Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I am from the "Quad Cities"...Moline / Rock Island IL and Davenport / Bettendorf - IA metro area....actually a small city called Silvis, IL. Anyway, the big employer has always been John Deere...though other competitors like the old International Harvester and Case had plants there too. My dad was a skilled machinist and worked for a small specialty company....non-union...Parr Instrument Company. He could have doubled his wages and had better benefits but he did not want to work in the large Deere plants. He liked the comraderie of his shop and the work. He tried Deere when he was young but just did not like it. Now most people would think you were nuts...after all Deere was Nirvana for the working man in the QC....but he said no thanks. I remember going with Mom to pick him up after work...in those days one car in the family was not unusual....we would park and wait for the shop door to open and out would come the guys with their lunch buckets...all chatting..some would light up...other moms picking their husbands up. Dad was always one of the last to leave...he took extra time to clean up his work area and make sure things were right. The one benefit of working there was that he avoided the cycle of union strikes and layoffs and long over-time hours that were common at Deere and other large union shops. I wonder if his exposore to all those cutting oils and other products coupled with his pipe smoking could have led to his cancer...he developed a lymphoma at 55 and we lost him at 57. Heck, everyone at that time probably had asbestos exposure....I bet Kinsey had it on the pipes, it was in insulation, many products. We used in it High School labs for hot objects. He never wanted us to go into his kind of work...it was going to be college for us. His old company is still there and appears to be thriving.

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a small pour of your Old Hickory.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yes Jono there was plenty of Asbestos at Kinsey all the Heat pipes that ran through the Plant were wraped in it! I decided before going to my Sisters for a little bit of Dinner to take a walk around Kinsey today Like I did on Thanksgiving 2006. I got some nice pictures and here are 8 of the shots I will post the rest later this weekend. I like your Dad Jono I always enjoyed going to work at Kinsey and was not in a big Hurry to leave at the end of the day.
    Pic 1 thru 3 the Kinsey Stair case in Dsp-Pa-10 Rye Barn I climbed it and found it to be very strong yet and unharmed by the weather
    Pic 4 & 5 Shots from the Bank behind where the Old Dsp-Pa-12 stood
    Pic 6 thru 8 Shots standing down in the little valley behind the grain building near where the Boiler room was of the 1966 Bottling House two shots showing how Long it is the white Tank at the end is the far end of the building and the Last one showing as much of the side of the Bottle House in a picture you can get in!

I have about 23 more Pictures I will post later. As always I had a good time walking around and it was very Peaceful there as it always is.
    Dave Z
    =================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments
    =================================
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-27-2008 at 16:07.

Disciple

Here are the last of the Pictures from Kinsey I took last Sunday!
    1. Reads Dsp - Pa 12 warehouse B Continental Distilling corp

2 Warehouse B Racks
    3. Old Barrel holder hanges from rack in Warehouse A built in 1892
    4.Warehouse A racks fallen down
    5. Racks in B holder hanging
    6. The Old Barrel Lift that Ludy told me about fallen down to bottom
    7. More fallen racks in Warehouse A
    8. Racks still standing in Warehouse B
    9. Looking in Warehouse D out near road
    10. Looking back from warehouse D at door to Dsp - pa-10 Rye Barn
    11.12,13 shots of the back road side of the Old kinsey Bottling House I took a walk out toward the road between the buildings to get this shot never got any of it from this side before.
    14. Warehouse E last one before the road out front
    15. Looking down at warehouse E from D
    16. Fire fighting mains for warehouse D in special room built on
    17. Looking at Dsp-pa-10 and Warehouse's A & B behind it and the old bottling house and where bricks are the sight of the plant office from behind where the still stood
    18. A shot of the inside of the smaller Silo that sits next to the Old Grain drying Building that Charlie drove his buggy out of.
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-30-2008 at 16:27.

Disciple

Well I may really be able to write a book about Publicker & Mr Neuman after Last night!

Last night I received a call from a very Important Person that was involved in almost all of the operations of Continental and Publicker Ind, and this spring we hope to get together when He is in my area and He likes the Idea of a book and has tons of Informamtion and pictures of The Plant in Phila and Kinsey. I talked to him for over two hours and I am very Excited about the hope of writing a tribute Book to Mr Neuman and Publicker Industries and its History and with his help and advice it can be done. I will leave it at that.

Here is a Picture of My Hallers County Fair BIB 1946 / 1950 bottle of that I took the whiskey out of and wrote about on The General Bourbon thread

I am going to the Plant for a walk today I want to look for something I saw in my pictures from Last week and if I can get it will bring it home.

I will if possible get a few differant shots today and will write later today.
    Dave Z
    ===========================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ===========================================

Guru

That is great news Dave!

Disciple

If I get the chance to write a Book with this important person It would be my lifes dream come true. I have for years now wanted to do a book About Publicker / Continental Distilling / Kinsey Distilling and Mr Si Neuman the Man who brought it all about with his amazing Ideas and insight. He was a True Leader and made Publicker the Greatest Distiller in the history of Pa and as far as I am concerned the most Prolic Distiller in History!

However I just do not have the ability without expert help to do a book and this Man has the most expert help I could get!

I will always be proud that I was able to work for Mr Neuman and to be able to work for such a great company. It was the very Best Job I ever had and with some Wonderful people that I will always remember.

The reason we can enjoy Scotch as we do today was because of Mr Neuman and most Ideas used today were Publicker Idea's they were always on the cutting edge in ideas.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Inver House Soft As A Kiss
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-02-2008 at 02:34.

Guru

A little info...reference to the Lemont, IL bottling operation:

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...463.14516.html

"...For some time prior to 1962, Publicker had sought to decentralize its bottling activities in order to remain competitive and to obtain lower freight charges. Early in 1962, plans were made for the establishment of a bottling plant at Lemont, Illinois.

During August and September of 1962, the Lemont plant was remodeled and equipped to operate as a liquor bottling plant. The first bottling line was established on September 24, 1962. However, the hiring of employees for maintenance purposes commenced about September 10th. While the remodeling of the building was under way, interviewing procedures with applicants for employment were many times hectic, and often the interview with job applicants was very brief...."

"...We reject the findings and decision of the Board that Continental was guilty of unfair labor practices due to coercion of employees and unlawful assistance to Production Workers Union. The Brewery Workers was notified well in advance of the plans for a factory at Lemont. No employee was threatened or coerced. No employee was offered any kind of benefits for joining the Production Workers Union. Further, during the organization campaign, Production Workers was not permitted on the Company's premises. Employees were hired irrespective of their having signed or not signed with Production Workers...."

I wonder if this is of any relation to the old company:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_ktx4h

Continental Distributing Co Inc
    9800 Balmoral Ave, Des Plaines, IL 60018-5236

Est 1933
    Last edited by Jono; 12-02-2008 at 09:15.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Here are the last of the Pictures from Kinsey I took last Sunday!
    1. Reads Dsp - Pa 12 warehouse B Continental Distilling corp

2 Warehouse B Racks
    3. Old Barrel holder hanges from rack in Warehouse A built in 1892
    4.Warehouse A racks fallen down
    5. Racks in B holder hanging
    6. The Old Barrel Lift that Ludy told me about fallen down to bottom
    7. More fallen racks in Warehouse A
    8. Racks still standing in Warehouse B
    9. Looking in Warehouse D out near road
    10. Looking back from warehouse D at door to Dsp - pa-10 Rye Barn
    11.12,13 shots of the back road side of the Old kinsey Bottling House I took a walk out toward the road between the buildings to get this shot never got any of it from this side before.
    14. Warehouse E last one before the road out front
    15. Looking down at warehouse E from D
    16. Fire fighting mains for warehouse D in special room built on
    17. Looking at Dsp-pa-10 and Warehouse's A & B behind it and the old bottling house and where bricks are the sight of the plant office from behind where the still stood
    18. A shot of the inside of the smaller Silo that sits next to the Old Grain drying Building that Charlie drove his buggy out of.
    This is very interesting, Dave. I hope your plans for the book come through. Sounds like an exciting opportunity to put all your memories together.

Disciple

Thank You Street I have great Hopes of doing the Book with the Man that called me and He has tons of information about Publicker Industries! It is a life's dream coming true. Also I want to Call Ludy up today and see if he can remember Who T.E.M was who worked on the Still as he signed the Mash Bills in 1951. This would be a nice thing to find out for the history of the Mash bills posted on the other Thread.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------

Disciple

Here is a picture from an old Post card I saw on the web of the old Bridge that ran across the river in front of Kinsey looking to the left the building sticking up on the right side going toward linfield Is Kinsey back in I think they said the card was from 1909. Thanks to Fricky for telling me about this so i could grab this picture.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments
    --------------------------------