Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 59 of 102 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Betty Jo,
    It is very interesting that your uncle Everett distilled at the Kinsey Distillery. Do you know the time frame when he was there? Dave mentioned in a prior message that some whiskey was made there for Michter's. Maybe he was there at that time.
    Doug

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I talked to Ludy about this at Lunch time today and he said many People came there to have Whiskey Distilled mostly Rye the year of the Ad Bettye Jo posted. And Ludy said many people from NY state came regularly to have Whiskey Distilled and Bottled. 1936 was Ludy's first Year at Kinsey working for Him. And he is to old to remember much more but is willing to Bet that Everett got together with Horace Landis master Distiller at Kinsey and got what he wanted in material grain and ran the still to make what it was he wanted to at Kinsey they did mostly Rye Whiskey then as the ad says. He said he remembered well the Old Ad Kinsey put out. And Mr Kinsey always followed the great Distillers of that day and Knew them all for the Most part himself being a master Disitller.

I am posting a Picture of Kinsey Stock from the Year 1937 here. It would be late 1939 that Jacob G Kinsey would lose his Distillery in Linfield on the River and go bankruped.

I would not be surpised if Mitchters had Whiskey Distilled for them at Kinsey then by Everett as he was one of the best and as they had a relationship with Continental in the later years. So Everett had a relationship with Mr Kinsey most likely and started it all.

Summer a year ago I spoke to a lady right near Mitchter and she had worked in their Boottling house she was an Old Lady and she said to me some of the Best Whiskey they sold came from Continental Distilling!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-22-2009 at 13:00.

Disciple

One of the most Ironic things about Kinsey is that after Continental Distilling bought Kinsey is the fact that Kinsey Blended Whiskey already famous became one of the most prolific Blended Whiskeys in sales and fame. It is Ironic because Mr Kinsey did not even like Blends he made them but his heart was always with Straight Ryes and he distilled mostly them.
    His Great nepew Al Landis my friend going to be 91 always tells me Pop ( Mr Kinsey ) did not Like Blends He always said a shot of Good Rye will keep you healthy and it is the best thing in the world to have one every day!
    AL told me on any given Morning at the same time Mr Kinsey would open his desk drawer get out His shot glass and Pint of Kinsey Pure Rye and pour one shot and drink it. Al said one time he said to Him if you do not get to carried away Whiskey will help you live allot longer and being born in 1858 He did great Living to be 94 in the year of 1952.

Al said Mr Kinsey would tell Him there are all kinds of Good things like Vitamins and minerals in a shot of Good Rye that help to keep you in good health well I don't know about that, I think he had a good idea about that shot of Good Kinsey Pure Rye Every day. Wish I had an Old Bottle of that!
    Dave Z
    ===========================================

Disciple

This Sunday at 11:00-Am I was able to go to the Plant with my two friends that keep things locked up and they went in the 1966 Bottling house to check to see if the doors were still locked inside.
    While they did that they gave me the run of the building for 25 minuets to take pictures. I was able to get about 106 usable pictures of Lines tanks pumps and setups.
    I was going to post some from a disc I made last night at work today. However my Computer is refusing to read the disc so I will have to do them at Home I guess.

Last Night I spoke to Sandy who worked for Continental Distilling and worked 20 years in the 1966 bottling house being in charge of many different things there and also in the warehouses and the Old Kinsey Bottle House. She has been checking out the pictures here and has given me the Exact date the Bottling House opened and It turns out I was right it did not go completly operational till 1966. She said the exact date it started was Sept 12,1966.

There were 11 Lines operating just as I have said. She has given me in just one phone call lots of Information that is very Interesting. And Sandy knows more about the Bottling houses then anyone now living so her help is really a great thing.

One very interesting thing was that she told me the last Line was Line F it was powered by an early Generation Computer and did Quart Bottles. She said it could by itself Fill and Label 20,000 Quart bottles a day. She said it was an amazing thing to watch it operate back then.

I also found out that Line A-1 did Pints, Line C did 1/2 pints and Line G did only Scotch. I got some great pictures with lines that say Chiller and a tank that says for Scotch only.

I had a great time in there and got lots of Line and pipe line pictures for those interested in how the Lines ran. I went up on one of the tank platforms and also got a couple of shots of the giant area where they stored the finished cases of whiskey. Like Sandy and Myself many people got real good jobs when the Bottling house opened in 1966 and Sandy's Father also worked For Publicker there all his life.

I also got some amazing stuff to create things with which I will post when they are done I assembled them yesterday and brought them to the Plant electrician this morning.

I got a complete sealed Explosion proof light housing in great shape and mounted an explosion proof switch on the bottom of it Paul is going to wire it like a lamp and My other friend in shipping is going to build a base for it and it will become a corner lamp next to my collection.

I also was able to get two double switch Boxes and and two pilot lights I put them together and when he is done the left switch will turn on the right light and the right switch will turn on the left one just for Fun.

I got the parts in Warehouse 38 the last one down, the Pilot Lights came from the second and third floors and these are about the last real nice looking ones left. The one switch and cover are from of the Old Bottling house in its memory and I will take a picture and post it when done as it looks just like some of the setups in the buildings.
    I will be posting some of my Pictures here and the biggest part of them will go on the Bottling house thread. I hope to get some up tonight.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-28-2009 at 06:33.

Hi Dave, I looked at the pix you downloaded today (50 of them) but now there is nothing here. What happened. Hope they are not lost. Am looking forward to seeing them plus the other 56 you said you have.

Disciple

Hi Sandy I will be posting the other 56 pictures tomorrow ran out of time at work and I can load them so much quicker there. I also have a picture of Times square with Kinsey on top of the Falling New years ball Building from the 1940's I bought a post card and got it today. I have dial up here at home so takes forever. I will post about 40 of them on the Bottle house thread tomorrow and the other 16 here so I can tell people where they are as they tend to look at this thread first! I also feel very sad read your note on the other Thread everytime I go there but if I can keep its memories going I will go there every week as I have some times. I also have taken people on walking tours through there just to tell them about the place.

I am sure it is way harder for you having been there 20 yrs but I always loved that place and my thoughts are always happy when I remember
    It is a very sad end to a place that was the Best Bottling Plant in the world back in 1966 and the Best Distilling Company to work for Too! You will never know how many times I have wished I would have stayed there and been there till the end but my Neighbor talked me into going where He was a boss it was a terrible job but when I tried to come back they did not need anyone.

Working at Kinsey was my first real job that paid good and I worked with good people. Glad to see you are checking my pictures out I have a total of between 1,300 and 1,400 on the three threads and I am always trying to find different interesting stuff to take pictures of. When I do I think in my mind of the days back then like you and imagin everyone is still there and all is well. I will be asking you from time to time about stuff that has to do with the bottling house as you know allot more about how things worked in the Bottle house.

It will always be the best Job I ever Had but I am lucky my last job the one I am at now is wonderful also.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old hickory America's Finest Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-28-2009 at 17:20.

Disciple

Well Here we go Here are the last 30 Pictures I was wrong on my count and had only 96 plus added a couple from another time I had never posted for a total on both threads of 100. I posted 50 pictures yesterday on the Bottling House thread, 20 Pictures on the Bottling house thread earler this morning at 6:00-Am. And these 30 Pictures now at 9:00-AM.

Sandy if you see these on both threads today I bet they will bring back some memories to you!

71.Tax seals laying on the wet floor in storage room
    72.Old Abandon Bottling Machine
    73. Looking at wall to room B starting point in Room A for Lines
    74. Looking up at Line above
    75.Sign to Room B
    76.More Bottling machines and line room B
    77.Hangers at wall to Room B locker room note small window on left side only light coming in.
    78.Laboratory Door in Bottling
    79.Inside the Lab
    80.Inside the Lab
    81.Lunch Room chairs stacked on tables
    82.Candy Machine as I found it open old candy rotted up in it
    83. Candy Machine after i closed the door to take this picture
    84. Hot Drink Machine
    85.Another Shot of the Lunch room
    86.& 87.Both sides of the lighting safety sign near Lunch room and Lab date on them is April 1976
    88.Old Time Computer in General office
    89.Picture of stacks of Never used bottles in Warehouse J
    90.More cases that were on pallets stored in Warehouse J falling over after 23 years
    91.more cases fallen over
    92.Raymond Forklift sitting abandon in warehouse Q the building with the Fire observation room on top
    93.Electric switch Control header in Warehouse #38 last one down shows how people have stole wire out of them
    94.looking back at Warehouse #38
    95.looking Down from Warehouse #38 Weeds and trees are taking the Place over
    96.One Last Shot leaving Sunday inside the old Guard shack
    97.Post Card I bought and just got yesterday of Kinsey Blended Whiskey Bill board on Times Square 1940's not many Distillers got to be on the building the New Years ball drops on
    98.Another shot I had never posted of the Old Computer in the General office in the Bottling house
    99.A shot I took a long time back and never posted of the Refridgerator in the Lunch room a lunch bag still waits to be eaten
    100.Last Winter Snow on the ground and no weeds looking down the Front Dock of the 1966 State Of Art Bottling House so long you can't see the end.

Doing this is a work of Love but It also kills me seeing the Place Like it is but I try to put my Mind back to the old days and Ludy in the Maintaince working Bud & Pappy working and having fun and Shorty, Charlie, Shanty and many Other dear friends.

PS one last Thing One of the Last of the Old timers and the last Living Maintaince Man in the Plant Frank Kurtus Passed on This past Friday at age 86. Frank was the man that Helped me with my Car when I first started at Kinsey the Alternator went coming to work and he fixed it for nothing for me as He said He knew I would have a hard time paying to get it fixed. I went to work and when work was over He had repaired it right in the Parking lot for me for free! God Rest His Soul He was like all those I have spoke of in these threads a Good man.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-29-2009 at 06:28.

Disciple

Here are three shots I took two years ago with my old Digital camera inside the Old Bottling house I never posted.
    1. walking toward Room A from room B passing the Lab and Lunch room
    2. The very Back most room of the Lab
    3.looking at the bulkhead wall from room B to Room A standing near the Lunch room.

More sad pictures when I post sometimes I leave some out thinking they are not good enough and then later I relise they are fine and post them so they are seen.

Be sure if you look at these to go back one to the other 30 I posted before these this morning and those I posted on the Bottle House thread yesterday and this morning early.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-29-2009 at 11:38.

Disciple

Well I knew it would happen some day and it did yesterday morning Tuesday at around 8:00-AM. I talked to my friends that keep Kinsey locked up as best they can last night at 8:30 PM and They told me that yesterday morning they saw smoke over there at 8:00-Am they called the Police and the police called the fire company as the younger people have done it again they lit up an old trailer that had some packs of Old Skol Vodka labels and some boxes of airline 10 pack cases for 1/10 mini bottles from Continental Distilling.

Back when I took Fricky and Phils Fan for a tour I made sure to get them and other people I have taken through a couple of things out of it but it sat there open and I knew some day the people who live for only destroying things would do this.

I am thankful that I got a nice amount of what was in it to save for History a yr and a 1/2 ago carrying it 1 1/2 miles out. But what a waste. Instead of taking some for history and having something neat people today would rather destroy I have seen this too many times and it makes me sick about them and the owner who never checks the place.

If it were not for the work of my friends who knows what would happen there and some times The owner does not even pay them anything but they like myself Love the place and try to save and protect it at their own expence many times.

Every time I can I help them lock things up even though it keeps me out also it keeps out people like those who started this Fire. They care about nothing but destroying things.

Oh Kinsey Kinsey What Has Happen to you
    When Si Neuman Died You Did Too!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fricky View Post
    Betty Jo,
    It is very interesting that your uncle Everett distilled at the Kinsey Distillery. Do you know the time frame when he was there? Dave mentioned in a prior message that some whiskey was made there for Michter's. Maybe he was there at that time.
    Doug
    I'll have to do some looking thru stuff...I'st there, his entire work history but finding it will take a little time.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky