Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Your photos remind me of that current tv series Life After People:

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

How nature reclaims our structures etc. Nice pick up camera...no doubt many film cameras are collecting dust or dumped for sale. I have not used my old Minolta in years....too bad really, but I like the instant digital feedback.
    I think film will remain superior for "some" professional applications for at least the near future.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I again took a walk at Kinsey on Memorial day and got some more shots of the place here are some of them!
    Here are 5 pictures from O Building the Govermment building pictures taken with my Nikon Digital camera Government building and warehouse and the only one of the 14 Explosion proof warehouses to have windows!
    1. Dump trough with bungs and char from the very last dump done there in 1979.
    2. Whiskey filter O building
    3.Pipes running under Tank Platform
    4. Tank Platform, the tank here must have been sold off
    4.Platform and to the right on the photo top is the main stainless steel whiskey Line running down through and out the wall to the Bottling house below!

No matter how many times I go to Kinsey it just seems so sureal to go there and see it the way it is. My mind says how can this be and then I just think back to those great days of yesteryear! I got the big tank switch from the area and I am going to restore it like I did the others I got. I can still see Sam Lipkin the head Government man standing there checking and marking off our dumps.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-27-2009 at 04:51.

Disciple

I went to Kinsey after work today for one last walk till the weeds die down at the Plant it is to hard getting in there. Here are some more of my Pictures that I took on Memorial day! There will be more later!
    1.& 2. Warehouses looking down through the plant
    3. Shot from stair well Building Q
    4. & 5. Shots of the two Half million gal whiskey tanks middle of the plant from J building stair well.
    6.&7. two shots of the Electric Headers in warehouse J.

It gets harder for me as I see the place going down everytime I go there and seeing the terrible things the Young people do to Her! She ( Kinsey) was such a beautiful place back in the years I worked there. The two friends of mine who watch the place feel real bad too as they remember well how very beautiful Kinsey was back in the day.

I can see that Kinsey will just go on rotting away because of the person who bought it and does not give a dam about it. But for me it is an old friend dying and I can not do anything to help.

This is why I save everything I can of the place to keep it alive! And till my life is over I will try my best to write about what a great Place to work it was!
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Dave, Have you ever gotten any other barrels or bottles on your trips to Kinsey? A friend bought me back a barrel head from the Jack Daniels distillery. It is now a nice stand in my bourbon room. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Joe I am very Lucky to have 4 different Heads I got a couple of yrs ago, one Bourbon Head one that just says Whiskey on the head, one Corn Whiskey Head and my favorite because it is dated 1967 the second yr I worked there and turned 20 a Scotch mash head which the young people had broken into 4 pieces and tossed I found it in the weeds and a friend put it all back together and it now rests safely at my house.

I also have the Barrel dated 1971 Continental Distilling Rye mash that I got for myself and one for Fricky and he is refinishing his and mine and making them into tables lacquring the heads to preserve the writting on them and Lacqurig the whole barrel I will then use it as a table as he is going to Lacqure the head then put a piece of Pexiglass over the top.

Both barrels say Continental Distilling 1971 Rye mash in Black indelible Ink on the head and except for the corn Whiskey Head all my Heads are from the yrs I worked there! The Corn Whiskey one is dated 1980 the last yr they did any distilling. There are many unlabled Bottles sitting there rotting in Warehouses J & R and some in Warehouse S.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-27-2009 at 19:40.

Disciple

Last Night I posted some more pictures on #493 and now I am going to post more of my Memorial day pictures of Kinsey in weeds.
    1.Another Abandon Fork lift in Warehouse J
    2. & 3. stacks of never used Lolita Liquor Bottles falling over in Warehouse J
    4. A Shot up the barrel Elevator in Warehouse J
    5. Looking down the Barrel Elevator in J Building--These were designed to also be Explosion proof
    6. Warehouse Sign Explosion Proof Warehouse K one of only two good signs left
    7. Looking toward the back of the Plant from the two 1/2 million gal tanks.

I have about 10 pictures yet to post from this trip to Kinsey, and I must say I feel very sad about the state of the Plant. The guys have it all locked up again and the weeds are getting so High I most likely will not get in there for a while.
    It is a terrible feeling seeing Kinsey That was such a beautiful Plant sitting like this because a person it means nothing to owns it.
    Why he did not sell it to be an Industrial park when everything was still working is beyond me and chose to leave it shut it down and abandon it. In 1986 when he owned it everything still had power to it and He just closed it up and walked away.

Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-28-2009 at 04:20.

