Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 76 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here are the last of my Pictures.
    1. Exposion Proof Light in Elevater
    2. Date written on Rack 10/16/52
    3. Another shot of the Space to get to the barrels inbetween the racks.
    4. First Level section C sections 5&6 I got my Wooden barrel Shock here.
    5.Writing on the wall my old friend Shorty Keller who was a Leed men
    6. More wall writing on a wall my Old Friend Walt Harrington. It was walt that ran the Kinsey Benifit Club selling chance tickets which had some winners and the rest went into a fund for People out sick.
    I hope to go back to Warehouse H one last time soon. It was a sad but good thing as I was able to post pictures from my two trips in.
    Dave Z -- It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Dave,

Just picked up a full mini of Dixie Belle Gin. If you want it, it's yours.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

I would love to have it for my collection. I was going to call you to see it you want to get down here this weekend and take another walk so I can show you where the Steer Pens were and the Old House by the river if we can get to it. I wish I could take everyone on here for a walk around Kinsey.

On a day like today if you walk in any of the Old Warehouses the temp drops down about 20 degrees. It was Hot on Sat when I went into Warehouse H but it was nice and cool in there.

I can still remember going up to Workmens Supply an old work clothes store with a paper from the company to get shoes at a reduced rate. The company provided us with Heavy duty green coveralls and WWII Sub Zero Coats. We had heavy duty leather gloves given us so we really were well equiped. Those were some great days for fine Whiskeys and I wish they were still pulling barrels from Warehouse H. Some of the Last of the Kinsey Made Whiskey when I worked there was in H, close to 20,000 Barrels getting ready to be used!

When I worked on a dumping gang I tried not to be the one who had the job of making sure every barrel was timed to come up on the trough with its bung pointing down in the place it stopped. It was a real skill timing them and most of the Old Guys did it perfect every time.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Connoisseur

Dave,

We have Saturday free at this point and it looks like the weather could be decent. Sunday looks to be quite hot and humid. If that works, let me know a time and a place and I'll be there! I'll bring some other whiskies along if you want me to too.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Well Last night I got a really great surprise as Sandie who worked at Kinsey for 25+ years sent me on disc pictures in the Plant before it shut down forever. She also explained each shot as much as she could after all these years! Another exciting thing for me there is a Picture of The Fire Chief Cal Roberts taking a 340 gal whiskey barrel apart.
    1. Sandie breaking Barrels from the racks winter 1980.
    2. Barrels in the Racks
    3. Fire Chief Cal Roberts Knocking the Hoops off a 340 gal whiskey barrel.
    4. Sandie and My Old Boss Jack Razor, note they are wearing the Old Green coveralls they gave us to work in.
    5. Barrels coming down the Elevator in one of the explosion proof Warehouses.

I have quite a few more picture including the bottling house in operation back in those days! Many Thanks to Sandie for spending the money and getting these old photo's put on a disc and sending me them for History.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-15-2011 at 10:04.

Connoisseur

Thanks for doing such a great job on this Dave. Any of those 340's down there left? I would love to have one for a yeast fermenter.

Guru

Those photos bring a sense of life to the place. Very nice collection of snaps.

Connoisseur

Just got back from Kinsey. A small group of us met up with Dave again and went through more of the distillery. It's amazing to see how large the operation really was. You can't fully gain an appreciation of the story Dave is telling until you've seen it in real life. It's incredible!

Connoisseur

As a side note Dave, I bought a bottle of Haller's Reserve Blended Whiskey and a bottle of Inver House at the State Store this evening. I had 1 shot from each and they weren't to my liking. If you want them, you can have them for free the next time we meet!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    As a side note Dave, I bought a bottle of Haller's Reserve Blended Whiskey and a bottle of Inver House at the State Store this evening. I had 1 shot from each and they weren't to my liking. If you want them, you can have them for free the next time we meet!
    I am curious how those old bottles would have turned up in a PA State Store?

Do they have old stock in warehouses that they try to move once in a while?
    Were there more than one bottle of each?

http://www.abc.state.va.us/Pricelist...D_WHISKEY.html
    024078 Haller's Reserve 1.75L 86 $14.95

008344 Inver House 375ml 80 $6.90
    008346 Inver House 750ml 80 $9.90
    008347 Inver House 1L 80 $10.95
    008348 Inver House 1.75L 80 $20.95

I see them listed on this ABC store list....when were they last made?
    Evidently they never went away or are being made by others ...were the labels purchased?

http://www.inverhouse.com/
    http://www.inverhouse.com/portfolio-whisky.php

It may be that the current product bears no resemblance to the old (Haller's Country Fair was the full name...right?)
    Last edited by Jono; 07-16-2011 at 19:23.