Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1020
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Well Fangzilla as long as I can get some writing in here at home I will keep trying to get some Posts in, the New Old Hickory is Different but a nice product, I am glad they made something good in Honor of Our Old Hickory! And I am so Happy they sent me a bottle it is a nice Whisky
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Well I hope in the next couple of weeks to have a nice enough Sunday afternoon to go back to Kinsey and walk around and get some pictures of the fire. It is getting harder going there and remembering what a great place it was to work back in the day. Right now we would be getting ready to fix the Lawns and work on the flower beds when I was in the yard gang! It was 45 years ago and yet I remember it like yesterday! This Sept Ludy will turn 96 and I will be 67. The years sure have passed by. Us Kinsey Workers are disappearing fast.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

It was a beautiful day but Butch could not make it so I went with a friend to Kinsey just to walk around. I hope to go with Ethan one of these days as at my age I don't go in the buildings much by myself. I walked around in the Government office in O building and everything is just trashed. As I walked around I thought back to the day before Christmas 1969, and seeing the government men dancing around their Christmas tree, an old fake one which now lays destroyed there now. I looked at the giant Fir tree I used to put mulch on when in the yard gang so many years ago, 48 to be correct. Those days 600 people made their living there and had great pride in their work. Things are so different today where I work now they just love the idea of replacing you to pay less. What is happening to Kinsey is very much happening to our great Country now. I am glad I lived in those years and I will always be proud to Have worked for the greatest Distilling company ever Publicker/Continental Distilling Corp. I have not been able to write for a bit due to being sick and not able to write on my work computer because of new rules. But I hope to write some more of my Memories here soon! To everyone here on this site YOU BE WELL
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-17-2014 at 16:54.

Virtuoso

Feel better, Dave...always enjoy your posts.
    Mark

Disciple

Thanks Mark I hope to go there soon with Ethan, but I hate what has happened due to Vandel's The place has really gone bad the last 5 years. When I walk there I sometimes close my eyes for a minute and think back. Last time I remembered being in the old wood and brick Warehouse D and seeing whiskey in Barrels from the 1950's and being given some Straight Rye from a barrel! There were many barrels in there that would be used for the Old Hickory one time 20 year Bourbon!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Dave, Good to see you back on the forum. I hope you are feeling better. I love history and your memories of a great distillery are so great to read about. I wasn't there but I can also close my eyes and can imagine what it must have been like. Wishes for good health and for continued sharing of your memories.

Disciple

mbroo5880i Glad you enjoy them, I will never forget the summer of 1970, we were very busy and the old 1941 Ford Flat trucks were roaring from warehouses with no dump troghs to ones that had them to dump lots of whiskey to be bottled. I remember seeing one of the trucks no longer had doors or windows or even a windshield ! Dickie Pheifer had just put a new windshield in and the guy driving it Bob Mc Ginley destroyed it before the day was done. Those old flat head fords just ran and ran. They had brought them up from their forest tract where they got their White Oak for barrels down south, to use in the plant in the mid 1960's. I loved hearing them wind up through the plant. For a young 19 year old it was an amazing thing.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===============
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-03-2014 at 18:05.

Disciple

Well here I am back been having some hard times but now back here writing on all 3 threads. I have to get a new picture resizer as I have some pictures to post soon. Sunday walking around the plant I just had so many memories of the place going through my head. It was sureal to see the place so destroyed. I could in my mind see the Old Flat head 1941 Ford trucks roaring around the plant. I could see Ludy putting Barrels together. As always even on such a hot day cool breezes were coming through the plant like days of Old but no one was there and every thing is ruined and nothing but the sound of the old doors rattling in the breeze.
    Life has been very cruel to the Beautiful Distillery in Linfield by the river! I am Glad Mr Neuman can not see it as it is, as he loved the Plant very much and most weeks came up every week to look around. I look and no Heat pipes no trucks no people and no work ever to be done again there as Kinsey and Continental! And to top it off the grafetti people are drawing their horrible pictures everywhere.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ====
    Join The Swing To Kinsey

Disciple

In order to keep the Memories of Kinsey alive I gave my friend Paul at work who wired about 39 sets of explosion proof lights for me through the years a complete explosion proof light from the ceiling of the old 1933 Jacob G kinsey Bottle house I saved a couple of years ago. I also gave him an explosion proof switch. He is going to put the light on the ceiling of the room where He put the kinsey stuff I have given him through the years. By sharing the story of Kinsey will go on many years after I am gone!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ======
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments.

Disciple

Tonight I had dinner with the people who bought the Kinsey Label and are going to distill in Philadelphia! They plan on a Kinsey Rye, a 7 year old Blended straight whisky and a Kinsey Bourbon. I saw their labels on a laptop and their bottles. It is very exciting to see the Kinsey name return in Pa after all these years. They have their building and are doing their stuff with the Pa LCB right now. They want me to be a spokes person for them which is very exciting for me. They will start with buying Whisky till the stuff they distill gets aged. The new Labels are something Jake Kinsey would be proud of. They called me and I just can't say how happy I am to see The Name Kinsey come back to Whiskey!
    Dave Z
    ==================================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments
    Join The Swing To kinsey!