Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 57 of 101 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Well Here are the Pictures of My explosion Proof Switches and Pilot lights wired like lamps by my friend at work for my office! Since last year when I had to take my Beer can collection home I have been working toward this change in my office. There are 11 sets altogether counting 3 sets at the back. 5 sets on my desk

The last picture is of my old Model cars built when I was young. I found them intack at home and brought them to work to put in front of the Barrel Stave that Fricky did for me for my yrs of Service at Kinsey.

The Barrel stave is in the back ground surounded by my models and pictures of my Favorite English Actress. Also the clock on the right is from my 1952 Chevy Hardtop a friend at work made the holder it is a windup clock and keeps great time!

Note the Big Switch box with the big lever I worked my butt to get that one off the wall in O building and carry it out 1 1/2 miles. Many a weekend morning was spent taking these off walls to save them for History.

All the People in the office really like the Explosion proof lights and the Electrician that did them says he thinks they are most likely a one of a kind thing dreamed up by me. I tell people when they are lit I am in.

In trying to save the History of the Company I have tried my hardest to save everything I can related to daily work at Kinsey and these Explosion proof switches and lights were something I never forgot going in the Old warehouses to rack or take out Barrels you were greeted by them and the Blue Vapors of Aging Whiskey! I will always remember the awesome smell of Whiskey those days as a 19 yr old Kid working there!

Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Great pictures Dave! I love Josephine Tewson too!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yes Josh they are a few of many of the Pics of Josephine Tewson I have in my office she is a very lovely Person! I am very Lucky to work in a place where they let you have things like my Lights. And every morning I turn all the 11 sets of lights on and then turn on one of my 3 working Tube radio's in my office as always people call my office a musium. I have pictures of Kinsey in front of my desk and I also have around 200 WWII Airplane pictures on the walls and Vintage trucks.

This morning I learned my Old Friend from the Distillery Shorty Tyson who died many years ago's Wife died about a week ago All the Old timers that had alot to do with Kinsey and Continental are dieing off so it is even more important that I get as many pictures and memories up as I can.

Those Lights were the first thing we saw every day we went in the warehouses and they were very important in showing that we Had power when the Light came on or if it was glowing when we went in. With all the explosive fumes you would not dare test for Power and you Had to remove all power from the building to fix anything electric even just a light bulb.

One of the amazing things is when I removed the boxes switches and Pilot lights some of the oringinal 1940's bulbs still worked I have about 3 still glowing in some of my sets.

In the warehouses we had Many fire extingisers and they were checked every month by the company supplying them. Most days when we were dumping we would go to 2 or 3 different warehouses to get the barrels wanted for that days dumping. There as I have said before were always about 8 gangs going to warehouses dumping or racking barrels. Sometimes on 3 different floors we would get barrels out of the racks send them down on the Elevator to the first floor to be dumped if there was a trough there or to the dock to be taken by one of the 1941 ford flat trucks to another warehouse with a trough to be dumped by another gang.

Days went by quickly and it was a very cool place working in the Old Explosion proof warehouses.

We had someone dumping every day there,and the Lead man would have a list of that days serial numbers of barrels to dump. We all had coveralls and gloves and company Flashlights to see back in the rack for finding the right lot of barrels by their serial number.

The company had lists with every single barrel of the 14 million in the plant and which warehouse and floor and rack they were in. The timing of the barrel was most important when you were dumping and that is why our Lead Man Jack got so mad when the guy from the army kept moving the barrels side to side to keep them in perfect line but totally out of time. I never saw Jack get mad once except that day when He told him this is not the Army Line i'm up Louie He called him and you better Never have the barrels out of time like this again!

For the most part we just went in worked talked and went home happy after a days Honest work. Those days were far better then today we all had a common interest in just enjoying our work and getting it done the best we could. And even though we were union for the most part you never would have known it as we all got along and just were thankful for our Jobs.

As I have said before one of our favorite things to do at Breaks was roll dice. We had many a game of it.

Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-30-2009 at 09:29.

Disciple

I am still hoping to hear from someone who knows anything about Bourbon Cooperage company of Lebanon KY I posted a picture of paperwork from US ( Publicker ) selling them 19,000 barrel staves #555 page. Are they still in bussiness? What disitlling industries are near Lebanon KY?

I know we did lots of Bussiness with Distillerys in Ky but it would be nice to know if this company is still operating under a different name maybe!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    I am still hoping to hear from someone who knows anything about Bourbon Cooperage company of Lebanon KY I posted a picture of paperwork from US ( Publicker ) selling them 19,000 barrel staves #555 page. Are they still in bussiness? What disitlling industries are near Lebanon KY?

I know we did lots of Bussiness with Distillerys in Ky but it would be nice to know if this company is still operating under a different name maybe!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon
    There's a cooperage in Lebanon Kentucky. It's been there a long time and produces barrels for many of the distilleries. Cooperages put their mark on the rivets so folks in the business know where the barrel was made. If it has a M or a K on the rivet, it's made by ISC (Independent Stave Company) aka Kentucky Cooperage.

The guy (left) in the picture (from ISC webpage) is a judge for the barrel rolling competition held during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

http://www.independentstavecompany.com/manufacturing

The link :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    There's a cooperage in Lebanon Kentucky. It's been there a long time and produces barrels for many of the distilleries. Cooperages put their mark on the rivets so folks in the business know where the barrel was made. If it has a M or a K on the rivet, it's made by ISC (Independent Stave Company) aka Kentucky Cooperage.

The guy (left) in the picture (from ISC webpage) is a judge for the barrel rolling competition held during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

http://www.independentstavecompany.com/manufacturing

The link :
    Thanks Bettye Jo that must be the company we sold Staves to in 1977. We always did bussiness with many of the Ky Distillers and Last yr I spoke to Mr Charles Medley about the time He came and bought Whiskey from Continental when they left that part of the bussiness in 1979. He bought Bulk Whiskey Bottled Old Hickory and labels which he stamped over Linfield / Lemont with His town and KY.

Much of It was bottled when he bought that lot and He told me He later sold that Famous brand a couple of yrs later and it has disapeared sadly but I would not want it to come back unless it came back like it was a Premium Whiskey like the 10 yr 86 proof we made. I am drinking most likely the last bottle of that I will ever find. --------Thanks ever so much for the information Bettye Jo ----
    AND YOU BE WELL
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-01-2009 at 04:04.

Disciple

Well early tonight I met Fricky as He ordered and picked up the glass top for my Continental Distilling Whiskey Barrel and it looks amazing! It is 1/4 inch thick Glass and I took some Pictures of it being used?

Here are a couple of shots of it with My bottle of Old Hickory 86 proof 10 yr that Ludy gave me about 2/3 left and 1/2 a 4/5 Pint of Kinsey Silver that Ludy gave me sitting on an original 1930's Kinsey Coaster. Also with two Old empty Rittenhouse Rye bottles and a shot of the top just showing the glass, the Lettering jumps out at you. I took these with out any flash. This Barrel means more to me then words can say and now I can safely sit a Bourbon or a Beer on a coaster on it and never hurt the Laqer sealed Lettering. The Best part is this Barrel was filled when I worked there in 1971 and I may have Racked it or rolled it!

As I post this I am toasting the Barrel and all Fricky's help and work in finishing it and getting me a glass cover where He got his with a shot of Old Hickory 80 proof which I am almost out of. It was a joy paying him for the glass it is just awesome.

Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-01-2009 at 16:35.

Guru

Absolutely beautiful restoration Fricky! Dave, those bottle look fantastic...is the Kinsey Silver a low proof whiskey? It appears to be young by the color.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments. I was very pleased with how they turned out. It took a lot of time not to mention a considerable amount of sandpaper. Thanks to Dave Ziegler for getting the barrels.

Disciple

Jono If I remember correctly don't have the Bottle here Kinsey Silver is a blend of 8 yr old Straight Whiskeys 35 % and 65% the rest Ngs! It is one of the best Blended Whiskeys I have ever Drank.
    I had never drank the Kinsey Blended Label till Ludy was Kind enough to give me this 4/5 Pint he had since 1965!

When I was Young If I wanted Blended I drank Philadelphia Blended I still have some left from what Bourbon Joe Gave me 2 yrs ago. It is darker in color and very good but I like the Kinsey Blend better almost tastes like it is high quality straight Whiskey

Makes me wish I could get an Old Bottle of Kinsey Gold as that told me by Ludy was supposed to be Really Good way better yet then the Silver, I think more straight Whiskey in it! I don't think they made The Gold after the 1940's early 1950's were over and they closed DSP-Pa-12 in 1951!

When they Continental Distilling were in bussiness I bought only there stuff long after I left there as I considered all their Whiskey's to be some of the very Best made. And Continental Made just about any spirit you could want at all price ranges and all good quality.

Dave Z
    =======================================
    Join The Swing To Kinsey

Disciple

Well last night I won a very Old Continental Distilling bottle which is very rare and was one of Their first Brands to come out in early 1934. Patrician Bourbon 93 proof 3 months old was one of the very first.

Patrician Bourbon along with Sweepstakes Bourbon and Blended whiskey were just two of many brand names picked by Mr Si Neuman and His Father inlaw Harry Publicker in 1933 when Prohibition ended. They sat down and decided what names to give brands and what brands that were around to buy the rights to like Old Hickory! They started Continental that year as the Drinking Alcohol division of Publicker Industries and so a giant in the Spirits industry began.

Other early brands Keystone State Rye Whiskey, Cobbs creek, Philadelphia Blended, Rittenhouse Rye, and Old Schcuylkill Choice Rye.

Many Brands names coming from the City of Philadelphia famous places. Mr Neuman's Vision was amazing and He built Publicker Industries into a 5,000 employee fortune 500 company it was his death that brought the Company down. When He died all the vision and ideas left with him.
    Other Famous Brands include Linfield Straight Bourbon, Neshaminy Rye, Penn Esquire Bourbon and Ollethorpe club these names coming from an old Company Brand list I have.
    On the Bottle the Continental Crest and coat of Arms was.

Purity - Quality - Skill
    I have an old Company Pack of matches where it is written on the Logo lines and I truely Believe that was Mr Neumans mission Statement all through the many years 1933 -- 1976 43 yrs that He ran Continental Distilling and Publicker Industries!

Pictures
    1. Front Label
    2. Back Label
    Dave Z
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-04-2009 at 06:34.