Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Thanks Dave, clearly they did a second distillation, so that answers my question. Thanks again for asking them. Maybe it was the cypress vats that imparted that extra quality!

Gary

Guru

Dave, your photos always bring to mind the power of nature, decay, nostalgia, faded beauty, time....some poetic quotes:

"It's amazing how quickly nature consumes human places after we turn our backs on them. Life is a hungry thing."
    Scott Westerfeld, Peeps, 2005

"Nature is wont to hide herself."
    Heraclitus

Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition.
    Sir William Osler

“O Solitude! If I must with thee dwell, Let it not be among the jumbled heap of murky buildings”
    John Keats quotes (English Romantic Poet. 1795-1821)

“Buildings, too, are children of Earth and Sun.”
    Frank Lloyd Wright

"I heard the old, old, men say 'all that's beautiful drifts away, like the waters.'
    William Butler Yeats

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here I am with a blast from the past while walking around Kinsey I went into O building because it was ripped open. I went to the Government Office and upstairs looking on the floor I saw a torn envelope addressed to Bill Theodoisis who was before he died Plant Manager and a very Nice man who died right after I started there of a Heart atack.
    My first picture is what I found in the envelope
    1. An Old Bottle Machine sits on the dock of the 1966 Bottle House.
    2. A cut out from a paper about the Sales people at Continental,Kinsey and Hallers getting together on June 12 1950 to talk about their ideas for that year. Note the bottles of product in the cut out. Mr Theodosis is 5th from the left

3.& 4. On the 23rd of Nov the day before the holiday my friends from sales at work Jim & Doris came down and asked me to hang around at lunch because they had to get something out. I believed them and waited.
    at 11:39 they called me to come to my car there they gave me a professionaly framed set of Tax strips and the pictures of my barrel from begining to end. I had given my friend Jim the pictures and strips as a gift and they turned around and paid to have them professionaly framed and matted as a surprise for me I was in awe
    I had given these to Jim as a gift in the summer and Him and the Lady in Sales had made them into a Thankgiving Surprise.
    These are Pictures of them hanging proudly at home.

I am very lucky to work with such great people as I do where I work now!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-29-2009 at 18:48.

Disciple

When you get into your sixties you do allot of thinking back and I must say the times back in 1966 through 1971 working at Kinsey were some of the Best of times. People cared more and we did not at all mind working hard for the good money we made at Kinsey working for Continental Distilling. I have yet to talk to anyone who did not love working there.

You also had allot of pride in the products we made and how many we made. All our brands were very succesful and were enjoyed world wide! And Our Old Hickory in my mind was the Best Straight Bourbon around Back then.

It is hard to relise that all our products are Long gone having worked there and Knowing that Line A-F-1 alone could do 40,000 bottles a day. Yet they are gone and The most Prolihic Distiller of those Times is long gone to. It was like People, it got sick once Mr Neuman was gone and never recovered and died. A few of our brands are still around such as Philadelphia Blended but it is but a shadow of what it was when we made it.

I can sit here and in my Mind there I am going down in the tunnel below the still for break. Having a coffee and a sandwich and talking with Milt Shantz about his Ponies or giving Bookie some money to put on the Horses. Or maybe in Warehouse N playing dice with the guys it was all fun and days were sunny and filled with excitment back then.

Now Kinsey sits and rots and Continental / Publicker Industries is no more but what it was will always fill me with pride that I was a part of it and that I can still tell people about it and those great days of Old Hickory and Kinsey Silver.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-03-2009 at 17:04.

Disciple

I have not been feeling so good for the Last week or so but I am back now and remembering what it was like in real cold weather at Kinsey you wore your Heavy coat inside the warehouses and if you were on the Yard gang coal would be coming in by the rail car Load! Getting it out was not as easy as you would think as it froze to the sides of the car which meant climbing up and in it and hitting it with a shovel to get it loose enough to run out the bottom.

We would also be putting down salt if it snowed and plowing. Winter in the Gang was hard work but I was young and I emjoyed it anyway. I have not been to the Plant for a couple of weeks and May get there the afternoon of Christmas day. I went there last year on christmas day for a walk. I just got 3 pairs of Old Hickory Table counter top signs on the web to add to my collection and here is the picture from the web of one of the 3. I hope to write more now that I am feeling better and having some time work has been very busy which is a good thing.

I also have something I want to get at the plant to save for History very soon. I Just saw a another Old Friend from Kinsey Passed on Michael Zueno he was 80 yrs old and I did not know he was still living. In the Paper it says He was a truck Driver At Continenal Distillery Linfield for 8 years retiring in 1982.

Mike was the Guy we counted on to take us to the break room and back to our job and also to the Time clock at night. He drove the Old 1953 Dodge Flat bed and hauled Barrels when we were not going to break or warehouses or the timeclock. It was a green flat bed with a six in it and green wooden sides and we would climb on the back to ride to break and the time clock plus sometimes if the warehouse we were going was a far distance.

It was cold walking around the Plant in the winter with the air from the river coming up!
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-18-2009 at 09:48.

Guru

Dave....some Christmas 1969 videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP5yQlo8C4

The old metal table top hockey game...no video games then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6g7u...eature=channel

Sound recording was still rare in those days....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHeJW...eature=related

I keeping looking for a bottle of whiskey......

Disciple

On my trip to Kinsey today I also found some neat paper work I found an old Bell yellow bussiness pages telephone book from 1970 and with my Flashlight I looked up Distillers and I found this page which I have blown up to be readable.
    1. Yellow Pages Distillers note not only are our Numbers for Phila in there but also some by brand also and also other Famous Distillers also!
    2. Old Blue print for 3-22-62 for Charter Oak Bourbon 4/5 Bourbon case Box
    3. Old Blue Print for Charter Oak 2-28-65 Quart case Box
    Finding things like this is exciting to me they were damp so I dryed them trimed them and scaned them into my Computer I will now put them in one of my many Binders of Paper work to save for History.
    I am going to keep looking for this type of thing as long as I can. Everything is either wet or dirty so it takes time and efort to clean them carefully and save them. I have posted some Bottle house pictures on the Bottle house thread also! I took 64 Pictures today.
    Dave Z
    ============================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

Something Special is now residing in my Garage The 1966 Continental Distilling Bottling House Time Clock is now at Kinsey West my place waiting to have some cleanup and mini restoring done to it! It seems the Mice lived there for a bit but other then that it is ok and that is all cleaned out now.

When the weather gets better right now 20's with wind chill of 2 above it will wait but at least it will not be there for the younger people to break or destroy. I will post a picture of it when the weather warms up.

I also found two types of Spirits Hydrometers made in the early 1970's in Phila and saved them from being smashed! And a list of whiskey inventory for 1978 with brand names which I will post soon. I am always looking to preserve anything I can from there.

Just a note looking at my old time papers from the Plant I found out that the ocean liners we had 10 were called Paco Lines and during war times we also did stuff for the Army with them.

In just peeking at the Inventory list of the late 1970's I saw the old American Distilling brands we had such as Stillbrook and Bourbon Supreme.

I am now back to work so looking for things to save is over for now. I will be talking soon about the brands on the List and the sad ruin the place is in.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 01-04-2010 at 04:12.

Disciple

I was visting my Friends who own a Beer distributership and They told me Look over on the counter and there stood a full 4/5 Quart 1950's Kinsey 8 yr blended whisky. I said wow where did you get that and they told me the young fellow that works there got it from his uncle who gave it to his dad and He brought the bottle of Kinsey Silver there to give to me

Also Last Week on Line I saw a pre Pro Tax stamp for sale on Line it is dated in ink 3-12-04 which means it was a tax sticker from what I see from pre prohibition. On it is a picture of someone called Fairchile so anyone who knows about this type of tax stcker please reply! I am going to post some pictures of my Bottle and a closeup of the Green $3000 tax sticker and hope to hear from anyone who knows alot about this type of tax sticker.
    Pictures 1 through 3 are of my Full 4/5 Bottle of Kinsey Silver 80 proof I can tell by the type of Cap it is a late 1950's bottle
    Picture 4 is the rare tax sticker stamped Kinsey Distillery, My Pre pro wooden whisky case from Kinsey has this type of sticker on its back side.

I will be back to writting regularly again I have been sick but felling much better now.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Even as I write about Kinsey there are people who know only how to destroy it and an Owner who is in my Mind a really Rotten Person. He bought it to let it rot for loss claiming and now it just sits. I hope I never meet Him. When I think back to how good a condition the Place was when he bought it in 1982 everything still working well and He shuts everything off after his high lease Prices finish Publicker off, lets people steal all the wiring so nothing can be powered up and just pays a fine now and then and leaves it rot. But it can be expected of him as He is not new to doing rotten things of this type, I looked his name up one time on the web and read some of the Rotten things he has done in his life in the Ny Papers.

What it all goes down to is some people are takers and some people are givers and He is a taker. If only some one Good had bought the Plant from Publicker and worked with them on the lease back of parts of the Plant had spent some money putting Elevators in the warehouses in place of the barrel ones I truley think Publicker might have made it in the Home products and antifreeze Bussiness. The big mistake was selling it to this person! They should have kept on looking for people to lease parts to they almost had a couple of warehouses leased to Oscar Mayer to be made into frozen & refrigerated food lockers I found the paper work but at the Last minute Oscar Mayer pulled out and the rest is sad History.

Everytime I go to Kinsey My Heart is sad but on the positve side I remember so many things from the past names and happenings just come back to me.

Forgive me for blowing off a bit of steam built up from seeing Kinsey in such sad shape since fall 1986.

I wish everyone could have had the great experiance I had working for Publicker Industries for my Personal Hero Si Neuman those were the days.

And Thankfully I can still walk there from time to time and relive the past!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon