Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 48 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Well for anyone going to the Social There will be free 1960's/1970's Patented Continental Distilling Pourers and 30 yr old Vintage Coldstream British Gin Bottle diplay toppers as I was able to meet Fricky Yesterday after Work and give them to him to give out with the Skol Vodka Labels I gave him to give out too! And a Full 32 yr old Bottle of Peanut Lolita liquor to taste! Working For Publicker it seemed they always had something neat to give to customers and Liquor Stores for them and their Patrons!

These Pourer's work very well if you have a bottle out you are drinking and when done just pop them out and cap your bottle, they are made to fit different Sizes as they have little ribs that get bigger as they go up they are cone shapped and I use one all the time saves you from seeing your Bourbon drip on the table!

The Bottle toppers were used at the Liquor store to show the price of Product and Coldstream was Our Biggest selling Gin!
    I remember Well the tops of the cases Of Skol Vodka saying "Don't Say Vodka Just Say Skol"
    We had so many slogans for our Products and untill Mr Neuman Died we were one of the most Inavantive Companys around in those days.
    Everytime I go back to Kinsey I just can't Believe it has come to such an end.

I hope by the next time you have a Social in the fall to have some other Publicker goodies to send down because there is no better way to save History then to give out vintage stuff from there to people who will pass it on some day to someone else so it is always worth my going and getting on my Knees or climbing whatever to save things for History.

Fricky Also Has a set of Uncut Tax strips to give to the Getz from me for history and I have through the yrs shipped them 13 bottles and other things and I hope to send some good stuff down in the fall to them!

It seems anymore that I am the last person to write about pa Distillerys and I will keep Publicker/ Continental Distilling and Kinsey Alive while I am here to do it!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-21-2009 at 03:59.

Disciple

One of the Most looked forward to things I want to do this spring and Summer is to meet My Friend who was a top person for Publicker and Knew Si Neuman as well as anyone Knew him. I am very hopeful to see Lots of Industrial pictures of Kinsey Besides the Phila Plant and look forward to borrowing them and doing some picture Posting of these one of a Kind Industrial Pictures He has told me about.

As you Know well I am most Proud to have worked For Publicker Industries and it excites me to think I may get to see many one of a kind Photos of both plants!

Everytime I walk there I lement on how sad it is to see it the way it has gotten. For When I worked there it was the most wonderful of places to work and a Very Beautiful Place with its trees and gardens and well kept old Buildings! Mr Si Neuman made sure they kept the place well and He would ride through every Month to check things out. Lawns better be neat and weeds free and Buildings better be clean and safe back in those days.

When I would ride down to Atlantic City back then on a vacation in my 1963 Chevy when I went over the Walt wittman bridge I would be so proud to see the Old Hickory Neon on the stack I would Think Wow I work for them!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

Disciple

Yesterday I had to go into work an hour early to do something and got done an hour early so I took a walk through Kinsey and got something I needed for my Last Explosion proof Pilot light set. I got a double box and two nice pilot lights from Warehouse R.

I have on my Desk besides two sets of lighting switchs and pilot light sets a Large 5x5x31/2 high Explosion Proof Throw switch box I got from Warehouse #38 I now have all I will need to wire and make it light the pilot lights I got.
    My Friend Paul the company Electrician is going to wire it for me Monday and then I will post a picture of my Desk with the Pilot lights all lit.

I have since having to take my Beer can collection home made my Office a sort of 1940's/50's set up and Have brought in my Old model cars I built when I was young. I have them and the explosion proof Lights on my dsek now with a large barrel Stave that Fricky made up for me with my years of Service and the dates at Kinsey!

I will post a picture here of the desk with switchs and Barrel stave and background pictures of Kinsey.

To tell you the truth I like this stuff better then the beer cans I do not miss them, home sitting boxed up in basement.

No matter how many times I go to kinsey I always have to look hard when I walk in as just does not seem possible that there is nothing going on there no security guys no one! It just does not after all these Years seem it could be that way but it is. I scarced a young guy up to something off when I walked in wearing my Security Hat, he went running out!

As Long as it is there I will go back to save things for History and will write about it as long as I can. Like The song from my Youth said

" Those Were The Days My Friend We Thought They'd never End"
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==--
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-24-2009 at 11:05.

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Dave, you are doing what you can to keep it alive....at least in a fashion. Think of how many people now know something about a distillery most of us had not heard of and the impact on the distilling history in this country.
    It may be a "dead" place...easing into disintegration...but it lives on virtually.
    The local library / museum will have much to display. Who knows, there could be a small revival someday if anyone took an interest in making PA whiskey again.

Disciple

Many Thanks for the Kind words Jono I went to Kinsey today at 8:30-AM till 12:30-Pm. I took alot of pictures as people had ripped open all the warehouses.
    I posted some new ones from the roof of the Old Warehouse Q of the Fire Observation room on that thread this afternoon and now going to post other pictures I took.
    1. Shot from window on front staircase of Warehouse J of the two 1/2 million gal tanks
    2. Fork lift truck in warehouse S
    3. Looking down toward warehouse R
    4. Electric Boxes on wall first floor Warehouse Q
    5. Sign in stair well Warehouse Q fire tower warehouse
    6. & 7. Dump trough warehouse #38
    8. Exlopsion prrof Elevator warehouse Q
    9. another shot of the dump trough in warehouse #38
    10. thru 15. Barrels sitting in warehouse C where I got me and Fricky our two Barrels.
    16. The Stump whiskey Filter warehouse C
    17. Whiskey still sitting in filter housing Warehouse C
    18. Tank in Warehouse C
    19. thru 21. I think the last surviving 120 gallon I think Large whiskey Barrel top head fallen in warehouse C

It is always so unreal when I go to Kinsey as I walk in I expect security to drive up and to see trucks roaring around and people everywhere and all I saw were Hawks flying around crowing!

If like me you would have worked there you too would wonder WHY_!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

When I revisited Warehouse C Sunday morning I was amazed at how many Barrels are still there and in Good Shape. When my friends let me in took pick out a barrel for Fricky and me I was just looking to find the two nicest tightest ones I could find and did not really take in how many there were.

Also I did not see the 120 Gal Barrel the only one I have seen that exsists in the plant. And If you could have seen the Hoop down back last Summer when I took Fricky and Phils fan in you would have been amazed at its size it was for our 320 Gal Barrles. They were Short and very fat and besides being of white Oak and charred they had charred Strips of White Oak put in them also!

They were Hell to move on the pile and the 120 were certainly not easy to move either. We would use the Lift to stack them and about or 4 People would work them standing on the piles of Aging Whiskey Barrels. I will never Know why they got the Idea to do away with the racks but they did and no original Steel racks exsist in the plant!

Every Time I go back to Kinsey I find something Exciting to look at or bring Home and I feel blessed that I can tell about the Company and its legacy in pa for Fine Spirits and a great place to work.

I have no Idea if any of the now operating Distillerys have ever had flower Beds and trees and perfect lawns as we did then but If you could go back in time you would feel like you walked into a beautiful Park and Wild Life reserve going in there back then!

I was also amazed at how many old Electric Fork trucks still sit in the warehouses and all the never used bottles even though people keep coming in and smashing them.
    It makes me sick and I do whatever I can to stop them when I catch them!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-28-2009 at 05:43.

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Those barrels certainly could have been sold off....what a waste.
    All of the glass could be recycled....if not sold....somebody else could have put their own labels on them.
    Just think.....2,000 yrs from now some archeologist (assuming mankind still lives!) will be digging and will unearth ancient bottles and the foundations of an ancient human habitation of some sort. I suppose whiskey will never go away....it may be made differently...probably ala Jetson's / Star Trek...push a button and a computer "creates" the product.

Disciple

This is why I try to save every Type of Old case I can from there I just brought home a nice Old Hickory Quart Bottle case that was date stamped 11-6-62. The Company always tried to keep stock looking to use it some day but one of the Big Problems they had was the switching to Metric Sized Bottles after buying many years of Bottle stock through the years.

When they moved the bottle house to Linfield in the Kinsey Plant they shipped up old Bottles and other stuff too! The 1962 dated case would have been from Phila. I found a smashed case of Crafes dated 1951 in one of the warehouses that young people destroyed. To top it off they had been full as had BIB tax strips on them when the Young People smashed them what a waste Old Hickory 100 proof BIB.

I also found papers where they were trying hard to sell Bottle stock and Whiskey and could not get many to buy some when they quit bottling Spirits. So they moved them to the warehouses in Hope they could move them later.

Mr Medley Bought Whiskey labels and Bottles and full bottles from us back in late 1979 early 1980's. But even the Government would not help by refunding taxes so they could sell the bottled stuff and let the buyer pay the tax so it sat tax paid and got burned up by People looking to destroy things many years ago.

Such is the sad End of Kinsey and Publicker!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickkory

Disciple

After Work Weds I went for a walk at Kinsey again I found a brand new Appleton electric Box and A pilot light which I brought home to save and my friend at work is making me one more Powered Explosion Proof Display unit. I wish I had millions of Dollars I would buy Kinsey and get it all fixed up but That is just dreaming.

In my older Years I have learned what we all do, when we get older Things are never the same and you must savor the moments as they do not come back! Kinsey was a one of a Kind Distillery in its products and its Beauty I doubt there has ever been a Distillery as Beautiful as Kinsey was the Years Publicker ran and owned it!

I always enjoyed being in the yard gang although it had its moments. Like the time we swept the Fire escape stairwells from top to bottom and they were full of dead pidgeons! And unloading the Coal cars at the Boiler Room area. But we had a very Good Boss in John Zuber and he made up for the bad things by not pushing us too hard.

I loved driving the old 1951 Ford pickup around the plant and it really ran good. The Summer was the best time in the Yard Gang as we traveled all the way through the plant triming and mowing lawns mulched Trees and fixed flower beds. I wish I had a picture of the plant in early Spring it was ablaze with Flowers and bright green grass.

Dozens of Pheasants Flying around and deer walking behind the Warehouses. And my favorite thing which was going on there yesterday Cool breezes coming up from the River through the Plant.
    The beauty of the plant made coming to work a joy. Mr Si Neuman Loved the Kinsey Distillery and before He died There was much talk of building a brand new still there and I believe if he would not have died so sudenly many good things would have happened there, and He would never Have sold it to Someone like the Person who ownes it now and lets it Rot!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    It seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

Disciple

From back when I worked for Publicker one of the best things they had going besides making great Bourbons and Whiskeys was that they kept the Prices right so you could aford them. An example is Old Hickory which was around $5.95 for a fifth and it was available in most of the USA and oversea's. With the Old Lemont ILL bottle house cranking bottles out to go out west I remember traveling and seeing it everywhere!

It seems so unreal for Old Hickory not to be made anymore to me as back in the day it was the Largest selling Bourbon around. We Had 80 proof, 86 proof and BIB 100 Old Hickory and the youngest was 6 years old with versions in 8yrs, 10yrs and a 20 year aniversary version of it.

I hope in the future to find some more Old Hickory in someones not used Liquor cabinet. Or somewhere. Old Hickory will always be my favorite Bourbon.

I hope that someone some day will buy the brand and make a premuim Bourbon again for this great Whiskey Brand! I Did not get to Kinsey this week but hope to Sat or Sunday.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink old Hickory