Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 45 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I went back to Kinsey On Sunday and got some more pictures and a couple of cool things the Pictures are
    1. A Old Inver House Red Plaid Display unit sitting and rotting in O building
    2. thru 6. Tanks in Warehouse P
    7. & 8. Old Warehouse H got part way in the door pictue of Frieght Elevater and looking down through.

I was able to Get Fricky a Inver House Red Plaid Display never put together and I assembled it and gave it to him. I will post the last of these pictures tonight or Tuesday as it is 5:45-AM and time to go to work!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Richest Of All Whiskeys
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

On Sunday I was able to get inside the other smaller with windows grain silo and took these pictures before the poison ivy and weeds take over again! Here are four pictures of the inside of the Silo.

The large wooden hollow box at the top ran out the side and into the old Grain drying building and from that building to the grain finishing building I took pictures of the worms gears in two weeks ago it would finally go into the DSP-Pa-12 to be distilled.

I very much regret that I did not get back to Kinsey when the Old Still was there as I would have gotten pictures from top to bottom but at least I have a picture of the back of it.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Well I got some great news tonight I took an extra copy I had of my blue print of the Warehouses from 1961 to my friends that watch the place and when I got there they presented me with the 1940 Explosion proof Phone from the Tankage area of Warehouse P that I posted a picture of Last week!
    Picture 1. of it shows it hanging in the office next to the tanks in Warehouse P
    Picture 2. here it is sitting on my chair.
    I am going to talk to my friend who worked for Bell & AT&T for 40 yrs and see if it is possible to wire it to work at home! If so I will get it done as when I am gone it can go to the Getz to be on the wall and used for fun.

They also said they will look and see if there is a better one there and if so get it for me if that happens I will send one of them to the Getz there are 3 I think there!

I can hardly wait to answer the Phone by saying Hello Kinsey Distillery a Division of Continental Distilling a Part of Publicker Industries!

I all ready have the regular wall phone from warehouse M a 1940 hanging in my living room and I got my friend to rewire it.

I was just amazed that they got it for me the only thing that is not perfect is a piece is broken out at the bottom from the cast where the receiver wire comes out.

This is a awesome thing to have and will someday go to a museum somewhere, I have that written in my will about my Distillery stuff to make sure.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Hi Dave,

I haven't posted in any of these threads before as I don't really have anything constructive to add. I just thought I would say my thank you for taking the time to take these photos and share them. I can only imagine that it is difficult to watch a place that you obviously care so much for fading away.

Please make sure your images are backed up well so a computer glitch doesn't rob you of all this history. Stay safe out there and keep them coming as they are enjoyed.

Cheers,
    Morgan

Disciple

Thank You Morgan I reaaly enjoy talking about the Company and its people. Tonight A friend is supposed to wire my Explosion proof Phone so I can use it. At work today another friend made a box to sit it in. I did some research at work today and now have a list of "Aliases used By Kinsey Distillery during the pre Pro time By Mr Kinsey tonight I will scan them and put them on. They come from a pre Prohibition Web site they also show my information was right about Angelo Myers name being used there to market Mr Kinsey's Whiskey's. One of the early Aliases-- was--- " Longaker & Kinsey".
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Here are the Lists I researched on the web of Aliases Names used by Mr Kinsey before Prohibition to sell his Whiskeys. When He reopened it at 75 yrs old after Prohibition was over He used only his own name till he went Bankrupt in fall of 1939.

As It states and I have said many times Mr Jacob G Kinesy was the only owner and the builder of Kinsey Distillery till it was sold to Continental Distilling sometime in 1940 by silent auction.

His Great nephew Al Landis said even at 75 yrs Old Mr Kinsey never gave up on his Distillery and when at 75 Most people would just want to take it easy He wanted to reopen and make Kinsey a success asking Al Landis and Al's Dad Horace as master Distiller to work for him He also Later Hired my Friend Ludy in 1936.

Al's Father Horace went on to Be Continental Distillings master Distiller for all the time the Kinsey DSP -pa 12 & Dsp-pa 10 ran under the Continental name sometime in 1951 from what I can find.
    Then in 1964 was personally sent By Mr Neuman over to Scotland to help set up the continous and Pot still's built there in the training of Distillers and how to run them.

Al Told me last spring that His Dad Horace and Mr Si Neuman were very good friends and Mr Neuman wanted his fathers experiance as master Distiller to be used to train the Men who would run his Inver House Distillery many years at great success!
    Al said they always called His great Uncle Jake Kinsey Pop and he has many fond memories of Mr Kinsey who he has told me was a wonderful Man!

