Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Got a chance to walk through the old warehouse's with Dave today. What a mess it is now. Shame what happened, but guess you can't do anything about lighting strikes. Walked around & in & took a few pictures of the area. Also went into the bottling house. Been a little bit since we've been in there.

Here's a few pics for you to check out.

16065112-lg.jpg
    Inside
    16065120-lg.jpg
    Dave & Andy looking at the warehouse
    16065074-lg.jpg
    Inside the pit of the warehouse

For the rest of the shots, check them out here:
    http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1035666

Connoisseur

Did I see a barrel???
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Yep, the last one in there. Empty & no writing that I saw on the top.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

In early 1969 I got the Nicest Car I ever owned working at Kinsey! My 1967 Buick Grand Sport GS-400. It was a 400 cu inch 425 HP with a isky 3/4 race cam and 4 speed close ratio trans with a hurst shifter. It had 2 fuel pumps, one electric and the regular one plus a low 456 posi rear and drag shocks. The custom scoop on the hood was open to the Quadro Jet 4 barrel carb. And it would fly and it had only 10,000 miles on it. It was because of the good money I made working for Publicker that let me get this awesome set of wheels. The first picture has my winter mags and tires, giant snow tires on the back. The second picture has my beautiful Factory Mags. I also had a Dixco Tack on the steering colume and full gauges. Those days were as special as life could be for a 22 yr old!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =========================================
    It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Dave, is that car sitting in your driveway now with a dust cover over it?!

I am sure you did not get any speeding tickets either!

Disciple

Jono I wish I had it now, it would be worth at least $50.00. They only made 2,280 of them with a 4 Speed trans and Hurst shifter! And actualy I never got a ticket with it some How! Almost got stopped for drag racing once but some guy chased us to race the winner and He got stopped instead of me and the 1965 Plymouth 426 I was racing on High street in Pottstown.

It was the neatest Car I ever owned and in retrospect If I knew how cars would change I would have put it away but you thought back then that things would stay the same!
    Dave Z
    ===========================Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments =================
    ================================================== =============================

Disciple

Two Summers ago My Friend who ran the Publicker Marketing Dept gave me the Lamp He had on his desk at the World wide Headquaters on 1429 Chesnut street in Phila.

The Bottle is a very Old Philadelphia Blended Whiskey bottle late 1940's and the Lamp shade is set with a Linfield Straight Bourbon Label on the front with vintage Continental brand labels all the way around the shade. Sadly the back of the Bottle was broken out but there is enough base on the bottle left to mount it again.

This weekend I was able to rewire it and fit the Whiskey Label Shade back on it here is a picture of the working Lamp.

It is now with my other Distillery Lamps sitting next to my Philadelphia Blended Whiskey Bottles.

When I worked for Continental Our brands were some of the best tasting and selling Whiskeys in the world.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===========
    Philadelphia The Heritage Whiskey

Disciple

In the mid 1950's Continental Distilling made a very special bottle for Old Hickory. They had The manufacturer of Coffee Carafe's make them lots of them to bottle Old Hickory in. They had them in sets of two in 10 Yr 86 Proof and Bottled In Bond. I am lucky enough to Have a set of the BIB ones in the sales box. I found the box yrs ago and bought the carafe's at a flee market a set of two the BIB ones they have red caps and the 10 yr 86 proof have white caps. I also found a owners manuel in the plant back in 2005. Here is a Picture of the bottle on the manuel explaining how to make a hot Toddy. I also Have a couple of them in the 10 yr 86 Proof loose that were my Dads when he worked there in the early 1950's.
    1. Old Hickory Carafe
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

This week is going to be a very sad week for me as A Contractor is going to Kinsey to knock down all the buildings that were invloved in the fire. The Township is forcing the owner to do it or they will condem the whole Plant.

Thinking back to better times I found something very cool from my Kinsey days this week. I was down in the basement cleaning for the Heater man to clean the heater end of the Month and I suddenly remembered something from 41 years ago when I worked at Kinsey! I went to an area where I last remembered putting and seeing it all those years ago and there it was in near mint condition. The Star Wars Air Cleaner from My 1967 Buick GS 400. Back then I had taken it off and put a chrome one that sat up through into the Hood scoop.

Well there it was bright red and dusty but the whole top of the unit. Buick called it the Star Wars air cleaner as It looked like Darth Vadars Helmet. Here is a Picture of it after I cleaned it up on my step at home. It is now on displace in my Work Office under pictures of my Buick. I am going to meet Ethan on Sunday and get some last pictures of the Oldest Buildings at Kinsey the township is also making him knock down Kinsey warehouse A the very first one built by Jake Kinsey in 1892. It was not on fire but they don't like its condition.

In your Heart you know stuff like that is coming yet you hate to let it go from those days so long ago. When I put that air cleaner there I thought someday if I sell it I will put it back on. I am so glad I have it now, If I ever get some Money I will buy one but there are very few 4 speed ones as Buick only made 2,280 4 Speed Hurst Shift Buick GS 400 cars in the 2 door Hardtop model.

So it is another wonderful memory of some great times back in my youth working for Publicker. Without that great Job I would have never had the Buick.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =====================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky
    For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-10-2012 at 12:34.

Connoisseur

Dave,

Gretchen and I will be down Sunday with a friend of mine. He is very interested in American whiskey history and he's been really excited about seeing Kinsey. He will be along with us with his kids. He has a son and daughter that like to come along whenever he visits historical or abandoned places. We'll carpool down and see you Sunday! Will you have keys to the buildings?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.