Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 78 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

We'll have to wait and see if Dave can solve the mystery for us!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Met up with Dave today and got a complete barrel from Continental. A huge thanks to Dave and the guys at the landscaping business in town!

Here is the barrel before any work is done to it. I hope to fully refurbish the barrel so it is fully preserved for the future!
    That's a great-looking barrel. I am jealous!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Thanks! I'm going to take good care of it. I started cleaning some of the greenish moss off of it. Since the weather is getting cooler quick, I may have to wait until spring to sand and repaint the rings and lacquer the barrel. It still needs to dry out a bit too. It hasn't stopped raining for more than a few days at a time so it's still quite wet where it was laying on its side.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Ethan it was my pleasure to get you that Barrel and today it brings back memories of one of the Jobs I did in the time I worked in the warehouses.
    I have posted on one of my threads a picture I think somewhere of my filling hose and handle, which was like a very large gas pump handle and I would stick it in the bung hole and pull on it the way you fill a gas tank. It was a tireing job when you did 100 barrels. Alot of this was done at O building in the back closed in area always with Government Men there to keep watch. And that is where I got my handle and hose from.

Unlike a gas pump you had to keep close watch filling the barrel as no auto cut off to prevent spilling. Once it was filled a bung was pounded in and gang members would roll it away to be racked.

Once it got to the warehouse it was to go it would be marked on a chart which section and rack it was to be put in with its serial number. And before it was racked after filling it had its distilling and fill dates and a serial number stenciled on the head.

Once racked the records would be kept for future proof checking and moving around and the date it would be aged to what was needed. If It was Old Hickory it would be aging for 6 and 10 years.

And I will always remember looking at the old 1950's Kinsey and Phila distilled and barreled whiskey in warehouse D out front by the river which would one day be the Aniversary Old Hickory 20 year old Bourbon Whiskey.
    Boy would I have loved drinking some of that. I have an empty bottle and box given me by my friend who was the top guy in Marketing but never had the chance to drink some.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Connoisseur

Dave,

Do you perchance remember where they got the barrel stamps? I'm going to try and re-create the Michter's, Pennco, and Continental barrel stamps but it's going to be challenging getting the right stenciling and curvature of the lettering. If I can find a barrel stamp maker, I'm golden!

Disciple

Walking through the Plant is painful but not going and posting for history would be unforgiveable to me. Here are some more early Oct pictures in the Plant.
    Pictures are from second floor and roof of Warehouse K.

1. Closeup of switches
    2. Stenciling year 1951
    3. Up on the roof looking back at warehouse Q the Fir observation room.
    4. Barrels in second floor of K rotting in water leaking from the roof to the Point there is no lettering.
    5. Picture of all of the switch headers.
    I plan on a walk there this weekend rain or shine in is sad but I have to document every surviving thing I can.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Manificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-27-2011 at 11:47.

Disciple

No story is complete without writing about my time working in the Warehouses. I spent half of the time I worked at Kinsey in the yard gang and half in the Warehouses. The very first job I did was rolling full wiskey barrels out of the racks to be dumped. I always loved the thick Blue alcohol vapors in the warehouses when they were closed a long time. The ceilings were 22 feet high on each floor and the vapors came down about 3 feet from the ceiling. The old wood and brick warehouses were interresting and the spaces between the racks were not for those that were big! I hated climbing the wood ladders in Warehouse D & E but that was how you got to the gangway between the sets of racks.

I will always remember seeing some barrels of Whiskey from the 1950's in warehouse E some distilled at Kinsey DSP-Pa-12 and some in phila at DSP-PA-1. I did everything from filling barrels to stacking the giant 360 gal ones to racking the regular 48 gal ones. Roll barrels to load out of warehouses and stood on the lift taking barrels up and the elevator in the old buildings running barrels down.

The real hard job was timing all the barrels to fall right on the dump trough I always declined that job if possible as mess one up and all of them would be off time.
    Well this weekend I am returning to Kinsey to Give Ethan a deluxe tour in buildings I always love going there.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-04-2011 at 12:58.

Connoisseur

It was another great day at Continental. Dave was able to obtain access to all of the buildings for us so we were able to aid him in his hunt for artifacts. What we found today was quite amazing. Not only did we find a very nice barrel stave with a bung hole in it to refinish as a decoration, but we found lots of great paperwork, more electrical switches for Dave, some barrel parts for me, and several other small items. It's great being able to actually go somewhere and save true pieces of history. We also met up with 2 other guys that were there taking pictures. It's great to see people interested in the place in a good way and not there to vandalize it. In the back of one of the warehouses, I found something I didn't think I would ever find- a solid link between Continental and Michter's! It was a complete out-of-the-blue discovery- some paperwork that belonged to Theodore Veru, then an employee of Continental. Mr. Veru in 1980, bought Michter's Distillery from Michter's founder Lou Forman. There was rumor that many of the Continental guys were involved with Michter's too, but this just solidifies those claim in ink.

Connoisseur

well, what does the paper say? I am interested.

Connoisseur

The papers all had to do with advertising and importation of spirits. Nothing with Michter's, but it's proof that Veru was in fact an employee of Continental before buying Michter's.