Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 46 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Are there any old company photos of the employees as a group? In the old days, railroad pictures especially, would show the maintence crews posed in front of an engine etc.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

The Historic Society Has a Picture of the plant workers loading grain in a Box car after WWII for the Starving People in Russia which was donated to help those with nothing to eat after the war by Publicker and I hope to have some pictures in the plant in Lifield and Phila once I talk to my Friend from the Company in the spring, I am always looking and when I get something will post it.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The nicest people drink old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Well My Explosion Proof Phone is now operational and mounted. A friend at work in the shipping dept built me a wood box to mount it on so it is safe sitting on the counter. It also has a little top to set my small caller ID with call waiting so I now most likely am the only person crazy enough to have an Explosion Proof phone from the 1940's with caller ID and waiting hooked to it, and to use it.
    Here is a picture of the Phone in its case!

This morning I was thinking of my old Boss in the Yard gang John Zuber he was a good guy and never gave me Hell for anything and I am sure at 19 yrs old there were times.
    Many times after a hard day mowing and cleaning He would say lets get a load of trash to take to the dump. We would go get some trash in the old 1951 Ford Pickup then he would get out and say well go down to the dump it is 2:43 you most likely won't get back till about 3:20 take your time.

Well I would get the load pushed off in no time and just sit there which was what he was doing for me giving me a break where no one could see.

He was a good boss all you had to do was just do your days work and He would take care of you. And when I was bumped out I was sad because I really liked working in the yard gang.

But the warehouse Job was good and even paid more. We Had one guy Jim it would never fail we would be taking break in the little Break room and He would sit on the toilet eating and going during Break I always thought what a weird place to eat!

We were always busy at Kinsey and Mr Neuman would drive in to look around in his Bentley a couple times a month and It is still hard for me to believe what I see when I go there now in my wildest dreams I never thought the place would be gone and no more Old Hickory or any of our great products
    But being Older I relise things always change and not always for the better!
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourrbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-02-2009 at 02:31.

Guru

Did Mr. Neuman speak with the employees? Was he approachable?
    Did he ask questions?

Disciple

Yes Ludy told me of one time he had his driver stop at The Bottling house maintaince door and he went in and spoke to Ludy! He always tried to keep a low profile he did not want anyone to think He thought he was any better then anyone else. And he was good friends with Al Landis's father Horace who was master Distiller at Kinsey on Old Dsp-Pa 12.

He liked him so much that when the stills in Scotland were going to open He paid for him to go there and help set them up and train people right. He took pride in People who worked Hard and were good at the things they did.

He always said and I am "quoting my Friend that was a Ex at Publicker"
    that he felt without good People to do his ideas they would not get done and to Have good People you have to pay them good! He said what good are my Idea's no matter how great if I do not have the right people to do them.

Those days were good days we all got along with a common goal to Make the Best whiskeys at prices regular people could aford. Working at Kinsey was wonderful and not at all like job's today where all that matters is Money quick at any cost!
    Dave z
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-02-2009 at 16:34.

Disciple

When I started at Kinsey it was an exciting time there as the new Bottling house had opened up the Old Kinsey Liquor Bottle house was running and there were no layoffs but instead alots of people hired.

When I started there I had a 1954 Chevy and Then I bought a 1955 Chevy Hard top and fixed it all up. Later I would buy my 1963 chev Bel Air stick on the colume first car I ever got a loan for and finally the fastest car I ever owned my 1967 Grand Sport Buick 425 Horse power 4 speed Hurst shifter because working at Kinsey I made good money and had a good job with vacation and Health Insurace I was very blessed.

After I left Kinsey because a neighbor talked me into working for him a Job that was one of the worst I ever had I wished I had never Left Kinsey, I tried to get back but they were not hiring and so that was it.

It is always very Hard even after all these years to go there and see it in ruin. I always lement why couldent someone good have bought the place instead of this slum Landlaord guy who lets it rot and who after Continental went under after He raised their Lease prices, just shut everything Off Boilers sprinklers and electric and Fired anyone there who worked for him and left it go to ruin.

It was and still is the most Historic Company in all of Limerick Township and for better then 75 yrs of its running was the biggest employer in Montgomery County.

When I left late in 1971 it was in perfect shape and up till early 1982 when they sold it to him for capital to reopen the bottling house as an industrial bottling plant and lease the tanks and buildings they needed to everything was sprinkled and had power. It was Him that basicly Murdered the Kinsey Plant just shut it down walked away and went back to NY for good.

I just wish someone would have steped in back in yr 2000 when the still was standing yet and bought the place and made the front buildings into a living History museum. But no He let some people take an option to buy they went in said they were going to fix the place and all they did till they walked away from the option to buy was steal metal and copper and knock down Old Dsp-Pa 12.

I all but cried when I saw the still was gone and that I could not get any pictures of it thankfully yrs ago I found the couple pictures I have of it on the web the day after they disapeared forever.

That is why I take all the different shots I can for the memory of Kinsey and all the people that worked there.

I hope that the stuff I put here can give you an idea of those days and what Kinsey was like and what it was like working for Publicker Industries.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Here are some more Pictures I took on Sunday April 5 at the plant!
    1. Warehouse H looking from 1966 Bottling house
    2. Looking up from lower floor to second floor of old Kinsey bottling house
    3. & 4. Front of Old Bottling house near road
    5. Another shot of Old kinsey Bottle house near road
    6. Brick and wood warehouse E shared a wall with warehouse D
    7. thru 10. Warehouse D insideincluding ladder I had to climb up to go to upper levels to roll barrels.
    11.Writting on wall in warehouse N says 1951
    12. Electric switches on wall inside Warehouse N
    13. thru 17. An Old Barrel Lift in warehouse N there are 3 of them sitting in this building on the first floor. I remember using them well!
    I always get a strange feeling seeing the place in ruin I loved working there I loved our Products and I hate seeing it like this. It is like losing a family Member seeing it like this.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

I have lately been Talking to Thomas McKenzie who is the Master Distiller for a new small Distillery in Finger Lakes NY. "Finger Lakes Distilling Company. He is a member of this site and wrote me about the old Barrel Lifts at Kinsey and He was very interested in making a new Peanut Liquor I sent him a sample and He said everyone tried it and really liked it. So He saved some to get a lab test done and also to taste it against what he makes to compare to get the best of how it was made to make a new version of His own.

He said everything I said about Peanut Lolita was true it is full of good Bourbon flavor and then the roasted peanut flavor comes at you. Also I sent him about 1 1/2 shots of Old Hickory and He said its really good and the ownly Modern Bourbon that seems near he has had is 4 Roses Yellow Label. This was the 80 proof that I got from Jazz Head and was distilled right before the company gave up.

I will keep you posted on the Peanut Liquor as I know there are many on this site that would like to give Peanut Liquor a try and if he can come of with something close would be awesome.

Their web site is www.fingerlakesdistilling.com

They are just starting to to operate fully and Thomas was looking to make something special in a Liquor and then he read my writings about Peanut Lolita so I gave him a call and sent him about 80ML + of it to test and try.

He is hoping to get a few things from my friends that watch Kinsey and he needs a good Barrel stacker and the ones there are as strong as you can get.

Now if I could Find a Big Distiller to buy the name and recreat Old Hickory the right way that would even be better. Thomas said of the Old Hickory It was a delightful Bourbon -----Which fits with our Old slogan
    About - Old Hickory Being America's Most Magnificent Bourbon-
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-07-2009 at 09:54.

Guru

That is terrific Dave and Thomas.....good luck to all in your new distilling efforts.

Disciple

Jono and everyone I am most excited about the chance to see someone making Peanut Liquor and I told Thomas there will be I'm sure many on here that will give it a try as a mixer or just straight with or with out Ice. It is something I look forward to seeing and I hope it sells by the tons for Him!

He plans to make the way we did using Good Bourbon with the Peanut flavor no Brandy or the other stuff they use so offten.

I wanted to share their site and this good news so lets hope He can come up with a great Bourbon recipy to recreate its flavor.
    Dave
    Why Not A Peanut Lolita tonight?