Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

The roof is always the weak spot in such buildings. The old brick walls will stand quite awhile after the roof collapses in.

Nature can take over in a hurry with all of the trees and bramble growing around it. One day it will essentially be swallowed and knocked down
    by trees growing out of the interior once the roof is gone. There is some grace in that rather than being knocked over or burned down.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yes Jono the weeds and nature are taking Kinsey away, but it is better then it being knocked down like what happened to the Publicker sight. Here are a couple of Pictures of lamps made from kinsey parts and a Lamp that used to sit on my friends desk at the Publicker / Continental Distilling World Headquarters on 1429 Walnut Street in Phila.

Except for the Philadelphia Blended lamp that my friend gave me from the headquarters I created the other 3 here plus a couple more, They have modern energy saving blubs in them so I enjoy them every night. I just created the Kinsey Silver whiskey one today on my day off from work!

1. My newly created Kinsey table lamp.
    2. The Old made in the late 1940's Philadelphia Blended Lamp given me by my friend who ran Continental Distilling Marketing.
    3. My Kinsey Lamp and my Exposion proof Lamp made from parts from Warehouse K and the Old Kinsey Bottle House light fixture inverted upward.
    4. My Goose Neck Lamp made with the early 1900's Exposion proof Fixture from the old Grain process building, the only one that was left there. Mounted on a goose Neck conduit from the Plant with a switch from warehouse I , and a exposion proof Pilot light from warehouse I and a old guard key check box from Warehouse C. And little Rub Alcohol wood sign from the 1966 bottling house. I created these lamps and had great fun doing it and had professional electrians wired the big lamps and I myself rewired the Old Philadelphia Blended one and put together the Kinsey one with the help of a wire Kit.

A merry Kinsey Blended Christmas to all!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Kinsey The Unbhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-20-2012 at 07:44.

Disciple

Well If the weather permits I will be walking around Kinsey on Sunday! Been weeks since I have been there and it draws me Like a moth to a flame. I plan on taking my Best Camera this time for some shots of what is left.
    Two days ago I found the American League Baseball Gus Niarhos gave back in the day. It Has the Pres of The American League back then on it Joseph E Cronin. Sadly I never thought to Get Gus who was a cather with the New York Yankees when He was young to sign it. Gus is credited with creating the modern day Cather's mitt but never got a dime for his idea! Every Winter instead of managing in the South American Leagues he came and worked at Kinsey as a Company Man. He at that time in during the baseball seasons managed the NewPort News Minor league team!

Gus was a very cool Guy and he would always have a mouth full of Chew! When he went out on Fridays to get a Beer I loved going with cause if you were late he would say it was all his fault. I said one time to him Gus you did not get many at bats he said when Yogie and Elston Howard are on the team you will get alot of Blisters sitting on the bench.
    Dave Z
    ============================-------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Guru

Dave, if you don't mind me asking, how much actual stock do you have left to drink?
    Are those Cafe Lolita bottle unopened?
    I know your Old Hickory was down to just a bit left at one point.
    What about Inver House or some of their other bourbons, ryes?
    In other words, are those bottles mostly empties?

Connoisseur

Dave- I would join you, but we're already booked this weekend. Once the weather turns warmer, we'll have to make another trek into Kinsey!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Jono sadly I only have 1/2 a bottle of Caffe Lolita, and 1/2 a bottle of original Rittenhouse Rye. A 1/4 bottle of Inverhouse Scotch. I do have a few bottles of Peanut Lolita which is our rarest product as No one made it but us! Ethan give me a call in a couple of weeks before spring when the weeds return.!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guru

Dave, you might be interested in the 3 whisky series that Ralfy is doing...it echoes Kinsey...especially the Brora review. The distillery closed about the same
    time...1984....and has not produced since. However, Diageo kept the property up and it is still "mothbolled" so to speak...unlike your Kinsey. He remarks that
    one thing Diageo has done right is the upkeep of old properties vs letting them decay.

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/

Sunday, 3 February 2013
    whisky review 337 - Introducing Three Dead Distilleries

1. Wednesday, 6 February 2013
    whisky review 338 - Rosebank 14yo Signatory
    2. Sunday, 10 February 2013
    whisky review 339 - Brora 23 yo Signatory 46%
    3. Pending....
    Last edited by Jono; 02-11-2013 at 08:47.

Disciple

Thanks Jono I will check it out, been so busy at work have not had a chance to do anything here. Will be writting soon and posting some Pictures. I will go to that link.
    Dave Z
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here are 3 new Pictures I got from my friend Butch who worked for Publicker for 10 yrs in Phila.
    1. Times Square at night, snow on the ground and Kinsey Blended whisky on the building the ball comes down on at New years!
    2.Times Square another picture Of Kinsey Whisky on the times Square Building used each New years eve!
    3. A very rare Ad for our Peanut Lolita Liquor! Which I am lucky to have a couple of cases of! It was of all things a favorite Of Billy Carter! I will post a picture of Him drinking it soon!

Kinsey as Far as I know is the only one of our Whiskys to ever make the Times Square Building! I hope to soon be posting many more Pictures I have been sick a bit and busy at work and need to write more here!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ====================================
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-25-2013 at 18:46.

Disciple

Took a walk around Kinsey on Sunday mostly to check for open buildings. Pulled one of the roll doors in the 1966 bottle house down! I really have a hard time seeing what the paint spraying people do. Seeing all the weird stuff they do !
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ================
    Amerikca's Most Magnificent Bourbon