Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 39 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Hey Dave...I just saw these old advertisements posted on whiskymag dot com, and I thought you might want to see them here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apprentice

Here's another one...

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

WOW thanks they are great ads never saw those western ones ever! Today has been a really great day Fricky and I met at my friends house across from the Distillery and picked up our 2 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Barrels which I hand picked from in the Plant about 2 months ago when My friends unlocked the door and took me in.

They are mint condition and the Bung's are still in them the Whiskey evaporated out of them! They also got me the Kinsey Pa #10 Distillery sign that used to be on the DSP-PA-12 Still after Mr Kinsey built it. They even removed an old block of wood from it and got their saw and trimed a bad end off it! Fricky is going to patch it where it is broken with two boards and then try to spray something to keep the Lettering on it from flaking off. It is the most Historic Sign in the place and will have a spot of Honor at my Home.

I also took a set of matching Receiving & Mash bill from Mar 15 1951 to the Limerick Historic Society and donated it today with a promise they will frame and mat it as I did mine. I told them it is one of a kind in the world I have the only ones that still exsist! They were very Excited about having them.

Fricky will when he starts our Barrels post before and after pictures of them. They are in amazing shape and they are a very rare thing to have as dated 1971! They must have never got dumped and were put away in building L and the Whiskey evaported in them but they had Hoop Nails on them so the Hoops stayed tight!

Once Fricky fixes the sign for me I will take pictures of it and post them, this has been a great day for History of Kinsey and it is time for me to go have a shot of Whiskey and get to bed.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Guru

The 100 proof BIB version noted at the bottom of the advertisement would have been great to try too.

Disciple

I never Got to try the BIB 100 Proof Old Hickory but it was a big seller! It too was 6 years old we never made an Old Hickory that was not at least 6 years of aging or 10 yrs! And as I have said we even had a special 20 yr Old Hickory! I think the aging of at least 6 yrs has to be a big part of why Old Hickory was and is when found today Dam Good Whiskey!

The Company always took The Making Of Old Hickory very serious as it was our Number One Bourbon and Our Biggest seller. It had its own Mash Bill not shared with any of our Other Bourbons.

I would think the character of Old Hickory BIB would have been alot like Our Haller's County Fair BIB but with 2 more yrs aging and a much more smooth Rich Flavor. When you drink Old Hickory your mouth feels lots of flavors coming out of everywhere and it always rolls down so easy!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Working in the Old Wood and Brick Warehouses at Kinsey was one of the hardest Jobs. The reason being they were limitted in space when you got between the rack to roll the barrels, you had to either climb the wooden Ladders to get to each level all the way up to the 6th level or ride the old fashion Freight Elevater a couple people only at at time. There was just enough room in warehouses D,E by the Old Bottle House and F,G and H for a small lift on the first two levels to bring barrels down.

In the two oldest 1892 Warehouses built by Jacob Kinsey - A & B- you had to use a very weird hoist that was mounted in the roof you would put a chain and hook on each end of the barrel on the heads and tighten the chain with the electric hoist then slowly lower the Barrel. These two old Warehouses were the frist to not be filled in the end years!

In the other Oldest warehouses the freight Elevaters were very touchy you had to always make sure to be exact in the amount of Barrels you loaded or you would go crashing to the ground floor. I Had that happen once when one of the guys loaded an extra barrel on when I was not looking and hit bottom Hard.

They were just Brick walls with a couple of Windows on the river side of them and lighting and a little heat and lots of Sprinklers mounted everywhere inside! Even the 1892 Warehouses A,B had sprinklers!

Some of the Very Best Rye Whiskey and Bourbons came from these old Wood and Brick warehouses and I had my First Shot of Rye at 19 yrs old from them!

Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old hickory
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Here is a Picture I took of the Old Blue print I Found at the Kinsey Maintaince Barn about the Potato Project I was wrong about the year it was being considered in 1946 just after the end of the war by Continental they were thinking I guess about distilling Potato's there at DSP-Pa-12. I just framed it tonight

Also Fricky sent me these Last 5 pictures by e mail of our two Barrels we got from my friends at Kinsey on Sunday and the Old Sign after they cut the extra off the end and the two barrel staves with bungs. Fricky is going to restore the sign some for me and I will preserve it at home then. He is going to turn our two 1971 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Whiskey Barrels into tables for us keeping them original.

Also He is going to finish the two Barrel Staves with Bungs I got us at Kinsey this Past fall! The sign is the rarest sign from the Plant, it was laying in a pile of bricks when I found it after the still was knocked down it flew off it and broke some but I was able to dig it out and now after fricky fix's it a little I will save it for History! It was mounted on the Front of DSP-Pa-12 by Mr Kinsey back when it was built and thankfully survived the building being knocked down.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-17-2009 at 18:37.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Here is a Picture I took of the Old Blue print I Found at the Kinsey Maintaince Barn about the Potato Project I was wrong about the year it was being considered in 1946 just after the end of the war by Continental they were thinking I guess about distilling Potato's there at DSP-Pa-12. I just framed it tonight

Also Fricky sent me these Last 5 pictures by e mail of our two Barrels we got from my friends at Kinsey on Sunday and the Old Sign after they cut the extra off the end and the two barrel staves with bungs. Fricky is going to restore the sign some for me and I will preserve it at home then. He is going to turn our two 1971 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Whiskey Barrels into tables for us keeping them original.

Also He is going to finish the two Barrel Staves with Bungs I got us at Kinsey this Past fall! The sign is the rarest sign from the Plant, it was laying in a pile of bricks when I found it after the still was knocked down it flew off it and broke some but I was able to dig it out and now after fricky fix's it a little I will save it for History! It was mounted on the Front of DSP-Pa-12 by Mr Kinsey back when it was built and thankfully survived the building being knocked down.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Getting the two 50 gal barrels is a very exciting thing for me as they are another part of the Plant and its history. There are maybe 47 Barrels left in the One warehouse building and that is it and it is amazing there are any in good shape really after all these years. The Building they are in is dryer and in good shape. Also I am very glad I was able to save the Still Sign from going to the dump. It flew to where it was buried when the still was knocked down and I spoted it a year ago and slowly dug it out of the mess when I went there. Then with winter coming I turned it over so snow would not lay on the writtting on it. Thanks to being friends with the guys that watch things it is now safe and getting repaired. I could Have most likely never carried it out throught the field to heavy as it had metal and was longer till the guys cut some extra wood off and took the metal covering around it off.

Saving the History and memories of Kinsey is my Goal as long as I can do it.
    Also I found first Picture above the Potato Project Blue print the day I found the 2 1/2 Pint bottles of Scotch that sat in the wall for 35 + years Ludy thought they had belonged to my Old friend there Lou Thought he remembered him telling him he hid them there but so long ago can't be sure! Sadly the Place is starting to get nearer the end and I hate to think of the day it will be gone!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-18-2009 at 03:40.

Disciple

I am Planning to go back to Kinsey this weekend weather permitting and get some more shots and look for some more history Pieces. So Many times I wish all of you could try our Whiskeys against the ones Now and see how they stacked up I would be very willing to bet they would do very good. I think the Old hickorty would take on the Best if for no other reason then its being aged at least 6 years and its High Quality.

The Company Had 4 Laboratorys one in Center City, one at DSP-Pa-1 In Phila for both Industrial and drinking Alcohol and One in the Big Bottling house in Linfield and I have been told one in Eddystone Pa and a 5th one at Lemont IL bottling house.

I am lucky to have an Actual Laboratory Beaker for Bourbon from Kinsey in my Collection.

I just feel the need to walk there again and just look and remember, it is good for my soul it seems. I have been looking through my many pieces of company Paper work and want to take some good scans of them and post them.

I wish I could have got there looking back now when DSP-Pa-12 was still standing to get shots in there for History. When I worked there I was amazed at how good they took care of the Place not just the Lawns and things you see but the Oldest not used Buildings were always kept up.

I have some Paper work about daily Out put in the Big Bottle House I want to dig out and post also. I look at every Piece of Company Paper work I saved as living History and I am pleased that I found the old Blue Print titiled The Potato Project while it was still there laying just out of the rain and weather in good shape.

Everytime I go there I find or see Parts of Pa. Distilling History and there are times when I wish I could have seen Old #12 making Great Whiskey but that ended in early 1951.

Another thing I have been thinking since we were so big and yet there seems to be so little Old Hickory still foating around in peoples cabinets and old stores it is a testament to How Dam Good It Was!

I plan on calling Ludy Today and talk some about the place as he most times tells me something interesting for sure.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Guru

Dave, is there a current bourbon that comes closest to the taste of Old Hickory? At least, what is Old Hickory closest to..say by comparison:

Example....if you were to sit down and pour 6 different bourbons....it would be interesting to see where Old Hickory would slot in along the profile.