Jacob G Kinsey died sometime around 1952 at age 94 The Kinsey Distillery closed for all operations in the year 1986 and was founded in 1892 making its yrs of opeartion 94 yrs!
    Here are the printed sheets with the Aliase names
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Disciple

Here is a piece of Paper work that I found a few months ago dated 1974 when they put the bigger tank in Warehouse P where my Explosion proof phone came from! Also two pictures of the two never put together Cases I found in P Building and put together for my collection.
    1. Paper work about the tankage I have pictures of a couple of days ago posted on #441

2&3. The two vintage Whiskey cases Glen Flagler & Pinwinnie Scotch from Inver House division of Continental Distilling.

Also My Explosion proof Phone Pictures Posted on #443 is now hooked up in the Living room next to my Collection. It works except for the Bell which does not ring but I have other phones that ring so not a problem. Its cool having it working that I can call someone with it.

I may take a walk To Kinsey today it depends on how the weather is if it clears up.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Niceat people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-29-2009 at 08:41.

Disciple

I really like the Pinwinnie box. It is as original as the bottle and packaging.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Jeff Every Bottle even the 1/10 came with a Fancy box for each bottle a Purple Bag a Brass Medal and an owners manual. I have a couple of Mini's with their little box and the Bag Ludy gave me. I also Have a little owners manual that I found in the Plant and I was able to buy the Brass Medalion on Line to make my collection complete.

I would have loved to have gotten into Kinsey before the Kids smashed some surviving Pinwinnie Green rocker bottles but I found about 3 of them smashed to pieces a couple of years ago.

My Buddy Don found one of the Brass medalions on the floor where the bottles were smashed about 2 yrs ago.

I am always looking for a full unbroken Pinwinnie Rocker Bottle from the company but have never seen any yet. On line or anywhere!
    My Explosion proof Phone works good but does not ring which is no big deal as I have plenty of other phones that ring to let me know.

I guess I am the only Person crazy enough to have such a phone to use and I have it right next to my Distillery collection so it fits perfectly. I took a walk around Kinsey for about an Hour and found another different Glen Flag Ler Scotch Case not put together I got it and one for my Buddy Don and I will put them together at work today.

I called my friends to let them know some of the buildings were ripped open again and He told me a bunch of Kids with Paint Ball guns were walking in the front and He called the cops but did not know if they would come. I hope they did not ruin anything else as I just Hate the way the place is going down.

I am going to look through the many pieces of Paper work I have gotten through the yrs and see what else I have of Interest to post. I did not relise I had the paper about the tanks in Warehouse P that I posted pictures of on #441 till yesterday morning when I was looking through my Label collection and found the paper there. My Phone was in a small office built into the wall in the fenced in Tank section of Warehouse P.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-30-2009 at 02:39.

Disciple

I offten now that I am getting older think about all the guys I worked with at Kinsey Back in the day. I always Liked Shorty Tyson he was a very nice person and I will never forget my friend Frank Kurtas Both in Plant Maintaince who fixed my 1963 chevy for free for me when I broke down at work. They were like family
    Then once I went into the warehouse gang there was Old John S. who needed me to get him Neutrols every morning for him to stop shaking and then whiskey and then he would get nuts and be mad and work then end of the day I would make sure he did not get locked in one of the warehouses and help him walk out alot of times. He never ate his lunch and his wife made him great lunches which he gave to me.

I had thought he was dead for many years and then one day about 8 yrs ago I was at my Ulser Doctor for a checkup and He walked into the waiting room to wait to see the heart doctor and he looked great. I said John your still around he said yeh I quit drinking about 20 yrs ago and don't shake or anything I was just a person who could not handle drinking. He died about 3 or 4 yrs ago in his late 80's.
    I was amazed and happy for him and his wife and family.

Then there was George when I worked in the yard gang he was a piece of work and I called him the Dandy man because on Fridays he would go to the Farmers market in Pay Day pants with little stars and stuff sewn on by his wife.
    One time I saw him there and I said whats with the pants he said these are my dandy pants I go all out when friday comes we live it up get a Sausge Sandwich and fries here and shop a big night out.
    So from that day on I called him Dandy man, at work he just wore regular Pay Day overalls.

He would always get loads of Cinders from the Boiler room and I wondered why till one day he was showing one of the Goverment men Jack some pictures of his farm and I looked and there was one of the Explosion proof green Light hoods and fittings on his Garage light I said George that looks like one of ours here he quickly said heres the next picture and I walked away laughing and now knowing why all the cinders!

And of course there was always my Buddy Charlie Seipler and his 100 Horse Power Flathead Ford on a model -A -frame with no windshield or fenders or hood. Just an old Chair bolted on for him to sit, all built by Dickie Pfieher for him to use to do his building maintaince work and a home made pickup bed of wood on the back every Morning you would hear him reving up and out he would come from the bottom of the Grain drying Building smashing second gear as he turned to come out side ways behind the grain silo and around wheels spinning he would hit high gear once he got on the road and disapear with smoke blowing out of his pipe.

These are just a few of the great people I remember so well from the days of a 19 year old Kid working his first real Good job.
    Dave Z
    =-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink old Hickory
    America's most magnificent Bourbon