Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 60 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Well Here we go Here are the last 30 Pictures I was wrong on my count and had only 96 plus added a couple from another time I had never posted for a total on both threads of 100. I posted 50 pictures yesterday on the Bottling House thread, 20 Pictures on the Bottling house thread earler this morning at 6:00-Am. And these 30 Pictures now at 9:00-AM.

Sandy if you see these on both threads today I bet they will bring back some memories to you!

71.Tax seals laying on the wet floor in storage room
    72.Old Abandon Bottling Machine
    73. Looking at wall to room B starting point in Room A for Lines
    74. Looking up at Line above
    75.Sign to Room B
    76.More Bottling machines and line room B
    77.Hangers at wall to Room B locker room note small window on left side only light coming in.
    78.Laboratory Door in Bottling
    79.Inside the Lab
    80.Inside the Lab
    81.Lunch Room chairs stacked on tables
    82.Candy Machine as I found it open old candy rotted up in it
    83. Candy Machine after i closed the door to take this picture
    84. Hot Drink Machine
    85.Another Shot of the Lunch room
    86.& 87.Both sides of the lighting safety sign near Lunch room and Lab date on them is April 1976
    88.Old Time Computer in General office
    89.Picture of stacks of Never used bottles in Warehouse J
    90.More cases that were on pallets stored in Warehouse J falling over after 23 years
    91.more cases fallen over
    92.Raymond Forklift sitting abandon in warehouse Q the building with the Fire observation room on top
    93.Electric switch Control header in Warehouse #38 last one down shows how people have stole wire out of them
    94.looking back at Warehouse #38
    95.looking Down from Warehouse #38 Weeds and trees are taking the Place over
    96.One Last Shot leaving Sunday inside the old Guard shack
    97.Post Card I bought and just got yesterday of Kinsey Blended Whiskey Bill board on Times Square 1940's not many Distillers got to be on the building the New Years ball drops on
    98.Another shot I had never posted of the Old Computer in the General office in the Bottling house
    99.A shot I took a long time back and never posted of the Refridgerator in the Lunch room a lunch bag still waits to be eaten
    100.Last Winter Snow on the ground and no weeds looking down the Front Dock of the 1966 State Of Art Bottling House so long you can't see the end.

Doing this is a work of Love but It also kills me seeing the Place Like it is but I try to put my Mind back to the old days and Ludy in the Maintaince working Bud & Pappy working and having fun and Shorty, Charlie, Shanty and many Other dear friends.

PS one last Thing One of the Last of the Old timers and the last Living Maintaince Man in the Plant Frank Kurtus Passed on This past Friday at age 86. Frank was the man that Helped me with my Car when I first started at Kinsey the Alternator went coming to work and he fixed it for nothing for me as He said He knew I would have a hard time paying to get it fixed. I went to work and when work was over He had repaired it right in the Parking lot for me for free! God Rest His Soul He was like all those I have spoke of in these threads a Good man.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    I have been told by Sandie that picture #76 the sixth one on page #587 was Line A-- F line the computer driven Line and It not only did everything but also cased the bottles to. Sandy told me it did everything from start to finish and that they all took turns and switched what line they worked on every day and were very happy when their turn came to be on line F even though they were busy all day it was a mostly trouble free day. Also Line F was completly setup and running when they started on Sept 12 1966. The big panels in the background gray one behind line on wall held the computer controls and the line had a built in packing unit that packed the bottles in the case at the end. It was built by a company in CT and an engineer from that company spent many months showing them all how to trouble shoot and run it. It was the most advanced Bottling line of its time and was very trouble free. Again another inovation from Publicker that was state of Art in its time. Thanks for the information Sandie it really helps!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-01-2009 at 05:59.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

This weekend I hope to get back into the Old Bottle house if possible I want to get some closeup shots of what is left of Line A--F and the control Boxes. I never tire of getting Pictures to show everyone how things operated back then.

Publicker Industries Had a policy of always using as much local Bussiness as they could to suppy them with plant repairs Equipment and needed supplies such as Bottles. Mr Neuman always thought that if you bought local it helped the area that you operated in allot and made things easier to get being they were close for supply. And what was good for the Local area was good for Publickers Bussiness to.

People tend to buy from a company that cares about its area of operation and the people living there. I think that was a very good way to operate and we never had much in the line of plant down time either because of that.
    What we needed we could get most times asap.
    Dave Z
    ==========================================
    Join The Swing To Kinsey

Disciple

Looking through my many Publicker/Continental Distilling company collections of stuff it amazes me how many things were made by local companies for promotional use .
    Example I have an old Hallers county Fair Bourbon Thermometer and When I got it I looked on the back and it was made by a company in Reading Pa 30 miles from the plant. My Old Hickory Clock was made by a company in Reading and many things were made locally for Continental in Phila it was Mr Neumans Policy to use as many local companies as He could and in Talking to my Friend who was in upper management He told me that Mr Neuman always thought that the best thing for a bussiness was to use Local companies for their needs.

For one thing you could aways get in touch with them quickly. Also there was a short distance for shipping lower cost, and you made friends localy which was good for Bussiness, in selling product and by buying locally you where keeping your area prosperous!

As I look back to my days there I remember it was allot of fun working those days. I made life long friends and no day was boring.
    As we'd go into fall I remember well in the yard gang: mowing the Lawns and triming everything up for that year one last time, mulching trees, unloading coal and sweeping all the buildings real good!
    Then we would get stuff together for snow cleaning and there were all kinds of odd jobes the later it got in the year because Trucks by the dozens and box cars were coming in to take our awsome spritis out for the coming Holiday season. There would lots of stuff to haul down to the dump down back broken glass ect.

We had alot of fun those busy days I was young and strong and could do whatever I needed to on the job and I liked all my boss's I had there very much. And we were treated very good by the company. Then when I went into the warehouses fall was the time we were most busy we would be dumping many barrels and days would fly by like minuets but it was still fun even though it was hard work. I remember bringing barrels down the barrel elevator by the hundreds loading them on the 1941 Ford Flat trucks to be taken to a warehouse with a dump trough one gang would pull them by serial number another gang downstairs would load them on the trucks. And a third gang would unload the trucks and dump them all day.

Looking back it seems so long ago 30 + years yet I remember so many things and look back with such good memories. I so offten wish I could travel back in time to just be there one more time and to be able to see friends long gone like: Shorty Tyson, Frank Kurtus,Lou Stiefy, Charlie Sipler burning out on his old Buggy coming out of the old gain drying building and so many more.
    It was the perfect job for me at my age back then and I lament the company being gone!
    -------------------------------------------------------

My Longest Job Driving truck for PPW. 8 years after I left Kinsey I had a shot of Old Hickory to Celabrate them going out of Bussiness! I truley wish I would have told my Neighbor no to the job that took me from Kinsey but when you are young you learn by your mistakes.
    And unlike my truck driving years my days at kinsey were and are some of the greatest times I ever had working!
    Dave Z
    ============================================
    It seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-06-2009 at 07:28.

Disciple

Everyone here that reads my stuff knows how I loved Kinsey and Continental Distilling; well last night I was able to buy something really Awesome to add to my collection about 2 years ago Bourbon Joe gave me something I had always dreamed of an Old Hickory Bourbon Clock.

It was made to look like a barrel Head and it is beautiful. It was one of our Promotion things for bars. I love it and I have wondered if there were any of our 1950's lighting Old Hickory Clocks as I wanted to get one somehow to put above the Barrel head one instead of my Schmidt's Clock well I found and got one yesterday and I will be getting it very soon. Here is a Picture of what it looks like it is even harder to find then the barrel one.

I feel very blessed to have found so many wonderful things for my collection found on line, at the plant a couple of years ago and those I collected many years ago! Add the Wonderful Barrel that Fricky did up for me and I am super Blessed and I have made as sure as I can that these things will go to a musuem some day when I am gone.

This clock was made in Ohio and is elcetric and lights up. We had so many neat promotion things and there are many I have never even seen. At night every now and then I will break out my limited stock of Old Hickory and sit and sip some and enjoy my Preserved for History collection.

When I was in school I had quite a few after school jobs and except for one they were horrible and when I got out early spring I went to work for a construction company about 3 miles from Kinsey.

One day one of the Boss's there was an old school friend whose family ran the company he said to me Dave Kinsey is hiring you will get paid so much better with so much less hard work you should apply and That great day in fall of 1966 I got hired at Kinsey.

It was so different to work for a class company that treated you with respect and paid so good -- Dec 9,1969 $101.20 a week clear!

it is my love for History I could not get enough in school and My love for the Old Place that has lead to my writtings here. And I want to thank those behind this wonderful site that make this site work and operate it.
    THANK YOU

It is a great privaledge to be able to record History here about Publicker/Continental Distilling and my Beloved Kinsey Distillery!

It was the people that I worked with there at 19 yrs old and the beauty of the place that made me love it.
    Dave Z
    ================================================
    It Seens All The Nicest People Drink old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificnet Bourbon

Disciple

Yesterday I took a walk around Kinsey and posted some pictures from home of The Black bottling tanks on the Bottling house thread, tonight I will post more there and some plant shots here.

I got good news on my Project of Making the Exposion Proof Light Bulb Housing into a lamp:It is coming along good My friend at work that built me the holder for my Explosion proof Telephone built me a stand so it can sit on a small table going into the Hall when it is done I will post a picture of it!
    I got 64 Pictures in the Plant yesterday and was able to get into Warehouse M where I found a couple of Mint Pilot lights for my newly designed Explosion Proof Light set: which will consist of two double boxes two different Switches and two of the rare frog eye type pilot lights the left switch will turn on the right light and right switch will turn on the left.

I will also post that when done I am going to have it in my work office.

I found a real nice Barrel head dated from Oct 3 1963 in warehouse M and have a couple of Pictures I took before I poped it out of the one good end of the barrel and I am going to get Fricky to glue it a bit and lacqur it like he did our Barrels.

I also got a small Explosion proof Light housing which I gave to the Limerick Township Historic Society to put with the rest of the Kinsey Stuff I have donated!
    If I can find one more Explosion proof Box I will make up a none powered set for the Historic society also. I am also trying to get them a nice Barrel to save for history.

Everytime I walk there I remember stuff from the old days and some times have the heck scared out of me. I was on the second floor of Warehouse M when suddenly I heard something flying in the open Second floor door I went down the stair well to look and it was young people shooting randomly with a Paint Ball gun made me jump up there. But once they went on I got my two Frog Eye Pilot lights from warehouse M they are the last two nices ones in the plant!

I hope next week to go back just to look for paper work again and whatever turns up that is neat. And I hope again in the future to get back in to the Bottling to get some shots in places I didn't.

I remebered once I was in warehouse M, that it was one of the ones I had gone in allot when I worked there and I have the 1940 wall phone that was mounted on the Elevator There in my Kitchen it works great!

At One time all the warehouses Had call boxes on the dock away from any fumes they have been missing ever since the place closed in 1986. It sure seems weird to me seeing all the High Trees and weeds there having been on the yard gang and having kept everything as perfect as could be.

It also is very Sad loving the Place and the company as I have but things change and places go away. This is all the more why I visit as long as I can. Each trip there is like a trip back Home and even though the People are not there I feel like in spirit they are saying Hi Dave glad to see you. If anyone on the site is ever in the area I will gladly give you a tour through what is left of Kinsey.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Monments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-12-2009 at 11:01.

Disciple

Here are some of the Plant and warehouse pictures taken on Sunday, it was a very nice day walking around there with lots of nice cool breezes coming from the river as I remember them back in the day when I worked there! Here are 12 Pictures in the plant and warehouses I will post the other 22 tomorrow night!
    1.Old Broken Barrel in Warehouse M
    2.,3. Broken Barrel with nice head which I removed and brought home for my collection. I will get my friend Fricky to Lacqer it. Dated filled !0-4-63 Dsp-pa-1 Distilled from Bourbon Mash!
    4.More Barrel staves in piles I also got two perfect Explosion proof Pilot lights for my new light setup here on the stair well.
    5.More Barrels second floor warehouse M
    6.Fork Lifts and charging unit warehouse N
    7.Looking up at back of O warehouse
    8.Barrel elevator warehouse N
    10.Water Distilling unit O building Mr Marshal ran this when I worked there
    11.another shot of the water distilling unit O building
    12.Looking down at warehouses weeds growing up high everywhere.

Everytime I go to Kinsey I hate leaving it is like leaving home not knowing if you will ever get back there!

It is like saying good by to an old friend you will never see again and I remember those great days of yesteryear working there at 19 years Old!

Dave Z
    -==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-12-2009 at 17:43.

Disciple

Here are the last 22 of my Plant pictures from Sunday!
    1.,2. Inside Warehouse J fallen full cases of new bottles
    3. Warehouse J in the sun
    4.Tank area of Warehouse P
    5.Scale sign on tank in warehouse P
    6.Gal sign on tank in warehouse P
    7.Another Tank in P building
    8.another tank in P
    9.Looking through fence to dump trough and tank area P
    10.Set of old Barrel rack rails that were never hauledd out after being cut P building
    11.looking from distance at Tanks and dump trough warehouse P
    12.Top of Tank in P warehouse
    13.Caffe Liquor labels laying on the second floor
    14. Old Bottling Machine Building P
    15.Another Old Bottling Machine P building
    16.Controls of the bottling machine
    17.18.19.20.21.22.Brand new cases never used in piles falling over after 23 yrs!
    There are so many tanks and Bottling Machines and never used cases of Bottles it is amazing and very Sad! Second to last Picture is pile of boxes that say Publicker Distillers last boxes used when the Continental name was gone and they were leaving the Drinking spirits bussiness used Publicker Distilling.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    America's Most magnificnet bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-13-2009 at 18:37.

Disciple

Last evening a Young friend of Mine that works at the place I buy Beer gave me something awesome a full Pint of Continental Distilling Old treasure 12 yr Old blended in Belgium whiskey it states on the Bottle every drop of this Whiskey is at least 12 yrs old! It was in his fathers bar and his dad did not want it also a full bottle of Our Famous Embassy Club Canadian he gave me my choice of either one and I took the Old Treasure! The Bottle date is 67 for 1967 which means I was just 20 when it was filled in the 1966 bottle house and working there.

It was shipped over on one of our 10 Ocean liners and bottled in Linfield on this Bottle label the early ones were done in Phila like the old 1/2 pint empty one Ludy gave me.

This is one I have dreamed of trying and I have never seen any for sale anywhere. There is a story behind this bottle as My Friend lives right across from where my old Friend John that worked at kinsey did so It could well be possible it came home with John from work.

And when in the last 20 yrs of his life: as John told me many yrs ago when I met him at the doctors he could not handle drinking and control himself and completely quit and may have given it to my friends father as they have no clues where the bottles came from except they are Vintage!

I will raise a toast to John when I taste it He lived to be in his 80's and did not drink for over 20 yrs when I saw him and I was so glad to see he was ok then which was about 7 yrs ago.

Sadly both his Kids died long before him and only his wife is still living!

It was John I would get Whiskey for and help out of the Plant during the years I worked in the warehouse. I always tried to keep him from drinking to much and it was John who always gave me his great Lunches as he never ate his lunch back then.

I am sick right now with a sinus infection and starting a new Ulcer Med as my old one quit and made me sick with stomach pain so when my new one kicks in and I can taste I will be tasting it!

I have no doubt that it is something special as we never imported stuff unless it was really good espcially Straight Whiskey!

Question is there anyone out there that reads here that remembers Old treasure 12 yr old Whiskey?

Once again I am brought back to some memories of the old days at Kinsey and the many people I worked with as a young 19 year old Just out of School.

I will post a picture of the bottle tonight most likely. For the most part those years were wonderful for me and I wish everyone who reads these stories could have worked there just for a bit to see what a great company it was and what a great place it was!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All the nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-15-2009 at 07:17.

Disciple

Well my Old Hickory Bourbon clock came into work by UPS today and here are two pictures of it with the Barrel one Bourbon Joe gave me and one with some of My Kinsey / Continental Distilling Collection! I have tried to get whatever I can for History from Continental Distilling and have it written in my will that it all must go to Museums for History so every time I find something it is more perserved for Company History and I am getting there!.

1.Old hickory Clock top
    Old Hickory Barrel Clock given me by Bourbon Joe it runs wonderful all I had to do was rewire it. Thanks again Joe it was wonderful of you to give me it!
    2. Pic clocks with my Framed Tax Stickers signs from Explosion Proof Warehouse P & My Framed and matted Mash bill from Mar 1951 and framed Picture of Kinsey in 1936. Also below the clocks my Hallers County Fair thermometer. And above the bottles my Original never cancelled Kinsey Stock Cert!

These things are a joy to me as they speak of the old days and my Friends Long gone and help to tell the story of a great Company that is no more. I forgot to take a picture of my Bottle of Old Treasure and will do that tomorrow and post it I have not tried it yet as still very sick with Asthma and now taking Antibiotics for my Sinus infection which is going into my chest so just trying to get better.

It looks like we are to have nothing but heavy rain this weekend so looks like I won't get to Kinsey this weekend but as soon as I can will get back there for more pictures and whatever turns up.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 10-16-2009 at 18:17.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Man, those old barrels and barrel staves would make for some great kindlin'! You'd have a rip roarin' fire going in seconds, I bet. Dave, you should load those up, bundle them, and sell them. Do you know how much good fatwood sells for these days?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama