Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Is the scent long gone or can you still pick it up on humid days?

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Jono When you walk through the Explosion Proof Warehouses on a Humid or cold day you can in some of them still smell Whiskey even though there is nothing in them but open floors the Cement floors have whiskey soaked in them.

In the spring on a cool spring day I went into Warehouse P by way of the back fire door and on the little escape porch in the fire door as the front was locked to the second floor. This was the day I found my Explosion proof 1941 Western Electric telephone. As I walked across the second floor I instantly smelled a heavy Whiskey smell and to my amazement not only did I smell it but it had sweated out of the floor in a long puddle. After all these years and the upper doors being open whiskey was still in the floor.

Also I have smelled it in some of the other warehouses the guys who watch the place say sometimes they still smell Whiskey in the air on a cold day when the wind is blowing toward their House

So I guess if you made condo's of them you would get the smell of good Whiskey. I know one thing it smelled dam good that day in there and brought back all the memories of the rooms being filled with Blue Vapors back when I was young working there.

I called Ludy Last night and my old boss from the warehouses Jack they are both ok but Jack was saying as I know there is just him and Ludy and Ace and Al left also Frank Kurtus.

Jack also solved the Mistery for me I had tried to call my Old Friend Frank Kurtus last yr and his wife would not tell me where he was or if he was living. Well Jack talked to her and said Frank had a stroke and can't talk. Frank was the one in Maintaince who was so kind to me and fixed my car for me at work and did not charge me way back then! I had a 1963 Chevy that yr.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

I could not stand another day without going to Kinsey and I took my camera with me!
    Pictres are
    1. Back Water tower
    2. Weeds taking over everything
    3. More Weeds and trees taking over
    4. 1/2 Million Gal Whiskey Storage tank taken over by Summer Weeds!
    5. Door going into Warehouse P type of Electric locking device!

I have a few more Plant pictures I will post later It is always very Hard for me to see Kinsey Like this and I hate it being this way as I love the Kinsey Plant! Also I could agian when I went into warehouse N smell a bit of Whiskey nothing like that great smell!

I can never stay away from Kinsey more than a few weeks I am always looking for that special Picture to show what it was Like to work for that great Comapny in That great place it was a very Special Place to work and as long as I live I will never forget Kinsey.

Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    There's No Better Bourbon
    Old Hickory Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-19-2009 at 17:35.

Guru

Interesting graffiti on the door photo.....true enough...for both living and non-living...damn kids.

Disciple

Here are the rest of the Pictures from Sunday to go with the ones posted just before this thread with the Weeds taking Kinsey over. Also I climbed the Cat walk stairs and got some shots of the Black coated incoming stainless tanks at the big Bottle house and posted them on the Bottle House Thread last night!
    1. Inside Explosion Proof Warehouse second floor
    2. Second Floor Warehouse N Door in wall open sun coming in note the old Barrel Lift near the door.
    3. Looking across from J warehouse Dock to Warehouse K dock
    4. Looking down coming in from Government Warehouse O weeds climbing everywhere
    5. Inside the Old Jacob G Kinsey Post Prohibition Bottling house first floor from front to back of Bottle house still not fallen in and dryed out a bit from the Last time I brought another explosion proof Light cover home with me.

I hope once the weather gets cooler to get more pictures inside the big Bottle house if I can get my friends to let me in there for a picture shoot. Everything except for warehouses J & N was sealed tighly yesterday. I still love just being able to walk there and remember back to the days gone by

I stood there looking and like every time I go there it just does not seem possible that it is in such ruin. In my mind I remembered how busy it was the Last time I worked there back in late 1971 old 1941 Ford trucks running back and forth hauling Barrels to be dumped and the Bottling house running full tilt security driving around . And all my Friends there working that are for the most part now gone.

I could in Warehouse N just smell a faint smell of Whiskey also yesterday coming from the cement Floors!

Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    ===========================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-20-2009 at 02:45.

Guru

Dave, I know you left before the end but maybe it worked out for the best anyway....would it have been more difficult to stay there and see it change under your feet and then be locked out one day?

Disciple

Jono you are right if I would have stayed 8 more yrs I would have hated going there to find it locked up and gone and then going to bottling Anitfreeze because of the people that took over after Mr Neuman died the sadest day in History for Publicker / Kinsey / and Continental Distilling. That day in 1976 was a terrible day poor Mr Neuman went in the Hospital for some minor thing and ended up dying of Leagionairs Sickness caught at the Hospital.

When Mr Neuman died Kinsey / and Publicker and Continental Distilling died that fateful day!

I will never forget the day I heard that Kinsey was closing forever in 1986 after 94 yrs operating.
    Dave Z
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Old hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    __________________________________________________ ________

Disciple

When I get over to Kinsey I always just plain enjoy being there even though it is in Ruin. I also lament the Still being torn down when I think of all the great inside pictures I could have gotten. I also every time I go look in any building that is open for a Old Whiskey Thief as I promised Ludy I would look for one for him if any survived the people in there scraping everything.

I am amazed at at the stuff that was left behind mostly because this Guy that ownes it just walked away all those years ago. I think the only thing he cares about was using it as a write off.

It is sad to see glass broken every where and Kids smashing Old Bottles, in a way I am glad I did leave when I did as I would have been real mad working there when the people that forced their way on the Board changed everything to cause its end.

Its like seeing an Old Friend dying and there is nothing you can do. I will continue to look for Old Letter's and Papers when things are open to preserve for History.

And I still Hope to hear from my friend who was high in upper managment at Publicker Some one in his family was sick in May when I talked to him and I have not heard back anything I may try calling Ca this weekend to see if he is still there. The Place " Kinsey" is so big you never know what you might find there.

I hope yet this year to get the guys to let me in the Big Bottle house for a real big picture shoot of the place and will be calling them soon.

Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-22-2009 at 06:05.

Disciple

Today I took a couple of Pictures of some of the stuff I have saved from Kinsey in my years of going there!
    1. 48 Gal Barrel Head just says whiskey dated 1963
    2. !20 gal Barrel Head Corn Whiskey I think date is 1962
    3. Blue Print for new Bottle designed for Continental this bottle is still in use in Glass and Plastic by Distillers today!
    4. Explosion Proof Light Bulb Cover from Old Kinsey Bottle House
    5. Complete Explosion proof Light set up from Old Kinsey bottle house and green Hood from Dickie Phiefers old shop plus a old small explosion proof Light cover
    6. Old Dry Ice Sign from Continentals Therm Ice Plant in Phila found in O Building
    7. Old Wooden Whiskey Gauge glass tube broken out of it.
    8. Old Scoop used to get Char out of Dump troughs got this in Building P
    9. Old Barrel Head Inkers found at Plant a couple of years ago by me

Everytime I can find a way to carry something the mile and a 1/2 out of the Plant for History I do it I may be old but I want more then anything to preserve Kinsey's History.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-26-2009 at 15:57.

Disciple

Tonight being only 2 months away from turning 62 my mind takes me back to the good old days at Kinsey! Life was so dam simple then. I would drive 3 miles go in and ring in and just plain enjoy my day working! The days in the yard gang could be hard but nothing like the days I spent when I first got out of school doing construction.

Kinsey was my first real break in life and if not for my neighbor bugging me I would have gladly stayed there till the end. I got my first nice car working there, went to my first Phillies ball games with the good money I made there. And I loved working when I worked there I never can remember a job that was so much fun as Kinsey!

I still have a pay stub from Dec 1969 I cleared $101.20 and I have a copy on my desk and people keep saying to me at work wow you made Dam good money there as a Kid! I never relised how dam good the money was till my neighbor talked me into working for him what a mistake.

I can still in my mind see us standing at the time clock in the Old DSP-Pa. 12 waiting to ring out and toseing loafes of bread in the old fermenter filled with water to the fish in it.

I can still see Charlie burning rubber with that old Model A frame vehical with a 100 Horse power Flat Head Ford in it and Old Bonda shifting to second reaching under the seat of his 1951 Pylmouth to get his Pint and put it to his mouth and his neck jumping as he gulped down some whiskey.

As a young Man I was blessed to work at the best place in Pa when I worked at Kinsey. I am very Lucky to Have worked there as my first Good Job and to work where I do now for my Last job the ones in the middle were horrible.

I wish that everyone who reads this could just go back in time to Kinsey and just work there one day it was awesome those days and I was so Proud to work there. Our Whiskeys back then were the finest made and Old Hickory was the best selling Bourbon around back then.

To See Kinsey the way it is today is Heart breaking but it just as I have been passed by Time and Life. Things are changing and not for the good those days were so simple work go home Drink a little Bourbon have fun today everything is so Hard. I am very glad I lived when I did as today is just not at all like those good old days.

My Biggest Hope is that Everyone will be able to see what those gloryous days were like back when I was young from these memories of Mine!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

================================================== =====