Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Thanks for sharing the photos, Mozilla Don Kinsey

Dave should write a Book on the Distillery I'm sure the family would be proud, thank you for your kind words Dave, Don Kinsey

Thanks for the photos Don Kinsey

Disciple

Just a note Don I am very glad you can see these pictures of Your Familys History. Mr Jacob G. Kinsey was a very Smart man and someone who did not give up! His great nephew Al Landis 90 years old now told me when he came to see him in spring of 1933 he Al Landis was a young man then and Mr Kinsey was 75 years old that he said Al I want you to come help me open up the Distillery and make fine wiskeys! Most people after all those years of not being able to Distill during Prohibition and being that old would just give up he did not and ran it till fall 1939 when his debt was to much Publicker / Continental Distilling bought it and ran it and built all the Explosion proof Warehouses. Mr Kinsey During Prohibition told me by Al Landis, went to Germany to study Brewing of Beer. Mr Kinsey started out as a School teacher, then after that went to work in a Creamery then bought 4 of his own then sold them and in 1891 fall bought the ground Kinsey stands on it was around 300 to 400 acres then and built his Distillery in 1892!
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    ------------------------------

Enthusiast

My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Dave,
    After reading all of your posts and touring the site with you, I am interested in learning more. I have unsuccessfully searched for information concerning J.G.Kinsey. Was he considered a master distiller or was his expertise in blending? What was distilled at the Linfield location? I found an old advertisement from about 1942 concerning Kinsey's Golden Anniversary Blend. The label indicates that it was blended and bottled in Linfield.

What happened to the records from the Linfield facility. Do you know if the county or township historical societies have any documents?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Disciple

Doug as far as I know Jacob G. Kinsey was a master Distiller and Blender of Whiskey. One of his earliest Whiskeys was Kinsey Straight Rye which he had in the earliest days bottled in Ny , if you look at my Wood case which is dated 1909 it Says Kinsey Straight Rye Whiskey.I Have a bottle at home so will look the name up of who bottled it for him. When he came back in 1933 Fall he started distilling and then set up an Early Bottle line in the #10 Rye Building I took you in on the tour. His Great Nephew and Ludy both told me about that then the Bottle House behind the Barn that Phils fan and I went in was his first real building for just bottling as before they bottled right next to the #10 Still. I will speak to his great nephew Al Landis and Ludy and find out how much he was of a distiller, but from all I have heard His was A Master Distiller! And from what I have heard He was very Good at making great Whiskey Blends when Prhibition ended!
    He only had a couple people when he reopened so He would have been doing all the Distilling.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

A couple of more things Fricky I forgot to put in the above notes Mr Kinsey Distilled Kinsey Rye Kinsey,Kinsey Blended then Kinsey Gold and Kinsey Silver Blended Whiskey Linfield Bourbon, Kinsey's Maywood straight Rye which I have a bottle and I will ask Al Landis & Ludy when I talk to them about any more made while Mr Kinsey was there!
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    -----------------------------

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Fricky here is a Picture of a very Old Bottle from when Kinsey was distilling but not bottling anything yet! Maywood Brand Straight RYE Whiskey. Note on the top it says Kinsey's Pennsyvania Rye 90 proof, bottom it says Bottled by The American Liquor Company Boston Mass. He must have back in the Angelo Myers days there have had his whiskeeys Bottled in Boston! I will be talking to Al Landis about Mr Kinseys Distilling very soon, and I will ask Ludy about his Ability as a Distiller.
    This is the only None Linfield / Kinsy / Publicker / Continental Bottle I own they are few and far between. I do not have one of the Angelo Myers Bottles, but it could be he was an agent for getting his wiskeys bottled?
    Do not Know.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

FRicky and everyone else here are some more Kinsey Brands I bought some rare labels at the flee Market also.
    Picture
    1. Conestoga Striaght Peach Brandy Distilled in Elverson Pa Bottled at Kinsey Distillery
    2. Three Kings Straight Rye Distilled at Kinsey and Bottled at Kinsey
    3. Linfield Bourbon which was one of the oldest Kinsey Brands bottled in Phila by Continental
    4. An orginal Continental Brand Philadelphia but this time Straight Rye
    5. Sweep Stakes Blended One of the very first Continenal Brands Label says 1933 on it they Made Sweep Stakes Striaght and Blended
    Other Continental Brands that someone bought the Labels before I could are Town Crier Blended Whiskey & Rustic Straight Rye Whiskey.
    I got the Label guys name and will be visiting him some time for more!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's MostMagnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-20-2008 at 14:53.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The graphics on the straight peach brandy label speak of the 1950's, and this must be one of the last if not the last traditional American peach brandies made. This was not a brandy of the wine-derived type flavoured with peaches but a distillate of peaches themselves, and aged at least two years to earn the designation "straight". Cool.

Gary