Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 55 of 104 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

If you are just turning 62 that means you were working there in your early 20s....1972 your last year? About 25 when you left....it certainly made an impression....did you have to be 21 (legal age) to work in certain areas?

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Jono I got out of School in 1966 worked Construction till I got my break at Kinsey I was actualy 19 1/2 when I started mid 1966 and worked there till the end of 1971. It was strange but back then you did not have to be of drinking age to work there as you were not suposed to drink there anyway!

Those five years taught me alot about life and I made friends with alot of Guys old enough to be my Dad and some of them took me under their wing so to speak kept me out of trouble.

It was there I learned the Value of working every day, not missing just getting up and going and learning to enjoy it. Every day there was like a study of Life all types of People some ok some awesome, and every day had its fum and its pain in the you Know what!

Working at Kinsey was a great place to work and a Company I could be So Dam Proud to work for. I really enjoyed my time in the warehouses rolling barrels racking them and smelling all that Great Whiskey we made. It is one place I will always be glad I worked. I can't say that for my Truck driving job of 18 yrs it was Hell!

When I left Kinsey to work for my Neighbor I found myself out of work 2 yrs later and it took yrs to make good money again. The Pasture is not greener some where else! But He kept bugging me and I made a big mistake.

From my Job at Kinsey I had many Old friends as I have many friends now where I work at Cabot! But my longest job driving for a Plating Company after 18 yr I only had 2 real friends and one is now dead due to an accident on a new job after they downsized us both him having 27 yrs me 18.

Kinsey was not at all like that It was just great to work there and you had a feeling of Pride working for Publicker. Publicker even though such a Big Company and we being in a Union was still great we all just got along fine and did the best we could to make things work. When Mr Neuman died so Did Continental / Publicker and Kinsey.

I can in my mind see all the buildings and things we did as if they were yesterday, every day we rolled and dumped many barrels of Fine Whiskey and the Best part of it all was the strong Whiskey smell in the Warehouses.
    In todays world they would try to stop that as would say it could hurt you but I thought it was Great like being inside a bottle of Great Bourbon!

Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Guru

I take it you had a taste for whiskey even at those "tender" ages! I had to grow into it....not until around 30-35. The only bourbon I recall in my parents house was a bottle of WT 101.

My first real job was at a grocery store....first bagging then promoted to produce where I worked all through college. It was one of those union jobs that allowed me to make far more than my peers per hour and certainly had its fun and pain in the a## moments. Believe me when I say every pretty woman was watched behind those metal door peep holes. The call would go out and each department would await their viewing....especially the meat cutters....man you never saw so many trays of meat suddenly have to be in the case. The shenanigans that went on in the back rooms near closing....produce fighting with dairy etc. etc. Yep, I learned alot about people....and sometimes I think life was much simpler...but most of those guys are now out of those jobs...not by choice as most of the stores closed and were bought up by other chains.
    Last edited by Jono; 08-04-2009 at 14:40.

Disciple

Jono When I got out of School at 19 I went to two places to try to get a job the Old Adam Scheit's Brewery Norristown bought by Schmids of Phila and Kinsey I am glad I got hired at Kinsey. The main reason being I have always Loved Beer best and those days you could drink in the plant all day if you wanted. I think I may have been in trouble with that when I was young.

At Kinsey I learned to enjoy now and then Whiskey but not go out of control as I could have easily back at 19 yrs old at a brewery. Also Continental was a much nicer place to work and every way. Good People good Whiskeys and good pay.

I enjoy Whiskey alot more these days and also remember How good our products were. Even today I would put our Spirits up against anyones. We had some of the best Whiskeys made back then and today I still love Old Hickory and think of it as one of the best Whiskys ever made.

And Yes I loved Whiskey as soon as I tasted Rye ready to become Rittenhouse Rye back then at 19 yrs old. The Whiskeys I got from the Barrels were always a nice deep brown and filled with Flavor. And I grew to love the smell of whiskey vapors in the warehouses.

I am always comparing Whiskeys of today to Our Products and for me that is the bench mark!

I can still remember the first Whiskey I drank and where, it was in The Old Jacob G Kinsey out front, Warehouse E next to the Old Bottle house, late 1950's Rye in the barrel in the old wooden racks. That Old Building is still standing but in bad shape but I will never forget the rye bread taste it had and its pleasant sweetness and smoothness going down for a Kid who had never drank whiskey.

I loved those days and I will always remember those first tasted whiskeys from the Barrels pure Pleasure.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
    America's Most Magnificnet Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-07-2009 at 12:09.

Disciple

The nice thing about the Old Days and Kinsey / Continental Distilling was they paid so good and you did not have to do anything but go through school and when you got out want to work! I am still amazed when I look at my Pay stub from Dec 9 1969 and see that I made $101.20 a week clear. I have had engineers older men come in my office see the stub and say wow you made more then me back then!

When I went to the Warehouse from the yard gang we had about 8 full crews racking unracking and dumping and filling Barrels. We had 3 to 4 people per crew Plus the Lead man. We worked 8 hrs a day 5 days a week Monday Through Friday.