Disciple

Here are some more of my Memorial day Kinsey Pictures.
    1. 3rd floor of Warehouse Q fire tower warehouse because the building has never dryed out from fire started there Stalagtits grow from sealing.
    2. Stalagmites on floor of Q building
    3. & 4. Scale setup under tanks in back scale & weigh House across from warehouse #38
    5. Stairs behind the 2 tanks
    6. Platform above tanks
    7. Very Old Time Oil filled Explosion Proof Switch in Scale house, I have one of the two of these in my collection
    8. Sign on front of Q Building one of two still in tact left in the Plant.
    9. Hole Punched in the thrid floor wall in warehouse Q to put the fire out the water they used to put the fire out never dryed up and so the stalagtits grow from the cement

I will post some more pictures from the roof of this building and fire observation room on the Fire Observation thread soon.

Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-29-2009 at 03:50.

Disciple

Here are the last pictures I took on Memorial day on my trip through Kinsey. Here are 2 building shots and a shot of the 1/2 million gal tanks I took before leaving the weeds and thorns are taking over again so it will be hard to get in soon but I am hoping to go again this weekend before it gets to bad.

Shot one tanks from back at warehouse K looking down
    Shot 2 front side of J warehouse in Sun

Note on shot 3 the stainless piping from warehouse J to Warehouse O the goverment Building many if not most of these lines have been stolen by the many who have destroyed Kinsey.

I wish all of you could have seen these Warehouses back in 1966 they gleemed in the Sun those days and were kept spotless. Everytime I go I still can not believe it has had this done to it.

Mr Neuman would be very mad if he saw this as he loved Kinsey and We were told when i was on the yard gang that we had to keep things as perfect as we could!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-30-2009 at 05:21.

Disciple

Yesterday I went back to Kinsey in the afternoon with my Buddy Don and we went down to the old Kinsey Bottle house built in the early 1930's to save the last two 1930's Edison style Light bulbs that were in explosion proof covers so the Kids would not get in there and smash them. When we got the covers off they were still perfectly clean inside, even though the second floor has fallen and lots of water come in! Here are a couple of pictures I shot with my old digital camers as did not want to take my good one and maybe end up breaking it doing this, my old one fits in my pocket.

1. One of the two old 200 watt Edison type light bulbs we saved in its explosion proof cover
    2. Looking from where the 3 Liquor Lines started toward the front casing room
    3. Trap door where bottles and cases came down and where full cases were lifted up
    4. Place the second floor has fallen into the first floor and brought machinery down with it and bent the Explosion proof light sideways, I saved the bulb from this one also when this happen also as it was an Edison type one made by GE
    5. Old time Doors that go out to the road out front from the casing room
    6. Old Oil fill type Explosion proof light switch at double front doors
    7. Old windows with bars looking toward Warehouse E and the old 1930's dock behined the building which was not used anymore when I worked there could not get to it. Picture taken in front bottle casing room.

I really hate seeing this happening to the Old Bottle house and it is not because the building was shot but because when those people that got an option to buy the place in 2001 to build a Propane Electric plant they had no real plan to do that just to cut up metal and cash it in till the idea was rejected by the people who live there.

They were burning an old metal shed and caught a tree on fire which partly burned the Bottle house roof and burnt down the office so this past Nov the heavy snow on the roof was to much for the weaken roof and brought it down sadly to my discovery.

Once the plans were rejected for a power plant they just left leaving fork lifts and all kinds of suff having made plenty on scrap metal including tearing down DSP-Pa.-12. The guys who watch the place told me the guy that owns it does not even have a clue what this outfit did when they were saying they wanted to buy Kinsey and they told the townsihp they were fixing all the warehouses up as they stole all the wiring which means their end instead!

My friend the Electrician told me if the explosion proof Switches would have been left alone all you would to have done was put a new Electric scourse going in and they would have worked as they were sealed and still safe. Once they took the covers off and cut them up for scrap and pulled wires here and there it finished that for good!

Poor Kinsey it has had so many rotten things happen to it since Mr Si Neuman died which would not have if he had lived.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Sunday I went to Kinsey for about an hour to get something I needed for my last explosion proof Power strip and took some pictures in O building as people had ripped it open again!
    Here they are
    1.through 3. old Singer Bottling machines sit in O Building
    4. & 5. Barrel filling Equipment and And filler handle
    6. A shot of the Tank Platform from different Direction
    7. Pipe going out of Window to Bottling house below from Tank platform, note O building had windows the only one of the 14 with windows because of it being mulity purpose with the government offices and tankage and being a pumping area to the Big Bottle house plus barrel warehousing!
    8. Name written on Piller Nov 7 1961 Bill Rhoads
    9. Second Floor Electric Headers a bit different then the other warehouses as the Stairwell up is different due to government Offices they are on the right side of the door instead of the left like the rest. Also a bit defferent in boxes and setup.
    10. Showers in back of Lunch room many of the people who traveled far to work used them before they left to go home
    11. Entrance to Government offices Left and lunch room to the right bottom of stairwell
    12. O Building Stair Way
    13. Looking down from O toward R front

I also posted some pictures from my Memorial day trip to Kinsey on the post before this one #499 on Sunday morning.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory