Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 90 of 102 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Jono the barrel out the window has more movement then it looks to have inside there is sort of a wide sloting on the window. As far as room it was very tight in the tail.

My Dad as I said before and many other men from our area were after coming home from the war hired by Publicker, they had a policy to hire Vets first when they could. In 1947 Publicker went on the stock market and grew to number 434 on the Fotune 500. Those first years after the war they started building the explosion proof warehouses at Kinsey in 1946 and finished all of the 14 by fall 1947 around Sept when I was born.

In 1951 Explosion Proof all purpose warehouse U someday to be the worlds biggest Bottling house was built.

The Early 1950's were good years for Continental and the Kinsey plant and they continued to Distilling At DSP-PA-12 at Kinsey till Late Spring 1951.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Momets

Guru

This may be the same plane...what noise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyQIycR430\

I see that the gunner was separated from the actual guns - sitting above them - and fired with sighting.
    Last edited by Jono; 06-10-2012 at 15:45.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yes Jono that is the B-29 I flew in and yes you had to jump up on a canvas seat against the wall hold the gun handles and sit that way for 11 hours, with nothing to drink or nowhere to go to the bathroom you were sealed in because of the presurising of the plane. I'll bet my father was thrilled when he made it home from the war and got his job at Kinsey!
    I went over today to Kinsey and took two pictures of how the weeds and trees are slowly finishing Kinsey off.
    1. Can you believe this is a picture of the 1966 state of art Continental Distilling bottling house you can hardly see it for the trees and weeds so darn sad for me.
    2. Here is a shot down from O warehouse looking at warehouse N and P below where weeds are covering them over.

It is all sureal for me to see what this jerk that owns the place has left happen to it. You wonder if Jacob G Kinsey's gost is walking there in wonder at its ruin!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Dave,

Hey! It's me Don. You met me yesterday while I was walking around with my girlfriend, son, and two friends. I'm a local photographer/videographer, and I enjoy finding abandoned places and capturing photos of them. I like to take a photographic record of these places because someday they'll be knocked down.

It was really nice talking with you yesterday and thanks for giving me some of the history of the place! It allows me to tell a story along with my photos when I share them online.

If you're not busy someday, maybe I can meet you over there and you can give me a more in depth history.

Better yet, I'd like to do a video documentary on the distillery if you are interested. I see you have lots of photos and documents that could lend to a very in depth visual history.

If you are interested, let me know. I cannot believe how large the property is!

Disciple

Hey Don I sent you a message. Here is my latest project while I wait to get my early 1900's distillery floor lamp back from being wired. I am building a table lamp for my Kitchen from an explosion proof switch from warehouse M and its top switch lever from the Scotch chiller in the 1966 bottling house. A late 1930's pilot light from warehouse C and the explosion proof light ficture from the elevator in warehouses J & K housing from J cover from warehouse K.
    Here are four pictures of what I have put together.
    I will take it to work and see if my friend in Mauntaince will wire it for me.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ====
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurrid Moments

Dave,

Very cool light projects that you work on! I looked at almost all of the pictures you have posted on this single thread, very impressive!

Here are just a few of the pictures I took and posted on my website:

http://photo.pottstownpc.com/kinsey

I will post more soon, but I am going back to Kinsey on the 24th to get some more photos. I will be bringing a new photographer friend of mine from New Jersey with me. He's been anxious to see this enormous abandoned distillery.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by donviper View Post
    Here are just a few of the pictures I took and posted on my website:

http://photo.pottstownpc.com/kinsey

I will post more soon, but I am going back to Kinsey on the 24th to get some more photos. I will be bringing a new photographer friend of mine from New Jersey with me. He's been anxious to see this enormous abandoned distillery.
    Great pictures, Don! Please encourage our friend Dave to consider the documentary project. That's a brilliant idea and we'll have our very own movie star right here on SB. Do it, Dave!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Thanks for the Kind words UncleBunk, I will try to do just that if people really want me too! I love nothing more then talking about Publicker and Kinsey Distillery.Speaking of which here are a couple of shots of some awesome things I have saved from the plant and my two Old Hickory Clocks.
    1.the Large sign from warehouse P
    2. the two small signs from warehouse P. About 7 years ago I was walking in the plant and saw the large sign tossed in the weeds by vandels. There was snow on the ground so I hid it in the weeds and after the snow left I carried it 1 1/2 miles through the woods to my friends station wagon to save it. It was a hard job carrying it but I could not let the creeps ruin it. The small signs are lit by my newly created Distillery Light like the one Rod made.
    Later that month I got the two small signs from wareouse P giving me the whole set for history before the vandels could harm them. A few years later my friends who watch the plant got me the explosion proof phone to save for history from warehouse P.
    3. The clock like a barrel top on the bottom of the picture was given me by Bourbon Joe to this very day I thank Him so much, I rewired it, and it works great. The clock on the top of the Picture I bought many years ago on E bay it is like new, but I had it overhauled by a friend. It is the rarest of the Old Hickory Clocks and lights.

I am always looking to save things for History and I have a paper in my will signed and dated by 5 people where I work in the bank safety box stating that all Publicker/Continental and Kinsey stuff most be given to Historic societies and Distillery Museums. I am driven to save every thing I can for the History of this great company and what it was like to work for a real winner and a wonderful company when I went there at age 19 in 1966.

It is my hope that my writings will always be interesting and filled with History.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-13-2012 at 18:43.

Guru

Your collection certainly is fantastic. I'd sure like to see it in person some day. It's like having your very own museum right there in your home!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Dave, is it ok to go to the property to take pictures of the outside anytime? What happens if the police show up? What do I tell them?