Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 47 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Is anybody alive who knows how it was made? Would that have been in Philly?

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I do not know who did the blending Of Liquors there but the making of the Peanut and all liquors was done in the Old Kinsey post Prohibition Bottling House there are still old vats and mixers sitting on the first floor and the way it worked there were 3 lines running front toward the road the middle line was almost always used for caffe Lolita Liquor one of my Pictures shows a caffe Lolita label on the piler where the line was as it was a giant seller.
    And the other two could be used for Amareto Lolita and Peanut Lolita and Continental Ainsett and our other products of that type and also we did many lots of Liquors for Jacquins in there.

Even when whiskey was bottled in Phila at Bigler street the Old Bottle house did liquor for most of the time the company operated, it was an ideal little place to make Liquors!

I thinK even our Continental Black Berry Brandy was done in the old Bottle house for a while on the Phillip Singer Bottle machines. All Whiskeys and Gins, Vodka & Rums where done in the Big 1966 Bottling House plus contract work for Seagrams and others!

The Lines if you look back at my pictures of the Old Bottle House ran out toward the road the back room would have ladies packing them back in cases full and alot of the bottles were hand labled there at the end of the line. The new bottles and boxes came down through a trap door in the ceiling and the whiskey used was dumped in a trough which I have taken pictures of that is laying under what was the separte second floor side part explosion proof setup seperate from the rest of the second floor to dump whiskey needed.

When the cases were full they were moved on pallet by hand to the trap door lifted with a lift up through the trap door to the second floor there was a large set of doors where the pallet would be put and a fork truck would pick them up and take them to shipping when I worked there .

At a time before the front drive way was changed there is an old dock at the front doors where when Kinsey operated the Plant they would ship out at it.

I also a couple of pages back put some shots of the old front Bottle house dock. Page 46 #457 #3 through 5 Old Front Dock.
    You could in a pinch get there with a small truck to get stuff too!

I always feel so dam bad when I see the old bottle House in Ruin and the reason it is in ruin is that when the People who were supposed to be fixing the place on opion to buy and build a propane Electric Plant there from the owner were burning Metal caught a tree on fire and the fire went on the roof and when it was put out it held for many years till this winter when snow on it brought it down. The fire is also the reason the old Company office that Kinsey built is just a pile of bricks.

I just feel so mad when I think how they never planed to fix the place just steal metal and knock down the still for metal all under the story they wanted to build a propane Electric plant there and were waiting for aproval which they knew they would never get from people who live near so they stole all they could opened doors on all the upper floors of the warehouses so they could see to cut all the pipes out telling the township they were fixing the place.

I have no time for people running companys like that, and when they took the heat lines down they put asbestos in bags and left it behind. The guys got someone who handles those things to take the Asbestos away safely as directed once the Owner found out after they abandon their so called project.

Poor Kinsey Once Si Neuman died continental Died and Kinsey died.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------
    It seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Old Hickory America;s Finest Bourbon
    kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Join The Swing To Kinsey
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-08-2009 at 06:14.

Disciple

I am looking forward to Spring and meeting the man who was a top Ex at Publicker.Once I talk to him I will put a name on here for him. I have had Fricky make me up a Barrel Stave from warehouse H with The Mans name and Publicker / Continental Distilling on it . I am going to give it to him once I meet Him.

What I am really looking forward to is getting to hear as much as I can about the operations of Publicker and the building of the Explosion Proof warehouses at Kinsey and looking forward to seeing all the Industrial Pictures of the plants he has told me about.

He has told me he has hundreds of pictures of the Phila Plant and other operations. He knows so much more then I do! I am going to try and call him tomorrow as have not talked to him for a month.

I am going to go over to the plant after I go to early Church tomorrow as I need a switch for one of the last two Explosion proof switch sets I have made up.
    I am most fortunet to have a friend in electrical Maintaince who is building the last two of my living history Lighting Switch sets. I have all the parts except for one switch.

When I was there on Friday there was no one around. I just no matter how many times I go there can not believe the ruin it is in! It was always so well taken care of and everything lit up at night it just seems weird to me. I wish I could go back in time and bring it back and move
    on quickly to keep it going. Seeing it is like watching an old friend die.

I went to see Ludy today he is working his way to 91 years old on 9/12/09. He was of good cheer and I enjoyed listening to him tell me about Kinsey in the Mid 1930's. I took him a picture of the plant he lent me blown up to see the #12 still and the other front buildings only.

Ludy was very Happy I gave him the picture and we talked for a good Hour +. I just hope everything works out and I can meet the Exc. and give him a tour of what is left of the place.

I never get tired of writting about what it was like working there. Kinsey was filled with lots of Peaceful hard working people and its 94 yrs of Operation is a testiment to its great History.

Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey for Unhurried moments

Dave, It's great you found someone interested in making the peanut liquor. I sure hope it works out. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Joe speaking about the Peanut Lolita I am sending a 750 ML. of it down with Fricky and Bourbon Joe for anyone who wants to give it a try at the bourbon Social.

I hope that anyone tasting it would give their thoughts on it once they try it!

I sure hope the Distiller From NY can come up with a good Peanut Liqour I love it all kinds of ways and Just finished a bottle tonight. He told me he was going to have it checked at a Lab in Ca.

I Had today off for vaction and took a little walk in Kinsey and came home with the top part of a Explosion proof light and I mounted the globe tonight. It came from the sealing of the old Kinsey Bottle house and I now have the Bulb,globe and hanging fixture. I will post a picture soon here.

Last Night I talked to my friend from Publicker but he does not want me to use his name however he is going to give me acess to hundreds of Industrial pictures of the Publicker site back from the 1940's and on. He said this summer I will spend days looking at Pictures.

He took my Home number to make sure he had it right to call me when He does get to Pa. I have dreamed of posting Pictures of the Continental / Publicker Phila site and it will be a dream come true. I will keep everyone posted on what is Happening!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Just a note on The Fate of Guckenheimer that has been talked about! In the mid to late 1970's after American distilling quit the Drinking Alcohol Bussiness to make Gasahol Continental Bought the Guckenheimer Brand as it was made in a blended form from American with the Stillbrook and Colonial Gin brands and also the Bourbon Supreme Label and canadian Host.

I found several broken and trashed Guckenheimer Boxes in Warehouse R but they were beyond fixing up. I did see a couple of Bourbon Supreme ones. And the Boxes on some say distilled in Pekin IL bottled at DSP-Pa-12 Linfield pa. Others say Distilled at DSP-Pa-1 Phila bottled DSP-pa-12 Linfield pa and I was able to save a Bourbon Supreme Box for my collection.

Also I am fairly Sure that one of the top People At American Distilling was Phillip Publicker who I am fairly Sure was the brother of Harry Publicker, the founder of Publicker Industries and father inlaw of Si Neuman.

I am really looking forward to meeting My friend who was one of the most important People At Publicker He does not wish his name to be put out in Public but I can tell you he was a right hand man to Si Neuman and was very close to Him!

I wish everytime I go to Kinsey That I could save it and My Friend told me it is going to be very Hard for him to see it in ruin but He wants to walk through and remember it from his days of youth and how beautiful it was.

I am sure he will be able to tell me so much. He told me it will take many days for me to look through his pictures of the Phila plant & Kinsey he said he has boxes of pictures in operation. I also have to help him with some things he wants to give to Museums in pa.

I hope I get some feed back from those of you reading here and going to the Social about the peanut Lolita I am sending with Fricky & Bourbon Joe and I talked to the master Distiller at Finger Lakes last night and he is working on a small batch right now. I also told him that my friend Told me that Jock Lerux was the person that Continental paid to formualate their Liqours.

I do not Know if Mr Lerux is living but if he is Thomas the Master Distiller at Finger lakes is going to try and talk to him to try and make a liquor as close as he can to the original! My Friend was excited about it being made again and I told Thomas that!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-===-=-=-=-=--==-=-=-===--===-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Enthusiast

Dave,
    As you probably know, brandy and cordials are produced and bottled by Leroux & Co., Cincinnati, OH. Is or was the Leroux mentioned by your friend connected to that endeavor?
    Doug

Disciple

Wasn't Leroux the brand that lead Beam to buy National Distillers?

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

I am always amazed when I go to Kinsey and see all the things that were left behind. When My Friends let me pick out two barrels for me and Fricky there were about 47 good barrels left in the building after all these years! I picked out the two best ones I could find.

While in there they showed and a large stump Filter with the bag type filter still in it and old whiskey in there that had not evaportated yet after 30 yrs sitting there. It was about 1/2 full.

Also it is sad to think that in the one warehouse there was at one time Pallets to the roof 22ft high filled with whiskeys and Liqours that people went into and set fire to around my guess 15 yrs ago as when I saw the remains yrs later there was no smoke smell but it would have taken years for that to clear out of the building as poor air flow. Everything was black and destroyed. Yet the Building is fine it just burned till it went out and the only damage to the building is a few of the inside layer of bricks cracked a little but very little a tribute to the how well they are built.

Young Poeple going there destroying things is the worst part as they just go there to break things for fun. That is all the more reason I try to save what I can. I have chased a few of them off while there and some who are behaveing I will take around and explain things.

There were remains of Whiskey, wine we marketed called Haller's Ros'e and Liqours. All had been tax paid stuff that no one would buy when they closed and the government would not refund any monies paid in tax!

I know because I found some papers that had them asking for a reduction so they could find some one to sell them to. This is the sad end of Continental & Kinsey due to people taking over the company and losing site to what made the company great and the ruin that came upon the company. Closing that fatefull day in 1986 forever with Peoples Lunches still sitting there never to be eaten and whiskeys never to be drank and the greatest most prolic maker of Alcohol gone forever.

All because there was no one with great idea's after Mr Neuman died to come in and save them!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Sunday Afternoon I decided to go for a walk at Kinsey it was a nice day and wanted to just go there! I saw a family walking way out in front of me taking Pictures and exploring and I also saw lots of the buildings ripped open by the younger people who always do that. I saw that O building was open which is the old Government Building and found some old Paper work from 1959 about water testing and brought it and another paper home dated 1959 a small blue print of when they built the water Deionizer set up in O building.

Also an old Hazardous material shipping marking and labeling Inter office Communication from Dec17,1976.

It was sent to Mr Bill Theodosis who was plant manager then till the mid 1960's when at his late 30's he died of a heart attack, Just around the time I started there. I went into O building and found lots of Our Patented promotional Whiskey Pourers which work great they fit different sizes of Bottles and when you are done you just pull them out and cap your Bottle no spilling of Liqour pouring.

I got on my Knees and picked up 40 of them which I have washed and I am going to try and send them down to the Bourbon social with Fricky to be given out to. Also I got on my knees and picked up about 40 Coldstream British Gin sale bottle toppers. which if I can meet up with him I will send to be given out. We always had neat things to be given to customers for Promotion and they were most times very inavative!

I also found some better covers for my lighted power strips while there and hope to get back soon. I am sending a full bottle of Peanut Lolita Liquor with Fricky for anyone who wants to try and hoping for some feed back. I have yet to have anyone who did not like it!
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It seems All the nicest people drink Old Hickory
    America's most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-20-2009 at 09:14.