Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Well Yesterday I took my normal Sunday walk through Kinsey and also got the parts I needed to make Explosion proof switch & Pilot light setups for Fricky and my Buddy Don. My friend at work Paul is wiring them for me plus one last one for me. This project is now complete and I will soon post pictures of the 7 sets I have in my office all parts from the distillery and even some have 50 yr old Bulbs from the plant in them.

While there I routed through some paper work which I will look through tonight if I feel better as I have a very bad Prostrate infection and everything hurts bad.

I was in about 4 of the buildings and took a couple of Pictures of cases of Bottles falling over in Warehouse R after sitting stacked for 30 yrs.
    It is really sureal for me every time I go there as it all just does not seem possible. But Kinsey like many other things is now just a place where everything is old and ruined and out of date.

I found my friend at work the last Pinwinnie card board Whiskey case there that was new and never put together and made it up and gave it to him with a nice Philadelphia Blended Whiskey Trade show bottle for this round of his help wiring the switches.

It was a very windy day and some of the sounds you hread if you did not know the place would be scary. Doors to the roof wide open slaming open and shut moaning strange sounds coming through the buildings broken stairwells windows. Even the Elevator fire door in warehouse I shaking and sounding weird.

It was a most beautiful day on Sunday and the river breezes were blowing up through the plant, and like in old times made it a very Pleasant place to be. It was cold in the buildings and they are getting so bad that I fear no one will ever use them for anything again. I could almost feel the Distillery crying saying woe is me for no one wants or needs me or even remembers me.

And I felt very Sad and wished I could return her to the glory that she once had as America's Most Beautiful Distillery. Such is life things and people grow old and go. But as long as I can remember Kinsey she & Publicker and Si Neuman will live on!

This morning I was preparing the Pilot lights and took one of the Lens out to clean it and saw some silver Paint on it and it took me back to Charlie Siepler as He would have been the one to touch up the paint on the Electrical Headers on the walls. We painted and kept up everything and Charlies job was keeping thing nice and painted and working and looking good. I could see the Old Buggy of His in my Mind racing to the building to touch up signs and docks and everything.

How I loved watching him rocket out of the gain drying building in the morning banging gears and spinning wheels. And that old 100 HP Flat head motor sounding great!

I am very blessed to have worked there the few years I did and met the people I did some after all these years still living and being my friends.

We live in such a different world today, those days were of a hopeful happy time and people glad for their jobs and content with their Lives. We had a team spirit working in the plant and work was a happy and good time for us back then!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people drink old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Are there any Neuman family members still around? Any with an interest in the distillery?

> Hope your prostate is improving...owww.

Disciple

I am fairly sure there are 3 left two Sons and a daughter of the Neuman Family the problem is the Guy that owns the place wants $20 Million dollars for it in ruin! The Township wanted to buy it till they got his price every one knows that is way to much to just get the plant leaves no leway for money to fix it up.

If the owner had any sense he would have never abandoned it when everything was operating. Once he shut it down and left for 23 yrs everything is getting in ruin.

I reallly wonder how the guy can be so rich when he has no sense to have kept it open and for sale back in 1986 when industrial places like that were very sellable and the #12 still was standing it would have been easy to do something with it but he went back to NY and never returned for yrs.

Last Summer I heard he came down to get some bottles for a friend that has a winery then left again as if all is well. The guys told me that they can't figure him out either and he pays them so little that right now they are just doing their summer work and not checking anything as when I was there all the warehouses were open.

The whole thing is hard for me I can't believe that he just left it all to rot when he left it was still a nice industrial property and now look at it.
    I would have made the front into a living History Musuim and made the Buildings into Condo's if nothing else.

Called it the Condo's at Kinsey Distilling History Center but what do I know!

One other thing I did not remember till I was getting electric switch boxes was the doors in the warehouses had some type of electric latch on them which I noticed on each one on the inside I think you had to throw a switch to open them. I will get a picture of the setup next time I get there.

But The owner let those people have a option to buy and they stole all the wiring out of the buildings while telling him they were fixing it and also telling Limerick township they were fixing it. Then they caught the Old Bottle house on fire and knocked down the still and the guys told me they don't think he even knows what they did back in 2004.
    Just a note tonight I am going to put a couple of Pictures I took on Sunday and talk about them and the ruin.

Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-12-2009 at 04:52.

Disciple

Just a quick note when I was talking to Ludy about the Bottling House at 11:00 am he told me that the racks in all the 14 explosion proof warehouses were 6 tier's high on each floor and again all holding 333,000 barrels per floor times 3 floors. For a total of 999,999 barrels per warehouse back in the day!
    Dave Z

Guru

It might be interesting to contact the Neuman family to see if they have any history to share....maybe they have a large private stock of Old Hickory!

Disciple

Jono I am sure they would have lots of info if you knew where to go and visit them. I will be finding out lots of things from my Friend who was a top person in the company soon and will ask him lots of questions if it all works out as hoped in early June. I am very Hopful and excited about seeing the mnay Pictures He has of all the Plants!
    Dave
    -------------------------------------------
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

Disciple

Here are some pictures I took inside Warehouse R of cases of New never used bottles on Sunday! The pictures are not as good as could be because I used my old camera at the Plant as I was getting parts for Lighting setups and afraid to bump my camera doing it. The ones at home are with my new camera!

Pictures 1 through 3 pictures of stacked cases of Whiskey bottles in warehouse R ,

and pictures 4 Weather proof switches from the warehouse docks at home in lighting setups & 5 Is Explosion proof setups from inside the warehouses, pictures taken at home Explosion proof Light & pilot light setups.
    I have made them up to preserve them for history. Such a shame Continental would buy cases of Bottles yrs ahead of using them and here are many they could never sell sitting and cases falling down off piles after 30 yrs sitting in warehouse R!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-12-2009 at 17:20.

Disciple

Well its the weekend and I plan on another trip to Kinsey I am just like a Moth and a flame when it comes to Kinsey. And I finally took my new digital camera to work and gotsome shots of the finished Explosion proof Pilot light and switch sets I have on my desk I have these five on my desk and one at the back and one on the side table for a total of 7 here are a couple of shots one light one not lit and one lit with flash and the lights out.

The one security Guard tells me when he does his rounds he goess in my office turns them on and looks at them in darkness as at night says they are really neat. I told him that was how they looked going into the window less warehouses till you got the lights on! I have put more pictures of the Distillery in front of my desk on the wall to show things and I have a picture of the Electrical Headers as that is what my Friend who wired my strips called the setups in the warehouses.

He said they were amazingly well made by looking at the pictue and very well engineered and thought out. I gve him a picture like the one on my wall with some other goodies for doing these for me.

The two sets in the middle have throw switches side mounted and the others have all the different kinds of switches I remember so well from those days. There is method in my madness as I am preseveing another part of the History of the Plant and what made it such a safe place to work and people who stop in my office think they are wonderfull.

I have one last one I want to get aand that is a round Lever one I know where a nice working one is and I want to get it and a Pilot light box yet!

Then I will start looking for more pieces of History there to save for future people to see.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

This past Saturday I went with my Buddy to some yard sales and I found a 35 mm Camera that sold new for about $400. for ten bucks. I bought it put new batteries in it and took it to Kinsey on Sunday here are some of the Pictures I took with 200 speed film and they turned out just great.

Here they are including a shot in the old Power control room in the old Kinsey Bottling House in very dark light with 200 film! As you can see the weeds and growth are taking over again for the Summer sadly but wanted to share these shots from my Canon EOS G Rebel 35mm Camera that cost me $10.00.
    Pic 1.thru 4 looking at the warehouses in different directions
    5. Front Water Tower
    6. Looking up at the back of O Building the Goverment Building warehouse
    7. Warehouse H the last one Jacob Kinsey ever built
    8. Front Silo's
    9. Stairs in #10 Rye Building
    10. Rails from #10 Rye Building going to Warehouse D & E
    11. Control room in Old Kinsey Bottle House
    12. #10 Rye Building
    13.Looking down the drive from out at the front gate
    14. The Front Docks of The 1966 Bottling House with weeds taking it over for the summer
    15. Another Shot of Warehouse H built in 1936 by Kinsey
    16. A shot of the two 1/2 million gal Tanks from the dock of J building roof cuts off part of the top of the picture
    17. Far Left side 1/2 Million gal tank
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-19-2009 at 10:17.

Disciple

I was talking to Ludy this morning He will be 91 in Sept this year. He was asking me to see if I can find one of the old Whiskey Thief's they used at the plant to take samples out of the Barrels.

I am not real hopeful as it would be made of Pure Copper and most likely People would take them for scrap metal but I am going there this weekend and look!

Ludy also told me for those that don't know the names of the Hoops on a barrel Top one was called The head Hoop going from top to bottom, Then the Quarter Hoop and next the Belly Hoop and the same way coming up from the Bottom head.

One of his jobs when he was a cooper was taking Samples for Proof and readness of the Whiskey of any given Barrel. The Only reason he left that job was working in the New Bottling house paid a good bit more and He liked setting up the Bottling Machines very much.

Last year I was Lucky enough to find a char scoop that we used to scoop the char out of the troughs after we were done dumping. I also have a Laboratory Test Beaker for Bourbon I found in the 1966 Bottling house in summer 2008. It will soon be to over grown to get in Kinsey Easy so I want to get there for some looking and Pictures yet.

I also want to get some last pictures of the Old Bottling House Kinsey Built before it falls down completely. And I hope to get in the Big Bottle House for some more tank and equipment Pictures and a trip in the old destroyed Lab to look around if anything is open.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-22-2009 at 08:35.