Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 88 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Ben, If there was Old Hickory there I missed it, but I started following this thread shortly after that, so That is a good possibility. We need to go back and double check that.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

That is a great find and that is what we did on blended, 35% straight and 65% neutrols. Nowadays it is more like 25% or less straights. Thats a great deal for it. I am very glad for you to get such a piece of History for that price. Here in Pa you can't find anything old. If you saw Old Hickory go back and get it. Does not matter if it is the 80 proof or the ten yr 86 they are both wonderful bourbon whiskey's. Have a shot of the Kinsey for me! Those strips tore very easy, I am thrilled that you can sample a taste of History from the old DSP-Pa. 12 bottle house in Linfield Pa. We never had a bad product, even the cheapest stuff was tasty.

We tried to make sure that the common man could always have a good whiskey! Mr Neuman always had the goal to make sure that everyone could get the Whiskey they wanted for a fair price. And if you are lucky enough to get some Old Hickory be Ready to taste a very wonderful old school Boubon Whiskey!
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-14-2012 at 18:36.

Disciple

Well I have started work on one last light to make a lamp from. It is the turn of the Century small green Crouse / Hinds Explosion Proof shade light from the Old 1892 grain process building the only one that was there yet!

Gotten for me by Rod when we did a swap. I am not sure how much pipe I will put on the bottom or what I will use for a base I will get Rods help on Ideas but the wire is going to come out The Fange on the bottom half of the Crouse / Hinds explosion proof switch, that way I can get it wired before it is finished and It will fit in my car trunk! Then I can just screw whatever I want on the bottom. Here are some just putting it together pictures.
    1. 4. Here are four shots of what I have so far. I discovered that the Glass lens I thought fit it does not it is to small and falls off so I may never have a sealed bulb but it sure will be neat when it is done. The goose neck Pipe is from Kinsey also.
    Dave Z
    ============================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-17-2012 at 16:27.

Connoisseur

Hey Dave, so there was an Old Hickory blend, but it was sold by Schenley after Kinsey closed. bgageus went by the place we saw it and got the info on the bottle.

Disciple

Thanks that is a very interesting twist. In 1980 the Old Hickory Label and Whiskey in stock was sold to Mr Charles Medley I talked to him about it a couple of years ago. But he sold the brand later and I guess they had it for awhile.

I would rather it never have its name used again then to see it as a blended Whiskey. If I lived down your way I might have bought it for my collection as a very odd thing, I have learned something I never knew thanks to the both of you and your research.

It is sad they tried to do that and sell it by use of its famous name as most likely a very cheap blend.

Thanks for getting that info it seems every day I find out new things.

If you ever get a chance to get some Real Old Hickory Bourbon go for it as to me it was the best of its time. I have a couple of shots left and I guess I will never have it again either. Many Thanks for the ijnfo again!
    Dave
    ================================================== ===
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Connoisseur

You're right, Dave, it was a Medley bottling. I was typing quickly and mistakenly wrote Schenley.

I've heard only good things about Old Hickory, and I would jump at the chance to get the real thing!

Disciple

I am thinking about a change to the new Explosion proof early 1900's lamp I am making from the old Kinsey grain process building. The first picture is what I was going to do and the next ones are it with a 1930's pilot light under the switch. It still fits in my trunk for wiring but still no idea of what to do about a base it will have to be smaller then the other lamps base I made to fit anywhere.
    Going to ask Rod what he thinks a little input is always a good thing.
    1. Picture of the lamp with just switch
    2. 3. Pictures of the lamp with the vintage pilot light.
    Every single part on this Lamp is from Kinsey except the chrome piece that screws in the T to run the light wires out. Even the T is from the plant from Warehouse #38 NOS part found in a box.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ======
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

My Electrian friend Paul at work finally had the time to wire my last big & small glass globes Explosion Proof switch set ups.
    Both switches are from the 1930's from Kinsey and here are pictures of them and my office with all the lights on.
    1.& 2. My 1930's lever explosion proof switch with a red globe and cage
    3.&4. My early 1930's one of a kind pull push Rod lever Crouse Hinds Explosion proof switch and Blue globe from O warehouse
    5 through 7. shots of my desk with all the lights on.
    8. my side table with its switchs.

Many thanks to my friend Paul the electricain for wiring these for an old stuburn guy who loves Kinsey Distillery. Kinsey lives at my work office and at my home for as long as I am around.

I am very thankful I could save all these things from the vandels who would have cashed them in for scrap when they are so rare and so very Historic.

Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-21-2012 at 19:05.

Connoisseur

Dave,

I went through more of my Michter's stuff and made some pretty big discoveries. It turns out that Pennco was a Schenley division and did not have any affiliation with Continental! This really confuses me since Continental was a major supplier of whiskey for Pennco and even a bottler for early Michter's products. The only thing I found was that Pennco's headquarters were at 20 South 15th Street Suite 811 in Philly. I have a letter verifying a set of blueprints that lists Pennco as the DBA for Schenley Distillers at DSP-PA-17, which is Michter's. This just keeps getting weirder!

I also came to find out they used a "3 chamber beer still" until about 1951 instead of a column still. This type of still, per Sam Komlenic, was a still that was unique to rye whiskey production and is no longer used today.

PS- I have Bird Dog for you!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Had a fun time today with Dave & Andy. Found a base to fit my smaller shade & globe. Now I have to figure out how to display it once wired. It's a good bit smaller that the big floor lamp I made earlier, so it's a lower profile.
    Here's a few pictures from today.

Dave & Andy next to an old fire cart

My new smaller lamp assembled.

Bottom view of the cage & globe

Both light units side by side for size comparison