Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Last night when I spoke to Mr Al Landis the great Nephew of Jacob Kinsey while giving my Talk about the Distillery He told me about when the Place reopened in fall of 1933. Mr Kinsey came to their home and said to him I want you to work for me at my Distillery, He had never done anything like it and did not know then that he would roll the first Whiskey barrel to be dumped there after Prohibition to the trough and dump it to be bottled! Finding these things out for History is exciting to me and He said those were exciting days there, they started by distilling and filling all the Warehouses 20,000 barrels each there at the time when filled then building some More warehouses. Mr Kinsey was then 75 so to those on the web that Think he was not active I can say He was working there till late 1939 / 1940 when it went the Sheriffs sale. And Mr Kinsey Lived to be 94 years old and the Plant when Publicker Closed had been there operating for 94 Years! He died in 1952 and that is why in the Ads they called him America's oldest Living Distiller.
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-15-2008 at 09:55.

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Thanks Dave for the story on the old Kinsey farmhouse. It did look like it was in pretty good shape when I first came acrosst it all those years ago back in the late 1980's. I guess at that point it had only been empty for a few years. If I get to it before the nice weather comes I will have to go thru my pictures of the distillary and see if I can post them on this site. If you have highspeed internet I posted a few videos that I took this past Palm Sunday Youtube.com . Just put in 'bbo40' and it should link you to my channel. I took short videos of the farmhouse, barn and the back part of the distillary. thanks again for all the information you have provided and if you have anymore stories I am sure that we all are interested in hearing them. I just found out this weekend that my great uncle used to work at the distillary, his name was Alex "Sonny" Bartha. Not sure when or how long he was there, but my dad thinks it was for quite a few years from what he remembers; thru the 50's and 60's.
    till next time, Bob
    p.s. I forgot to ask, how did the talk go on Monday night? hope it went well for you and I wish I could have been there

Disciple

Hi Bob the talk went real good and People seemed to enjoy it. Also I met Jacob G Kinsey's great Nephew Al there and he said all my history of Mr Kinsey was right on the money! I had all my pictures and some bottles and stuff there and the Chart I made of the Plant which I gave to the Historic Society. If you ever get in Limerick from 1:00 Pm till 4:00 Pm on a sunday they are open and have many bottles I have given them and other stuff for History. MR Kinsey's great Nephew dumped the first Barrel that came of age at the Plant after they started up when Prohibition ended. They had a bottle line in the old #10 Rye Building then and the still in there was a column still or Continuous still type! Mr Kinsey was there till the place was sold at auction to Continental in late 1939 / 1940 he was then going on 82 years old. When he reopened after Prohibition he was then 75 years old most people at that age today give up! Take care and keep in touch.
    Dave

Novice

Hey Dave - thanks for working so hard to keep the history alive. I'm actually Si Neuman's grandson and having never been in the plants or been a part of the whiskey operation, its great to get a feel for what it was like back then!

Disciple

B. Neuman First let me say I am very happy to keep the History going of one of the greatest Company's Publicker / Continental Distilling and your Grandfather Si Neuman. Publicker Industries was one of the most prolific companys ever and Mr Simon Neuman was a Born Leader of Men and his idea's back then were new and unhread of but today those idea's are common practice. He was a Giant among Company Chairman and when he did something He always did it big and Very fast. That was one of the important reasons for His great success he did not sit around thinking should I or not he got it done. Whenever he would come up to ride around the plant there was a feeling of Security. Him being there spoke of the Place going on. When he died everyone felt like things were just going down for good. His ideas such as getting the Government to let them ship whiskey barrels to Scotland to be refilled with scotch and make a better product have continued to this day. He decided to build Stills in Scotland and did it quickly and in a very big way. Inver House became the toast of the world one of the all time most famous of Scotchs. The Quality of the Whiskeys, Ryes and Industrial Alcohols came from His leadership. And the whole time 5,000 world wide Employees had good paying jobs and happy lives due to his Leadership. At Kinsey in those days we had 600 people with great good paying jobs in a clean Park like plant. We would always do our best to keep the plant looking good and we had a feeling of Pride in the Plant. Who could ever forget the beginning of it all, them in 1933 sitting down after Probitiion picking product names many for the City he loved such as Philadelphia Blended Whiskey, Cobbs creek Whiskey, Rittenhouse Rye the very Best Rye whiskey of its time. And Inver House Scotch in the 1960's named for his beautiful Home. I will always be proud to have worked there for a company that was in its time the best of the Best! And He will always be remebered as A Giant in the Industry. And a Great Man!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-25-2008 at 10:35.

Disciple

This morning my Mind is going back to Slogans for Whiskey long ago. Publicker had some real Neat ones my Favorite was on the Neon going over the Waltwhitman Bridge on the stack it said " Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon" another was "It Seems all the nicest People drink Old Hickory" Then there was Inver House " Soft as A Kiss" " Inver's In London" and other places. And " Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey" just to name a few.
    The Others all had them too such as Kessler smooth as Silk. Those were the Good Old days!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon"
    ---------------------------------------------

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    This morning my Mind is going back to Slogans for Whiskey long ago. Publicker had some real Neat ones my Favorite was on the Neon going over the Waltwhitman Bridge on the stack it said " Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon" another was "It Seems all the nicest People drink Old Hickory" Then there was Inver House " Soft as A Kiss" " Inver's In London" and other places. And " Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey" just to name a few.
    The Others all had them too such as Kessler smooth as Silk. Those were the Good Old days!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon"
    ---------------------------------------------
    Another Slogan was Philadelphia Blended "The Heritage Whiskey"
    Publicker had many things for advertising those days everything from Rulers with the Price of Haller's SRS to Old Hickory Cig Lighters. Governors club Ice trays Clocks I have a Haller's County Fair covered wagon with a 1/10TH BOTTLE IN IT. Marketing is everything and it worked for them in the good days. Of all the Blends they had, Philadelphia was a classic Whiskey Blend and one of their biggest sellers. On the top of all the Skol Vodka Cases it states just stay Skol instead of Vodka. And they even had a blend of only Straight whiskeys called Old Classic I never had any but have a bottle stating a blend of many Premium Straight whiskeys 7 years & 8 years old.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------

Guru

Funny coincedance, I just finished a book by Richard Stark "Killtown" original copyright 1964.

And I quote,..."Parker found the kitchen, found a bottle of Philadelphia and a glass and a tray of ice cubes,..."

I did a search and it looks like Heaven Hill has the name now.
    ovh

Disciple

You are right Heaven Hills has the Philadelphia Label and it still sells good except this state where you have to special order it as they need all the room they can for good old Wine! They also have Guckenheimer which they got from Continental as they had that label at the end also. And of course The Rittenhouse Rye Brand good stuff but can't get it in Pa. Its funny you saw that as a friend was watching an old early 1970's Movie the other day and in it a Lady offered a drink to the other person she offered 3 things but he siad the first one was Amareto Lolita which is what they took. It was a big seller for Continental and was bottled in the old Kinsey Bottle house out front. I do not have any of that but I do have half a bottle of Cafe Lolita and lots of My Favorite Peanut Lolita a wonderful Bourbon and Peanut Liquor! No one other then Continental ever made that. I have ever seen. I hope some day for some other former Continental / Publicker People to see these writting and give some insight. There should be some around yet. Philadelphia Blended was always my favorite Blended whiskey I hope Heaven Hills does a good job on it as they have with Rittenhouse Rye which I was able to get from Binneys.
    Dave
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------

Disciple

I have been thinking about all the Idea's great brands and good people that worked for Publicker and it is such a shame for it to be gone! When I worked at Kinsey we never worried about having a job as long as we did it right. There was a feeling of Safey when Mr Neuman was Living and hope of new idea's in the works. From the day he took over as Chairman his ideas were always big and do them fast, he was not one to sit and wait to see how the winds would go. He believed that if you have a great Idea you should put it to work ASAP! And That is why He led the company to greatness. Be it using whiskey Barrels for Scotch or Making Blended Whiskey a better product he never stopped his process of Idea's. And at the same time He had great pride in the Kinsey Plant and keeping it beautiful. When he was running the Company Kinsey was the showcase of the company through his leader ship we had beautiful Lawns well kept Company Homes flower beds, and many beautiful trees! We also had to keep the plant very clean and we were told never put anything in the river or the ground protect our water! We had high end fire frighting equipment and all the things we needed to get things done. Quality Control was their biggest thing those days they had 4 Quality Labs and if you bought a bottle of Old Hickory one week and went back six months later the Quality was always consistent. Our Whiskeys were right in with the Best Of the best even the cheaper ones were very good value for the price. Also The Company was very Proud under Mr Neuman to be an American company and very much for our country! They donated many bottles of Whiskey to the Army, Navy and Marines! I am very Happy to be able to speak of the greatest Industrial and Drinking Alcohol maker in history in my eye's and was very lucky to work for such a company! I learned how to work hard there and the joy of being a part of a great company. I found Many notes from people who were very sad to find out they were closing one Lady said I do not know what I will do without my Phila Blended Whiskey, a state store in Ohio asked if they had any more caffe Lolita they could send. During the Marshel Plan in 1944 Publicker donated many rail cars of Grain at Kinsey to save lives they gave it and asked for nothing in return! This is the reason i try my best to keep history alive for Publicker / Continental Distilling my tribute to an amazing Company started by Harry Publicker and driven to greatness by Si Neuman!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ----------------------------------------------