Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 89 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Rod you should mount it on the last one of the Goose necks hanging down, it looks great. Getting my Base made for my Last Lamp next week, and getting the lamp to the Electrian friend tomorrow for wiring.
    On Sunday Rod got an old Ladder and did something for Me I could not do. He climbed through a old second floor door on the Grain process building to get shots of the Big grain box above while the building is still standing here are those shots for History Plus, First Pictures when we were in the old Kinsey Bottle House Rod noticed something I had missed the Beams that support the second floor are from Old Pottstown Bethlehem Steel
    1.Beam with Bethlehem on it in the red paint.
    2. Grain Box
    3. Looking in the Second floor of the Old Grain Process building from this building the grains moved to the fermenters in the Old DSP-Pa-12 by worm gears on the sealing of the Tunnel we had our Lockers in down on the bottom of the still.
    4. Stairs with floor gone to bad to get closer, they go to the Little 3rd floor Cupalo tower on the building.
    5. The Old Grain box the wood looks amazingly good like new in this shot of the whole grain Box
    6.& 7. Grains still laying on the floor from spring of 1951 when the still made its last Whiskey. I wish the floor would have been walkable so I could have some of those old Whiskey grains from so long ago. My Dad worked there then.
    8. Bethlehem on post in the Old Kinsey Bottle House

Thanks again to Rod for getting those Grain building shots. I now have Pictures just about everywhere in the Plant in standing Buildings to save for History.
    Dave Z
    ==================================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-30-2012 at 12:37.

Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    5. The Old Grain box the wood looks amazingly good like new in this shot of the whole grain Box
    Wow! That does look like it is new wood.
    How long has it been sitting and it still looks like that?...
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Wow! That does look like it is new wood.
    How long has it been sitting and it still looks like that?...
    Silverfish the Grain Box was last used in spring of 1951. However the building was Heated and sprinkled and taken care of By Publicker till 1982 when they sold the plant to this terrible person who owns it now. They then leased the 1966 Bottle house and a couple of Buildings and Tanks till Sept 1986 When Publicker gave up. The Old Grain Building has not been protected for 26 years and the roof is shot but this old wonderful grain holding Box still looks like new. The grains traveled from this box to the DSP-Pa-12 Distiller . I was excited to have Rod Climb the wall and get these Pictures and really excited to See The wood of the Box and the grains still in there from Spring 1951, When My Dad worked there!

I have the Last Mash bills from spring 1951 from Pa-DSP-pa-12, I found them years ago in a envelope that Vandels had tossed on the floor. I donated one set to the Limerick Historic society. There were complete sets of Grain used and mash bills dated for each day of Early spring 1951.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-31-2012 at 07:21.

Next trip I may just go for the last gooseneck. Can;t wait to see the base you are having made. Maybe I'll get one for this lamp?

No problem with the pictures. I'd still love to get up those stairs. I'll have to figure out a way though.
    Maybe we'll go back in a couple weeks. I know Andy wanted to get something in the last building we were in!

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Rod you should mount it on the last one of the Goose necks hanging down, it looks great. Getting my Base made for my Last Lamp next week, and getting the lamp to the Electrian friend tomorrow for wiring.
    On Sunday Rod got an old Ladder and did something for Me I could not do. He climbed through a old second floor door on the Grain process building to get shots of the Big grain box above while the building is still standing here are those shots for History Plus, First Pictures when we were in the old Kinsey Bottle House Rod noticed something I had missed the Beams that support the second floor are from Old Pottstown Bethlehem Steel
    1.Beam with Bethlehem on it in the red paint.
    2. Grain Box
    3. Looking in the Second floor of the Old Grain Process building from this building the grains moved to the fermenters in the Old DSP-Pa-12 by worm gears on the sealing of the Tunnel we had our Lockers in down on the bottom of the still.
    4. Stairs with floor gone to bad to get closer, they go to the Little 3rd floor Cupalo tower on the building.
    6.& 7. Grains still laying on the floor from spring of 1951 when the still made its last Whiskey. I wish the floor would have been walkable so I could have some of those old Whiskey grains from so long ago. My Dad worked there then.
    8. Bethlehem on post in the Old Kinsey Bottle House

Thanks again to Rod for getting those Grain building shots. I now have Pictures just about everywhere in the Plant in standing Buildings to save for History.
    Dave Z
    ==================================================

Disciple

Back in the Days of WWII there was no better supporter of Freedom then Publicker Industries. They made synthetic Rubber and Fuel for the War and Much more. They did such a great job during the War that when it ended the Government sold them the AA Building they had paid to build for a $1.00. During the Air Lift Publicker produced bags of Potato Flour to feed those starving at the wars end.

My Father Clarence Ziegler a tail Gunner on the B-29 Smokey Stover flying over the Hump from Chukulia India, got a Job At Publickers Kinsey Distillery after WWII ended.
    In Honor of My Dad I have a Jacket I had Made with his plane on its back and patches for his bomb group the 40th and 25th Sq,and 20th wing of the US Army Air Corps I wear it to The WWII Weekend in Reading every year with his dog tags.

This year something came to be I could have only dreamed of. Sunday Morning walking in to the Show the leader of the group that flys the Only Flying B-29 in the World The FIFI,

met me at the gate and said we have 2 people who did not show up for the 9:00 Am flight how would you like to fly at a reduced afordable price. I had my Credit card and I went for it. I had never flown in a plane ever, and here I was wearing my Pilot and Col uniform with the Jacket with the Plane my Dad flew on on the Back, wearing his dog tags and now they would fly in a B-29 for the first time Since Dad came home in 1946.

We flew for 45 minutes and I got to crawl through the Tunnel to the Tail Gun area and stand there and think about how Brave he was. It was an 11 hr run over the Hump if you made it back and He flew in the first four waves over. No one in a big Plane like the B-29 had ever gone over the Hump and His groups figured the best point to go to Higher Altitude going and coming back. After those 4 Missions They were put in other jobs he was then a Bomb Loader in India and then Tinian Island.
    Here are a couple of Pictures of Me in and near the plane.
    1. Me waiting to go on the Plane they told me to Salute My Dad in this Picture
    2. Up in the Air just before I crawled to the Tail gunner position.

They also recorded the information about my Dad and the first 4 Missions ever flown over the Hump in a B-29 and they Knew of the Smokey Stover turns out a very Famous Plane. Since today is D day back then, I wanted to share my great Fortune and The Fact that My Fathers Dog Tags once again flew in the Air and On a B-29. So todays thread is in Honor of The Greatest Generation and the Great Companies Like Publicker and Boeing and so many Others that preserved freedom!
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-06-2012 at 08:41.

Enthusiast

Dave, what a great story. Thanks for sharing.

My father was in Germany in WWII, and all you can say is war is hell.

On this anniversary of D-Day, June 6, one can't help but think of all the brave men who stormed the beaches, esp. the "first wave" guys, and how incredibly thankful we should all be for their sacrifices.

From today's perspective a much simpler world in the sense that as a country we were fairly united and at least knew who our enemy was.

Cheers to your father.

Bill
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Dave, that is a great story and experience. What was the space like for the tail gunner? The view?

How long did your dad work at Kinsey? Did he enjoy it as much as you did?

Disciple

Jono To answer your Question it is a very small area you have to jump up on a hanging canvas seat and sit holding the Gun when it was in there. To get there I had to crawl through the fusilodge and pull myself up into the spot. When he was back there he would have had to leave his chut and leather flyers jacket in the last compartment before the tail and he would have been sealed in with a closing round tunnel door because the B-29 was presurised to fly high and get over the hump. No where to go to the bathroom or drink anything 11 hours just sitting watching and hoping you would come back alive and if you had to go you just went on yourdself. He was in the very first four missions each testing for the best place to go up to a higher Alitude. 3 small windows one on each side and the one with the gun. A large person could not get in there. If I would not have lost 40 + pounds I would not have been able to get in there.

If anything happened he would have to be let out and dress quick enough to jump with his chut. Not good odds.
    1. The gun looking out the back window, you had one little side window on each side.
    2. Looking out the left side window
    3. The sealing doors for the compartments this one being in the middle of the Plane they got much smaller at the back.

Tail gunners did not have very good chances if the plane was hit.
    When I worked at Kinsey there were many WWII vets working there they hired many of them after the war. And down in Phila they hired lots of them at least one of the Band of Brothers worked in Phila for Publicker Wild Bill Guamere being one of them that worked at Publicker. A couple of years ago I spoke to Bill about working at Publicker when I met him at the air show in Reading.

During the war many a soldier got a bottle of Old Hickory or others of our products donated by Publicker. In my book about the company from 1947 they taked alot about being an American company and how american ideas keep the world going.
    My Dad left Publicker because he wanted to become a truck driver and he got a job at the old Jones motors family owned trucking company. He worked there the rest of his life. He worked at Kinsey around 3 years and met people picking up loads at Kinsey from Jones and got his job that way.

I will never forget my flight in the B-29 because I really saw what he was up against and what a brave man he was.
    Dave Z
    ==============================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickopry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

That is a great story, and just fantastic that you got to fly in a B-29 wearing your father's dog tags.

Guru

It appears the range of swing on the tail gun was quite restricted.
    You better have a bucket or coffee can with you for long trips..preferably with a lid! In a way, they shared a lot with submariners by being locked in a pressurized compartment with little hope of escape.

Unfortunately, the B-29 was not allowed to fly at the safer high altitudes and lower level bombing was ordered due to jet stream issues etc. so theoretically you would think they were safer than B-26, B-24s etc. but the lower altitude bombing runs led to losses.