We enjoyed our Jobs and I found no reason to complain. We had a medicine card and full Insurance. We got all the major Holidays and also paid Vacation.

They for the most part Left you to just do your Job and all you had to do was do it right! We were the safest Distillery around back then and very much into Fire safety.

No one ever yelled at you and if you messed up you were always given a second chance. The Company unless you were stealing did not do alot to people caught drinking. I always was amazed how Kind they were to some people and it was a job you could feel safe knowing it would last.

Kinsey was always super Busy from July through Dec cranking out lots of Spirits for the Holidays and there would be 3 box cars and many trucks at the docks of the 1966 Bottling house during that period of time. Rail cars would be coming in our Company owned bridge across the river also cars full of coal for the Boilers even some tankers of Spirits!

The place looked beautiful during the fall trees turning colors deer Walking around and Rabits Lots of Wild Life and the lawns done perfectly. In the Yard Gang we would be getting everything cut for the last time for the winter and mulching trees. Emptying coal cars and doing lot of my favorite thing sweeping floors in Buildings.

I would when in the yard gang gladly offer to do the Old DSP-Pa 12 still. It always fascinated me looking at all the old Honeywell Timers with disc's put in back in 1951 never to be turned on again. All the Lights and sprinklers were as they had been in 1951 fully working.

Publicker always kept everything up about 6 yrs before they closed forever they had put a new roof on the Old kinsey house near the river. When I started there they were redoing a couple of the 14 Explosion proof Warehouse roofs.

it will always be the hardest thing for me to see the place so bad off. I now am looking forward to cold weather to take a walk back in time to Kinsey again!

Till the Day I die I will always believe that if Mr Neuman Had Lived Kinsey would still be operating!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    America's most Magnificent Bourbon

Guru

Dave, I don't know if anyone else here can recall a job they loved more than you. I am sure each day you kick yourself for leaving when you did, but, that is water under the bridge. My father probably was similar in that he could have made more $ working at the big John Deere or IH plants but he liked his machiniist job at a smaller specialty shop and never left it. He would tell at supper...when families ate together...the goings on with some of the characters he worked with. I don't think he ever made more than 16-17K during in those days....in the 1970s that was probably lower middle class.
    When I worked for Eagle grocery stores I remember making around $11 / hr in the early 1980s when other college students were making minimum wage of around $3.15 at most if I recall.

It sounds like you enjoy your current position.

Too bad BT did not aquire rights to Old Hickory (thinking of their new product line). Luxco never responed to my or your inquiry....if they have the recipe they are not doing anything with it.

Disciple

Yes my Friend it is a shame that Luxco has done nothing with one of the most famous names in Bourbon Old Hickory! But it is better for there to be none then a horrible product as much as I would love to see it come back!

For a time we made Bankers Club it was awsome whoever makes it now it is horrible cheap stuff.

I hope that some time while I am living Someone will buy the Old Hickory name and bring it back as America's Most Magnificent bourbon.

And I can say without any thought It was the Best Dam Bourbon out there back in the Old days.

I drank it for the most part because there was nothing as good as It. And the second reason for the sake of my Job.

I am very Lucky to work at Cabot now they are the most wonderful place I ever worked at! Even better then Kinsey. The sad part is the place I worked at the longest Pottstown Plating was the worst Job any Person could have the company and the Union Hated you and when they went out of bussiness about 2 months ago I had alot of drinks that night in Happyness for the way they treated people.

I worked for Pottstown for 18 yrs then one day they just got rid of my Job and walked me and a friend that had 28 yrs out for downsizing. He never found a full time job and got hurt working part time and died.

But I offten wonder how much better it would have been to work at Kinsey and never end up at Pottstown!

However working for Cabot I have such a great job as company Mailman and they just gave me a Bulova Crono Watch for 10 yrs srevice. Now that is an awsome way to treat people and when I was out 21 days almost dieing in 2007 my job was never in danger I had no worry about losing it.

But the best part is that My first real job and my Last were both the best Jobs I ever had and Kinsey was a place that anyone could get a chance and have a good life.
    Dave Z
    -=========================================-
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-16-2009 at 19:37.

Disciple

The Pa Distillery 10 Sign comes home to my House! On Monday Fricky brought me the Large Sign I saved from Kinsey He put many coats of lacqer on it to prevent any more of the Lettering to come off from the years it layed in a pile of rubble from what was Dsp-Pa. 12. About the year 2003 the people who claimed they were fixing the place up to buy it from the owner came in with a large machine and knocked the Number 12 down to steal all the metal they could get.

I found it around the year 2006 dug it out of a pile of rubble and because of its size could not carry it out so I turned it so rain would not lay on it. Then in fall 2008 The Guys who watch the Place brought it to their House across the street and Fricky took it with our 2 barrels to work on them.

It has a place in the center where it broke and buckled but 90% of the lettering has been saved by Lacqer. I took a picture of it last night on my steps and will post this week with some more Letter head I have been digging out of the stuff I found tosed around in the plant.

One piece I want to post is of a bill for 19,000 Barrel Staves sold to a copperage Company in Lebonon KY in I think it says 1977!

We had a very large Copperage Plant in Marcus Hook Pa and we sold alot to other Distiillers back in the day.

I hope in the next Month or so to take a walk around Kinsey again just waiting for cold weather because of the high weeds and Poison Ivy.

On Hot days like we have had all week here in Pa I think back to how nice it was in the Warehouses back then just right no matter how hot out! I look back at those days of my youth as days I learned all about life and its ups and downs.

In my wildest dreams I would never have thought that after 8 yrs having left Kinsey that they would stop Bottling Spirits there and close then reopen to do Antifreeze.

And then after 94 yrs like Mr Kinsey be gone forever from Phila and any making of Alcohol or Industrial products and that 94 yrs after Publicker was founded by Harry Publicker they would go off the Stock market even as Publicard to be gone forever after running a flash light company and a smart card company and other things.

I have much Paper work from the Plant brought up from Phila and from the Big Bottle house and old Kinsey Plant office and my goal is to post the interesting stuff soon.

I am becoming very worryed about my Friend who was a top officer at Publicker He has not called me that he has come to Pa and when I call where he lived in Ca I get the answering machine. I sure hope to hear he is alright and it is not looking good for me to meet him and talk about Publicker or Mr Si Neuman or look at any of his 1940's industrial pictures either. It is my Hope and prayer he is Ok!
    Davd Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    The Pa Distillery 10 Sign comes home to my House! On Monday Fricky brought me the Large Sign I saved from Kinsey He put many coats of lacqer on it to prevent any more of the Lettering to come off from the years it layed in a pile of rubble from what was Dsp-Pa. 12. About the year 2003 the people who claimed they were fixing the place up to buy it from the owner came in with a large machine and knocked the Number 12 down to steal all the metal they could get.

I found it around the year 2006 dug it out of a pile of rubble and because of its size could not carry it out so I turned it so rain would not lay on it. Then in fall 2008 The Guys who watch the Place brought it to their House across the street and Fricky took it with our 2 barrels to work on them.

It has a place in the center where it broke and buckled but 90% of the lettering has been saved by Lacqer. I took a picture of it last night on my steps and will post this week with some more Letter head I have been digging out of the stuff I found tosed around in the plant.

One piece I want to post is of a bill for 19,000 Barrel Staves sold to a copperage Company in Lebonon KY in I think it says 1977!

We had a very large Copperage Plant in Marcus Hook Pa and we sold alot to other Distiillers back in the day.

I hope in the next Month or so to take a walk around Kinsey again just waiting for cold weather because of the high weeds and Poison Ivy.

On Hot days like we have had all week here in Pa I think back to how nice it was in the Warehouses back then just right no matter how hot out! I look back at those days of my youth as days I learned all about life and its ups and downs.

In my wildest dreams I would never have thought that after 8 yrs having left Kinsey that they would stop Bottling Spirits there and close then reopen to do Antifreeze.

And then after 94 yrs like Mr Kinsey be gone forever from Phila and any making of Alcohol or Industrial products and that 94 yrs after Publicker was founded by Harry Publicker they would go off the Stock market even as Publicard to be gone forever after running a flash light company and a smart card company and other things.

I have much Paper work from the Plant brought up from Phila and from the Big Bottle house and old Kinsey Plant office and my goal is to post the interesting stuff soon.

I am becoming very worryed about my Friend who was a top officer at Publicker He has not called me that he has come to Pa and when I call where he lived in Ca I get the answering machine. I sure hope to hear he is alright and it is not looking good for me to meet him and talk about Publicker or Mr Si Neuman or look at any of his 1940's industrial pictures either. It is my Hope and prayer he is Ok!
    Davd Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    Today at lunch time I talked to Al Landis Jacob G Kinsey's great Nehew and I asked him what He thought happened that Mr Kinsey went out of Bussiness, besides the fact He reopened at age 75 in 1933.

He said the main reason was Mr Kinsey Did not like making Blends and prefered making just Great straight Rye Whiskeys and He could not compete in price.
    He Also Told Me Mr Kinsey told them a shot 1 OZ of Good Rye is the Best thing for your Health its full of good stuff and Vitamins.
    He also said Mr Kinsey always kept a bottle of Rye in his desk and would have a shot every day!
    Finally Al told me that every day from fall 1933 till fall 1939 they would get a load of new barrels from NY a man would drive 4 to 5 hrs every day to bring them then spend 4 to 4 hrs driving back. He could not remember the name of the company or the man. Note Al Landis will be 91 yrs old in Nov
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-19-2009 at 12:24.

Guru

Dave, did you ever have the "Kinsey Gold"? (not sure if I asked you before).

http://www.ellenjaye.com/kin_discovergoldadvert.jpg
    Last edited by Jono; 08-19-2009 at 16:44.