight he could tell by the number of sections put together and He knew how big each section was.

The Tanks were built by Chicago Tank, Bridge & Iron Company in 1960 so the steel Plate states on each one. Can any one who lives out that way tell me are they still in Bussiness?

We also found looking around what each of the two tanks capacity was and they each held 499,022 Gals 78 gal. short of Half a million of spirits each for storage meaning that when the broshure spoke of storing from 2,000 to 1 Million it meant just one thing Item and that did not count the two big tanks out back or the many tanks outside and inside the Bottle House or the many tanks in warehouse's P & I which have several 2,000 Gal tanks. So I am guessing that all tanks filled including the two tanks that used to be in the woods which in the borshure are also giant that we had close to 2 million gals of tank storeage there.

Here again is a picture of one of the two stainless tanks. I never really relised how much spirits could be stored there till I went back on these walks through. We had unlimitted capacity I am going to have to look through my Papers for out put in the Big Bottle house. I also got another 80 to 100 year old light bulb from the Old bottle House the ladys son was very tall and was able to reach up and get me one and I showed hiom how to get the explosion proof cover off so he could get a bulb to they were the last two old ones there from the 1930's Edison style.

I took them down to the Old Kinsey House near the river it is sad how it going down and the top of the barn fell in and we discovered the Barn had a slate roof on it.

We spent 4 great hours walking and studing things I also took some shots one up through an old hollow wood piller that came from the grian bin above in the Grain finishing building and insside the worm trough that went out to the #12 still. I will post them tonight also.
    Dave
    -------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Richest Whiskey Of All
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I just found a site for CBi and they are a very hi tech company so the tanks that we had at Kinsey were very high quality when built!
    The Picture above on the page before this quote shows one of the two big CBi Stainless tanks

Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-16-2009 at 05:18.

Guru

What spiritis would end up in the steel tanks? I would imagine the bourbon was barreled and put in rick houses.....were the tanks intermediary holding places until barreled or were they dump points in the bottling process?
    Or were they used for the other lines of spirits?

Disciple

Great Question Jono they were holding tanks for spirits to be bottled! When we dumped alot of the time it went there to make sure there was plenty in the pipeline.

The two big tanks in the back were used the same way there would be bourbons and other spirits dumped and then weighed in the little weigh house across from last warehouse at the back Warehouse #38 and then pumped back to the tanks in the woods. They were long gone before I could ever get pictures of them but that is how it worked as Ludy told me. Also a tanker of ready to use whiskey from phila as they also had some aging Warehouses there I have been told or stuff bought from another distiller could be pumped right from a rail set that goes right behind the Weigh house. They would bring the car there weigh and pump till the car was empty then take the car our of the plant.

I remember those old Publicker Ind Rail tankers well. The two big tanks I have talked about on this page capacity 499,022 Gal each I have a picture here had their own weigh tank in there between them as can be seen in earlier pictures I have posted of them. They could pump down to them from out back and from them right to the Big 1966 Bottling House.

There were sytems of Stainless steel piping all over the Plant alot has been stolen but some still hang between the warehouses. Also using the tanks in Warehouse P and warehouse I, they could pump different spirits at the same time as there were lines and pipes marked inside the back side of the bottling that had Bourbon, Gin Whiskey,Scotch and Vodka. I took a picture of them one time when I could still get in there and then I broke a couple of them off to preserve and have them at home. They stated Bourbon line ect.

We had so much capcity it still amazes me and makes me sad that such a great tankage and bottling set up is gone forever!

Like the song would say Where Have you Gone Kinsey Continental Distilling the Distilled sprits Drinkers lift their lonely eyes to you!
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    It seems all the Nicest people drink old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Guru

I bet the train crews were able to relieve the tanks of the small amount unable to get pumped out (if not before!)! I am sure more than enough to fill some flasks!
    Chooo choooooooo!

Disciple

Here are some pictures taken on Sunday when I gave a 4 Hr tour of Kinsey to a Man his wife and their Son. They just e mailed me a very nice letter thanking me and saying how much fun they had and what a neat Place Kinsey is.
    Pictures
    1. through 6. Are inside the Big Kinsey Grain Silo out front the Lady & Her Husband on the tour I took went inside to get these for me with my Camera
    7. & 8. I took these inside the Grain worm in the old Grain processing building this worm sent the grain to DSP-Pa.-12
    9. Inside Hollow Wooden beam that brought grain down from the wood vat above on these Plates inide to the grain finishing Machine then to the worms and to the Still!
    10. Painted Sign you can just see Continental Distilling Bonded Warehouse B this warehouse was built in 1892 By Jacob G Kinsey this is one of two that brought barrels down from the wood racks by a chain hoist with hooks on the Barrel head.
    11. The Last Picture is of the painted area on one of the two giant Storage tanks in the middle of the plant if you look close you can see it say 499,022 gal or 78 gal short of half a million gal.
    The people had such a good time I may be taking them back for some more pictures and History Information. Their son really liked the history stuff I told them and I myself had a great time. Their Son says it should be a livng Museum and I should have a little bus to take people on tours would that not be Fun!

Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Richest Of All Whiskeys
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's most magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-17-2009 at 02:51.

Disciple

One of the unusual things that Continental Distilling had and did back during their days of operation was that they had if not the biggest one of the biggest Coppering factories where they designed and built all their Whiskey Barrels and also their own school which fully trained people to build and asemble a barrel completely by themself. Ludy took that training and as I posted awhile back and still has his barrel He built there.

I wonder if any of the other big Distillers Like National had a copperage plant of their own or did they buy fromm one of the independent makers?

The School and Factory were in Marcus Hook Pa. and from what Ludy has told me was very Big and trained you very good. I will never forget the giant Barrels they brought in after we took all the racks out they were double the size of a normal Barrel. While Si Neuman was Living we were always looking for new idea's that would make a better product and at a price to keep the finished product at a afordable price for everyone.

I am hoping when my Friend that was a top Ex for Publicker gets out here to Pa that he will have some pictures of the Copperage plant, he has told me he has all kinds of industrial pictures of The Phila Plant and Kinsey from way back during Operation so I am excited about that.

I am also excited about the Barrels that Fricky is finishing up for us from Kinsey they both say Rye Mash Whiskey on the Head, Continental Distilling and the year 1971 the last year I worked there and as you could see when I posted them are complete and in good shape they will be a real treasure when finished.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

In looking at the Promotion pictures I just posted on the Bottling House thread I saw something I never knew The Last two Pictures I discovered, we made back in 1971 the new 24" plastic Inver House Scotch Gift Bottle. I think it was a display bottle only after now reading it fully I would love to find one of these.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------
    Inver House Soft As A Kiss
    ------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-18-2009 at 03:54.

Disciple

Tonight I was sitting here by myself,sitting and drinking some of Our Peanut Lolita Bottled all those 30 + yrs ago which is the one liqour I love and as I drank it I thought back all those years to the day a 19 yr old Kid working in the yard gang went into the old Kinsey Bottle house for the first time. It was then the only Bottling house I had ever seen and I was amazed watching the liqour flowing in the bottles going down one side and filling from the bottom up one side while a vacume held everything else out.

The old bottle house was beautiful then clean and cranking out 3 lines of Liqour. That day one of the lines was doing products for Jacquins and the Ladies working there were very happy as they had lots of Liqours to due for this order from Jacquins.

The singer machines were working great and as I cleaned the floor I thought WOW this is awesome.

The Old Ladies knew what they were doing and product was flowing out as quick as the singers could bottle it. The stuff would go to the far end where it was cased then it was lifted up through the floor in the open trap door I Have captured in my pictures of the old bottle house.

All the time the old time Edison Light bulbes lighting the place up. I never in my life thought there would be a day the building would sit with its second floor fallen down never to make our Lolitas again.

I never even dreamed I would bring some of the Bulbs home and take pictures of the place in ruin. Life is never what you think,if it was Kinsey would still be there operating and making some of the best Spirits ever made!

So Tonight I lift a toast to all those who made both our Bottling houses run so smooth and to their Memory they were good old fashion Hard working people of the type that make America great.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The richest Of All Whiskeys

Disciple

Here is a Picture of the pay stub of my Old friend Walt Harrington who ran the Kinsey Benifit club when I worked there this was from the last yrs 1983 the company ran and he was then working in the bottling House. The other picture is of two of our Original Office Photo's of display ads for products the first beinfg one telling people to buy our Caffe Lolital and make a milk Shake with it. The second One was a picture of the early display for Imported Inver House Green Plaid I have two of these units of the Red Plaid but none of the Green one put togther on which I have my Inver House collection and one never used.

All these things keep Kinsey and Continental / Publicker Industries alive for History and I am most thankful I can do this and write about them and save al these things from the trash heep!

Quick Note I have also posted Pictures in the Fire room thread and the Bottling house thread!-----------It is Now time to go to Kinsey for a walk and hopefully find something Exciting!

These writings are a work of Love for the Company and Kinsey Distillery which was the Most Beautiful Distilling / Bottling / and Warehousing Plany of its kind in its time.
    "As the Ad would Say Kinsey This Ones For You"
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Richest Of All Whiskeys
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Kinsey The Genial Gin
    Join The Swing To Kinsey
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-22-2009 at 06:26.