Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 58 of 102 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

On Monday I took a walk through Kinsey from my friends House across the street. I took a 35 MM Camera with me and I also helped them seal some of the Buildings up! As always young people are going there and just smashing things it is horrible. While I was there I picked up the last of the Old Inver House Red display setups. I am taking one to the Limerick Historic Society this afternoon!

I will Post a picture of one of them soon as I got a spare one for myself. These are highly rare and were used in the early to mid 1960's to introduce Inver House Red Scotch which at that time was bottled in Scotland and brought over in one of our 10 ocean Liners.

I have no doubt that all the ones the state stores had have been in the dump since the early 1960's these were in a case that had never been opened and I put them together! You would set all the Inver House Red Plaid Scotch bottles on them in the store.

It laways hurts to see the ruin in there and Someone had even pulled up one of the Old Metal roll doors on O building so I closed it and bolted it shut.

I wish that the young people would be interested in the History of the place not ruining it.

Looking at the weeds growing everywhere and broken windows I still in my mind can see my friends working in my memory and those exciting days so long gone.

The Old Metal roll door went down like it was brand new The guys that watch the place and I tried some of the old valves on the Water Distilling room and they still turn freely!

I just wish that someone would save the Old Warehouses but for that to Happen the guy owning it would have to sell it and I think he enjoys letting it rot as He has not even stopped there since last summer.

Kinsey is just waiting for someone with some brains to make the Warehouses into Condo's The old Front buildings are doomed but the warehouses could be called the Condo's at Kinsey Distillery and you could build some apartments and Houses and call them the Homes at Publicker way! You could name the warehouse condo's after things Like Dsp -pa 12 Condo and the Continental Condo. But no one with Money thinks of these things.

When The still was still standing You could have made the Old Buildings into a living History musium. I wish so many times that I could have been rich back then and got the place from him so He could not destroy it by Leaving it in 1986 to rot! He closed it that fall shut everything down and has left it rot all these yrs while paying $400,000 a yr in taxes on it.
    Dave Z
    ============================================
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Unfortunately with the real estate collapse no development is likely for a long time. An artist colony would flourish with the space needed for sculpture, casting, pottery, painting etc.

Disciple

Well Tomorrow is the Yearly Linfield Reunion and there are still a few people that worked at Kinsey that come. Ludy and Jack can't because of Health But my old Friend Al Landis, Jacob G Kinsey's great nephew will be there.
    Each year I try to take something to give out to remember Kinsey and this year I am taking some nice printer copies of 4 Old Kinsey Ads I made from the Original Ads I have and also some regular Paper Pictures of the Areial shot of Kinsey in 1940. I was able to print them on the copier from my work computer and they are nice! I did 40 of them and 44 pictures of Ads to give out.

The first years I went there it almost like a Kinsey reunion but time and death have taken there toll and there are only a few that worked there coming but lots of Old Timers that Had family that worked there and they are all very Much still proud that Kinsey was there back then and sad that it is gone.

My 35mm camera pictures turned out Ok when I walked there Sunday and I will post a couple after I scan them onto my computer. Helping the guys lock up the Warehouses I found an Old Matlack blue print for a tank truck Publicker was having made back in 1956. It was a Mack B-61 tractor Semi and tanker most likely the very one that ended up junked there in one of my pictures before they tore the still down there was a Pink color Mack B-61 sitting next to the bottling house.

I also got a couple Of Old Inver House Point of sale Liquor store setups from 1964 and gave one to the Historic Society in Limerick to go in the Linfield section with the other Kinsey stuff I have donanted.

The Building where I got the two barrels for Fricky and I now has its roof leaking so the rest of the barrels are going to be doomed soon as sitting in water.

The Old Philip Singer Bottle machines in O building look like they are standing guard over the piles of Bottle caps the Kids have dumped from boxes. And The weeds are climbing worse then ever this year because the Owner is to cheap to pay for the place to get mowed.
    Dave Z
    ==============================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

Today I went to the Linfield Reunion and met many People that Had worked at Kinsey! The One Lady Had worked over 20 years in the Bottling House and she brought her Photo album of Pictures taken in the big Bottling House back in the day. Wow she had all the News paper Pictures and write ups about the Plant through its many years and stories in the paper about it closing.

She had also worked in the Old Kinsey Bottle House and she called it the happpy House because they had many a drink when they were over there! She also told me I was Completely right they did make all the Liquors there in the Old Kinsey Bottling house and she Loved our Amarreto Lolita. She and some others told me if I ever find a bottle of Continental Black Berry Brandy I will really Love it I Have never had that one.

I asked if I could get some copies of the pictures with the Bottling Lines and she said some time I could she is also going to join Here to look at the stuff about Kinsey. She had a picture of one of the Lines filled with Philadelphia Blended going down it

She had some great Photo's in the Local News paper of the Plant with trucks and people there. She was in charge of quality in the putting on of Labels and Tax seals and she told me alot about it.

Also today Ludy Turned 91 years Old! I called Him tonight to wish him a happy birthday. Also some more good news I was able to get my Friend on the Phone who was a top person at Continental and He is ok and still plans to come out this year for a month or so in the fall from Ca. He said he wants to meet as many former people that worked there as He can in the time He is Here and He had lost my Phone Number but now has put it in his Book and will be calling me soon. He also told me he is in the Process of Writting a Book about what Happen to Continental Distilling after Mr Neuman died that brought it to its end.
    Dave Z
    ==================================================
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-12-2009 at 19:00.

Guru

Dave,

What exactly is the Linfield Reunion? Is it former Kinsey /Continental/Publicker workers who get together or is it a community gathering?
    Glad to hear your friend is working on a history.

Disciple

First Jono the Linfield reunion is a get together of anyone who ever lived in Linfield and because Kinsey / Continental Distilling was for many years the biggest empoyer in Limerick township there were many people who lived in Linfield that worked at one time or another for Kinsey through its History!

I go every year because I worked at Kinsey and know very many people and was asked if I wanted to go years ago. I live in Limerick Proper about 3 Miles from the plant.
    Today I had some really Beautiful weather to take a walk at Kinsey and went to my friends house across the street to walk in with my digital camera and also a 35 MM camera. I have posted many of my pictures I took today on the other two threads and Now I am going to post the rest of the 58 Pictures I took today here on the Memories thread! Here are 37 of the 58 shots. I was also able to get some shots at the very front of the Plant because of parking at my friends house including the only picture I have ever taken of the third house on the plant property out front at the far left side Bill Theodosois lived there awhlie as Plant manager and a couple of boss's from Phila lived there later during the week and went home on the weekends!
    Here are the Pictures
    1. The old foundation here was where the Guard house stood when I worked there.
    2. Spot the Guard House is now
    3. Controls inside the Guard House
    4. Old Drive way in river side of the Plant
    5. What was the Empoyee Parking lot when I worked at Kinsey
    6. Front Gate into Plant
    7. Old Grain Drying building
    8. 9. 10. Rooms in the Old Plant Maintaince Barn which was built by Jacob Kinsey note the Heater hanging from the cealing and the cardboard to keep the heat in on the cealing
    11. One of the Old Yard Gang Mowers sitting there
    12. Bricks and weeds where the Old Kinsey Office Building sat
    13. 14. Platforms in Old Kinsey Rye Barn Dsp-pa-10
    15. Staircase in Old Kinsey Rye Barn
    16. Looking from Kinsey Rye Barn to the Barn Maintaince building on Left and Dryer Building on the right
    17. Stair well in front to the roof looking down from the roof Warehouse N
    18. Explosion proof switches on dock Warehouse K
    19. One of the two 1/2 Million gal storage tanks
    20. Both 1/2 Million gal storage tanks looking from the dock of Warehouse J
    21. Front stairwell of warehouse
    22. K warehouse in the Sun
    23. O Building Government Building & Warehouse in the Sun
    24. C warehouse in the Sun
    25. Fire Escape Warehouse C
    26. looking down through at the Warehouses
    27. One of the Last Warehouse signs left
    28. Another Fire escape with Little porches to the stair well
    29. Front Water Tower
    30. At this door to the Maintaince area of the Bottle House is where Mr Neuman came in and talked to Ludy way back in the day!
    31. 1965/66 Bottle house on left warehouses L,C and O on right
    32. Grain drying Building leaving the plant & Silo
    33. Copalo on top of the grain prep building which was conected to the old DSP-Pa-12 back then. The Old Tunnel we took break in was down between them.
    34. This is the Only Picture I have ever gotten of the third Company House as it is out front far left side facing the front and I always used to come in the plant by the back fields till now.
    35. Old Publicker Packaging Service sign out front
    36. Front from road of the Old Warehouse E Fire safety room
    37. One of the two driveways into the plant at the front this one on the river side of the plant from the road

I had a great time walking around the Plant and remembering the Old days. I posted 58 Pictures total on the 3 threads and found another Old Light bulb also. The Old Kinsey Bottle House is in very bad condition and I do not think I will ever get more pictures of it lots of water on the first floor and the whole second floor fallen down.

I wish I could take everyone who looks here back to the Plant back in the old days. People were talking at the reunion about how clean and perfect it used to be just like a park no weeds and lots of trees and flowers and it made me proud to think I was a part of that yard gang for 2 years of my 5 years there!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-13-2009 at 14:17.

Guru

Those are some great pictures Dave. I especially like that one of the warehouse sign with the grapevine growing over the top.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Yes Josh the weeds and the Vines are taking Kinsey over. But back in the day Kinsey and the Kinsey brand where Highly thought of. I am now posting two Night pictures of A Bill board for Kinsey Blended Whiksey on Times Square NY two different designs during 1947 the year I was born.
    The Kinsey brand was a big seller in New York State and really a Big Seller in New York City.

I can say from having drank it myself That it was a delightful Blended Whiskey and very flavorfull Especially the 86 proof Blend. Today Most People have never heard of it. Publicker / Continental Distilling did allot of advertising on all their products And The Kinsey Brand and Old Hickory were two they advertised The Most.

Also Our Haller's County Fair Bourbon BIB and Philadelphia Blended were advertised allot. The Kinsey Blend like Old Hickory Bourbon was a blend that was only used in Kinsey Blended just as The Old Hickory Bourbon Recipy was not used in any other Bourbon it had its own mash bill wish I had That Mash bill.

All these years later I can still speak with pride in our Products as I always felt Ours were the best of The Best! Old Hickory is exciting in your Mouth and will always be my choice if I can find it. If I knew things would happen like they did I would have bought Cases and cases of Old hickory.

I had an interesting talk with a man at the Linfield reunion Last Saturday.

He said back in 1961 He bought a Quart bottle of Linfield Bourbon in just like today a closeout sale as Pa state store was not going to carry it anymore sound familar, any way he put it on his Fireplace mantle and one day he looked up and saw it was empty, he asked his wife and she said she tried it Loved its flavor and and ended up drinking all of it through a period and she said It was to Dam good to just sit there it was a wonderful Bourbon. I got a kick out of that but also for many years I have looked for an empty Linfield Straight Bourbon bottle for my collection and have yet to find one.

I think in todays world Our products would still be considered some of the very best the company had a policy to keep prices down so the common man could aford them. Yet no short cuts were taken! Theres one more of Our Products I hope to try someday and that is Kinsey Gold Blended I never had that one.
    Thanks to Ludy I had the Silver and was able to talk about it!
    Dave Z
    -==============================================
    Join The Swing To Kinsey Blended Whiskey
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-17-2009 at 09:24.

Disciple

Here are two more Kinsey Blended Whiskey Pictures to go with the two I posted on #578. Also An Old Publicker Antifreeze ad

1. A ad for a clothes drive for WWII 1945 with Kinsey Sign in the background in Times Square
    2. An Old Post Card Of Times Square with Kinsey on the Bill Board
    3. An Old Ad for Our biggest selling Antifreeze from the Late 1930's
    As I said on the thread before this when I posted two other Times Square Pictures Kinsey Blended was very highly known and drank in NY City!
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Here are two more Kinsey Blended Whiskey Pictures to go with the two I posted on #578. Also An Old Publicker Antifreeze ad

1. A ad for a clothes drive for WWII 1945 with Kinsey Sign in the background in Times Square
    2. An Old Post Card Of Times Square with Kinsey on the Bill Board
    3. An Old Ad for Our biggest selling Antifreeze from the Late 1930's
    As I said on the thread before this when I posted two other Times Square Pictures Kinsey Blended was very highly known and drank in NY City!
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------
    Uncle Everett distilled at Kinsey for awhile....

I was going through some of his stuff today and noticed this ad. published in 1936...
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky