Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 86 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Thanks for the photos, Dave. I always love seeing this stuff. Hope all is well with you and that you're enjoying a few cold Ballantines these days.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

That is a great item Dave...hopefully it won't be too bad either!

Dust that bottle until it is gleaming!

"14 summers old"...interesting way of portraying the age statement.

I have to think the "Government Man" job was pretty cushy. Were they that busy every day? I know they had to perform some duties but I wonder if it was a pretty boring job. Did it turn over much? Was there any fraternization or did they keep to themselves?

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Jono every time any warehouse was opened every day there had to be a goverment man to cut the seal and be there! At Kinsey the ones there stayed there unless they were moved somewhere else by government order. And yes we were friends with them. Glen Smith the head one was a great man and he later ran a small eatery about 3 miles from the plant on rt 724!

We all got along very good and for the most part everyone got along with them. The big problem was the people at the washington level and some of the weird rules. They gave the company way more trouble then was fair!
    ================================================== ======
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Mgnificent bourbon
    ================================================== ========
    Dave Z

Disciple

Just got two new pictures of the Philadelphia Plant and going to post them thanks to my friend Butch who worked there for 10 years.

1. This is a Picture of number one boiler house at Bigler street plant in Phila in 1951 before the Walt Whitman bridge was built
    2. Looking at the Walt Whitman bridge from the top of the AA Building at phila plant. this is the building the famous Old Hickory Neon was on.

I can still remember the first time I went on Vacation going over the Walt and feeling so proud I worked for Publicker!
    ================================================== ==
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Tonight I dug up another picture I have of the Phila plant at Bigler street and the Famous Old Hickory sign. This unlike my other picture is out of the frame so I could shoot it without glass glare.

1. The Bigler street plant with the AA Building and the tower the Old Hickory Neon was on.
    2. I Posted this picture of my Lamp switch insides for Rod to see its wiring.
    3. This is a picture from the front of my Original company Brosure. The warehouse is one of the ones at Kinsey after they were filled. I asked Ludy who the man was and he said Bud Seward.

The switshes used on Rods and my Lamp are explosion proof crouse / Hinds from the late 1930's.

Everyday I try to find something new for the history of the Company. My Friend Butch worked at Publicker in Phila for 10 years he loved working for Publicker also and offten says the training he got there opened the door to many good jobs later.

I am lucky that my first real job was great and my last job now is great. I started good and I am ending good!
    ================================================== ==
    America's Most MagnificentBourbon
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Well I just got some cool parts put together to make a very cool Lamp. Had the old Pilot light and box and found a switch box and mounted a premade pipe for a light in between with a bell light holder. All I need now is a porcelon buld holder and a screw in light cage and find someone to wire this crazy home made from Kinsey parts light. Here are 3 pictures I just put it together and in turning the pipe wacked myself in the head with the Light bell got a heck of a lump on my head!
    1. thru 3. Pictures of my new light set up hopefully I can find someone to wire it for Me. The Pipe is from the old Scale House the pilot light from warehouse K and the switch from warehouse #38.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Well I promised Rod I would post pictures of my completed Kinsey Distillery Explosion Proof Lamp so here it is got the Base from Rod today!
    Pictures 1 thru 4 . my lamp as soon as I set it up. 5. With my bottles put back in place on its base. 6. Looking in the top of the lamp at the explosion proof bayanet screw in top.

Now I want to say with out Rods help I could have never got this done. He got me the top parts and found someone to make the base. Thanks to my Friend Herb for wiring it and I am just very thankful to have made and completed this awesome Lamp from Kinsey Distillery.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

Hey Dave,

The lamp looks great! Glad I could help in getting it done for you. The backdrop with all the bottles is mind boggling. There's so much stuff there.

The small green shade didn't fit my lamp. My last hope is that it may fit one of the small ones we saw in the stairwells. This cage screws onto whatever housing it was meant for. The one I have the cage screws to the housing with 3 screws. Oh well. One more thing to look for!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Well I promised Rod I would post pictures of my completed Kinsey Distillery Explosion Proof Lamp so here it is got the Base from Rod today!
    Pictures 1 thru 4 . my lamp as soon as I set it up. 5. With my bottles put back in place on its base. 6. Looking in the top of the lamp at the explosion proof bayanet screw in top.

Now I want to say with out Rods help I could have never got this done. He got me the top parts and found someone to make the base. Thanks to my Friend Herb for wiring it and I am just very thankful to have made and completed this awesome Lamp from Kinsey Distillery.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Well I got home and cleaned up the top of the close to 100 year old explosionn proof light from the old grain process building. So here is another shot of the shade and then the whole unit cleaned up.

1. The Shade
    2. the whole restored unit, I took it apart and cleaned the procelen bulb holder and reasembled it. I just really love saving these old pieces of Explosion proof stuff and making art Lights out of them. I think on top of my head my lamp is number 42 of created things form Kinsey. These things like my bottles will be donated to distilling museums when I am gone per my will.

So Publicker / Continental Distilling and Kinsey Distilling will live on after I am gone. I have to say here thanks to everyone who wired these things for me, Paul, Herb, Jim and Joe from work. Without them I could have never done this and without Rods help the lamp and future Lamps will be made!
    Dave Z
    =================================================

Trippah and Admin

Dave, I took a dusty bottle of Old Hickory 10yo to the gazebos in Bardstown and and it was quite a popular pour. Out of the entire 750, there's about a half of a drink left. Everyone had good things to say about it and Bourbon Joe about dove over the table to get a pour.

It was the trapezoidal bottle with the tall gold colored eagle on the cap. I think I saw an empty of the same bottle in your collection photos.

Good stuff for sure. I'm glad I could get my hands on a piece of history like that. Thanks for giving so much background on the distillery.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?