Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

So the security guards were lit and Butch picked up a badge as a keep sake. Awesome! Sounds like Christmas Eve was a party day! Great memories, thanks for sharing!

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Just got two Old Ads for Continental Distilling Brands at a low price as Mr Neumen believed in, he always wanted his products to be afordable for the Common Man! Thanks To Butch for these!
    Pictures are
    1. From a Plattsburgh New York Dept Store named Scheier's 1 Full Pint of Envoy Club Whisky Price is a $1.00
    Also Dixie Belle Gin full Quart Price $2.00.
    2. An ad for Dixie Belle Gin, Dixie Belle Gin and the Dead Ducks.

I am fortuneate to have an old original empty Pint Bottle of Envoy ClubI bought many years ago. It is getting very hard to find our bottles and I still long to find an Old Linfield Straight Bourbon bottlee for my Collection while I am still here!
    During these Hot days we are having here in Pa it was never like that in the warehouses they were always cool and you could escape from the heat in them. When I was on the yard gang it was very hot during the summer mowing the lawns and weeding the flower beds. We also did alot of sweeping in buildings and I would always volunter to sweep the old DSP-PA - 12 distller building! Thanks for your Note mbroo5880i
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Best Old Fashioneds Are, You'll Find
    The Mellow, Made with Kinsey Kind! ( Another Great old saying from Continental Distilling)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-17-2013 at 07:11.

Disciple

Here two more rare Old Ad's from Continental Distilling
    1. From the Nasuha Telegraph NH Mar 13 1936 Mild yet 90 Proof Coobs Creek
    2. April 12 1934 Snug Harbor Blended Whisky

I wish I could have taste tested all our Products but I have at least tasted many of them. My Favorite of course is Old Hickory, followed by Hallers County Fair BIB. I still consider our whiskys to have been some of the best ever made!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------===================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

When Prohibition ended during the middle of 1933 / through 1934, The Continental Distilling Division of Publicker Industries was created and began picking names and creating profiles for Drinking Spirits. At that time Harry Publicker and His Son Inlaw Si S. Neuman sat down and had sessions picking names and creating brand types. Then with their Distllling Engineers they created Whiskey Profiles and the mash bills for the Products. I know alot about this from my Friend who ran the Sales part of the company.
    Our 3 Big Time Bourbons where Old Hickory 80 6 yr 86 10 yr, Old Hickory BIB later, Hallers County Fair BIB after they bought The WA Hallers and Sons Distillery and Our Premium Charter Oak Bottled In Bond Bourbon! The Name Old Hickory was bought from its owner before Prohibion and Became the Most famous Bourbon of those Days!
    On March 13,1934 Dr Marks and His Wife Miriam suggested to Publicker the Name Charter Oak. It was Issued to Continental Distilling at that time as a legal name. However Bernheim Distilling of KY claimed the name was to close to their Old Charter Name. They filed a suit which went on for many years I think it was finally resolved by May 1959 and Continental Distilling was able to contiue their Charter Oak brand of BIB Boubon Whisky.
    1. Here is a Picture of an old Charter Oak Ad
    2. Here is an Old Ad issued in Pa for Dixie Belle Gin.

Thanks again to Butch for these great old ads, and here for my being able to talk about the begining of Continental Distilling in History here. When Harry and Philip Publicker went into business they had different ideas. Harry wanted to do only Industrial stuff thinking something was going to happen with spirits. ( Of course Prohibition happened ) Philip Publicker decided He wanted to distill drinking spirits so he Founded American Distilling right down the road from Publicker Ind in Phila back then.

When Prohibition ended the end of 1933 Publicker decided now was the time to start distilling drinking spirits and they went at it big time!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -------------------------------------------------
    Join The Swing To Kinsey
    -----------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-19-2013 at 07:20.

Disciple

Here are some more historic Pictures gotten from my Friend Butch who worked at the Publicker Plant for 10 yrs.
    So Here we go back into History and not Just History but the History of the Greatest Distiller in History In Pa.
    1. The Famous DR Carl Haner in His Snyder Avenue Laboratory in 1933. He claimed He could make 17 yr old Whiskey in 24 hrs with his process? However no whiskey ever marked quick overnight aged was ever marked on any bottles.
    2. Snyder Ave Bottling Plant Empoyee Margaret Kane displaying several bottles of Sweepstakes whiskey at the same time displacying her Irish sweepsatkes tickets for a 150,000.00 prize she hoped she would win Oct 29 1934.
    3. Only the second Picture I have ever seen of WA Hallers and Sons Distilling Plant Nov 29, 1949. I have the one different Picture given to me from my friend in Marketing!
    4. Picture of Hallers County Fair Bourbon on a Billboard and bottom closeup of the Billboard 1950.
    5. Publicker Barrel Warehouse at Swanson & Delaware Avenues Aug 17 1949 Note semi trailers on company lot say Kinsey Whisky.
    6. The Biger Street Chemical Plant in 1935, you can see one of our Paco tanker ships getting loaded!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Many Thanks to Butch for these exciting Pictures especialy the Rare one the the W A Hallers Distillery it is the only one besides the One I have that I have ever seen. Dr Haner made quite a Splash back in the 1930's after Prohibition ended but nothing ever came of quick aged whiskys. Also back in the early 1930's our Sweepstakes straight Whisky was very popular. Those Kinsey trailers in the warehouse picture are the first I have ever seen but Kinsey Whisky was a big seller in NY especaily NY City. It was as far as I know our only brand ever to be on the Times square ball drop building in the 1930's.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-29-2013 at 07:27.

Disciple

Here are some more product pictures gotten from my Buddy Butch.
    1. Invenver House Scotch Ad for Racing sponsered by Inver House. I have in my collection a old pocket Calendar for 1968 American Road racing Sponsered by Inver House I also have a race winning wooden hang up.
    2. Glen Mavis Scotch which I can say I once bought a bottle of on Line and found it a nice Scotch.
    3. Cold Stream British Gin a big seller for Continental they had a Distillery in Eourope where they made it.

I once had a 1/2 Pint of Cold Stream Scotch and found it delightful. I am looking forward to cooler weather so I can go back to visit Kinsey again.
    Dave Z
    Inver House Imported Rare Scotch ( Soft as a Kiss )

Virtuoso

Dave,

I never drank Inver House (I was too young) but I recall the brand. Was it nationally distributed? I live in Indiana and my grandfather drank scotch.

I believe you have said that you liked Old Hickory? Did you have any other favorites?

mbroo

Disciple

Yes mbroo588i it was distributed Nationaly, we had a bottle house out in Lemont IL. The ads through the years named all kinds of Places they would say Inver is in Indiana, or Ohio or France! For being a blended Scotch it was a nice drink! Had a few in my time.
    Yes Old Hickory was my Bourbon of Choice, But I also enjoyed Hallers County Fair BIB. And I enjoyed Governors Club Blended also.

Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soft As A Kiss
    Invers in Indiana!
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-09-2013 at 10:46.

Guru

Haller's County Fair BIB is one dusty I would really like to get my hands on. A six year old BIB made back when.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Yes Squire it is an awesome Pour I was lucky enough to have had a couple of bottles a couple of years ago!
    I aways hope to find Old hickory each time my Birthday comes up just for the pleasure of an old fashioned Bourbon made the way Whiskey should be.
    Here are 3 more pictures posted here, I posted some pictures on each of my 3 threads today.
    1. An ad for Old Hickory Bourbon
    2. A tank Car sitting at Bigler street Plant in the 1960's
    3. A billboard for Embassy Club Canadian Whiskey 1960's / This is a vbery good Whiskey I once a few years ago was given 5 Bottles they have all departed fast!
    Dave Z
    =======================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments