Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 67 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Jono those are just a few of many old papers I will be posting soon. Everything they wanted to do they had to talk and write to the BATF and ask first and wait to hear. Today I am posting some more of the Publicker Phila pictures Butch has sent me and they are

1. The Gin room at the Snyder Ave Distillery about 1934.
    2. Fermentation Tanks at Snyder Ave 1939
    3. Chemist checking Temps At the Snyder Avenue Distiller
    4. Young Lady year 1935 Checking Quality ( Quality Control )
    5. Swinging Fermentation Tanks in 1936 Snyder Ave.

To me these are just awesome having worked for Publicker and never having seen the Big plant in Phila. Also I was inlighten to the fact that before the Bigler Street Bottle house there was an old one that was at Snyder Ave. It was there first, then Bigler and finally The Big one at Kinsey in 1966. I also have something neat to post the next time.
    Butch sent me some pictures of a couple of Old Publicker Buildings still standing in Phila he took pictures of. They are being used for something else now and I will post them here soon.

Butch said the old Gin room was shut down in the 1960's, also the fermentation tanks were not being used they had another set somewhere in the plant he said he walked through that room at least a thousand times in his years there. He is going to try and find a picture of the Famous Old Hickory Neon Sign that you would always see going over the Walt Whitman Bridge.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-01-2010 at 03:53.

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I see the makings of a company history book for sale in the local museum etc.

Disciple

Today I am thinking about our top 3 Bourbon Brands.
    1. Old Hickory 80,86, and BIB
    2. County Fair Straight BIB 100 proof
    3. Charter Oak 80, 86 and BIB.

These were the finest Bourbons you could buy back in those days and at amazingly low prices even for then. One of our goals was to always price even Our Best Old Hickory BIB and 20 yr old anivarsary Old Hickory at a price the regular person could afford. Which most likely is why it so hard to find any Old Bottles. It was so good and people could afford it so they bought and drank it all up.

It is now 31 years since we made Old Hickory and I have my doubts I will ever find anymore I still have a little bit of 86- proof 10 yr old but it may be the last I ever drink. So if you find some by luck enjoy it because you will be drinking the finest Bourbon money can buy for flavor and quality.

Our Products till Mr Neuman died were the best at the right price Something He belived in very much a quality product at a price people could afford.

Our County Fair which I have some old BIB 100 of is out of this world good but very differant from Old Hickory they each had their own Mash Bills and had very differant Flavor profiles.

I never Had Our Charter Oak Boubons but from what I have been told it had its own profile too, which was shared I think with our Doughertys Bourbons.

We had at least 150 brands of Spirits and they were all well made and to suit all types of Tastes. For those who are to young I wish you could have had some of our Stuff. To those who did you enjoyed some fine whiskey back in the day!
    Dave Z
    ========-----------============----------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-17-2010 at 06:32.

Disciple

Well here I am back on again been having some asthma trouble with the high heat here and also having gone two days this weekend to the Antique truck show near here lots of Vintage semi's.

I am as I write I am having shot of the last of my Old Hickory 86 Proof 10 yr Bourbon and as always it is wonderful. I some times get e mails from people who have found some vintage Old hickory and they always love it!

Our Whiskey's were some of the Best ever made back in the day. They just have a flavor that is so differant from todays products. I always loved the smell going into the warehouses and also the smell in the air from the Big bottle House. Last Night I drank some of Our Famous back in the day Peanut Lolita Liquor mixed with Scotch to make our drink called an Endinburg Exspress.

All these years and I still feel sad and can hardly believe what has Happen to Kinsey. I am hoping next month to meet my friend who was high up boss for Publicker. I remember on hot days like today we would stay in the the warehouses and roll dice I can remember going from .50 to $50. only to lose it all back!

The warehouses were wonderful in the heat nice and cool with that wonderful aging Whiskey smell. Every now and then someone from the bottle House would get us new 1/2 Pint flasks to fill from the barrels.

Working for Continental was great and I love the old Place so writting is a work of Love for the Place place. Kinsey was if not the Most beautiful Distillery ever one of the top 2 or 3.

No weeds ever grew in the grass and we had beautiful flowers beds it was a real show place to work. At the time I worked there we belonged to the Old AFL CIO Brewery workers Union and the Union and the Company had a great relationship back in those days. We all worked toward making the best Whiskeys ever made. I will be going back to Kinsey for more Pictures when the weather cools down. There is always something new to take pictures of. When I am there I remember Shorty Tyson ( Harrison Tyson ) Eagle Beak ( Warren Eschbach ), and many other old long gone friends there.
    Dave Z
    ================================================

Disciple

This is one of my Favorite memories of Working at Kinsey? I well remember watching the Old timers marking out where they hid their Pints of Whiskey in differant warehouses so they could always have a shot when they wanted it.

Some guys would hide it inbetween the racks and count how many steps to the rack they hid it in. Some guys would stick them inbetween the housings for the heating and cooling systems in the warehouses.

Anywhere they could stick one they did and marked somewhere the place they put it. And nothing would get them more mad then if someone found it and took it or if somehow they forgot where it was.

Every Morning Old Bonda would come in early and fill bottles and then put some in differant places and he always had some under the seat of his 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook.
    Bonda was the traffic director at Kinsey and He only got his whiskeys from the Old Warehouses, He knew where the very best stuff was and you would see him early every morning filling his bottles.

One time many years back not I found two 1/2 Pints of Good Scotch in the wall of one of the Old fallen down buildings and I drank one and still have one.

I gave my friend JD in marketing a shot and a 1/2 of the Last of My Old Hickory 86 Proof. He saved it for Fathers day and told me today it was the best Whiskey He ever had being a young guy! He also said He has his Molls friends in other states looking in old time stores in other cities for more!

I say it now and always will to Me Old Hickory was one of the all time Best Bourbons ever made.

I was very Lucky when I was young to work for Continental And proud of Our Products.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-24-2010 at 12:41.

Guru

Dave, time to start using an eye dropper for the Old Hickory!

Disciple

Jono I always seem to find some Old Hickory when all seems lost! It has been too hot to go to Kinsey and we have not had any rain for almost 2 months here. But I am today remembering all the old cars and trucks we had driving around at Kinsey.

If you had an old worn out car or truck that still ran ok Kinsey would buy it as the place was so big you needed one to get from one end to the other. All company men had a junker to drive.

I remember we had 3 old 1941 Ford Flat trucks, Bonda had a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook, Mike Zuno drove a 1953 Dodge Truck to take us from warehouse to warehouse. There was an old 1954 Caddie with half the body cut off made into a pickup.

There also was an old Desoto and the Yard gangs 1946 Blue ford Pickup.

Cars and trucks were running around continueously. They filled up next to the back of the old maintaince barn out front behind the Old Kinsey bottle house there was a Sinclair Dino Pump.

When we hauled the racks we cut out of the Warehouses we used an old farm wagon and an old Ford 8-N tractor.

It was fun just seeing all the old cars and trucks running around. Days went fast you no sooner started and you were out of time. The cool breezes from the river made the air nice and the warehouses were always cool.

The Guards had an old Jeep they would do their rounds in and there were lights all around the plant for them at night. To this day I still find myself looking for lights at night when I go past the plant in the dark hours.

I can still remember the Front water tower lit up at night saying Continental Distilling Linfield Pa Division of Publicker Ind.

If you worked there when I did you would understand the last thing any of us ever thought was the the company would be gone. People who lived near Kinsey loved the place because it was kept perfect and many people in Linfield lived near the plant and walked to work. When I got my job in fall 1966 I was thrilled at the chance. Kinsey Distillery paid well and they were good neighbors to the people who lived in Linfield.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ========
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

Guru

Dave, as I asked on another thread re KY distillers....were there any / many minority employees at Kinsey? Just curious, it is an industry that seems to have always been white..for understandable historical development reasons and I assume sometimes location. Maybe the Philly location had more than where you worked (not knowing if there were many African Americans in your area of PA).

Disciple

Here are some of the shots from both camera's in warehouse R from Saturday.

1. The Main switch box on the first floor stair well warehouse R
    2. The same box at home for restoring in color.
    3. Barrel filler from warehouse O saved from vandels destroying it by me when I found it loose.
    4. Kulov Vodka boxes never used rotting
    5. Piles of Brand new brand boxes never used falling down and an old B-61 mack truck motor from one of the company trucks motors have had parts stolen from through the years.
    6. Sandie that woorked in the bottling house must have wrote here when she was in the warehouses in 1981 hope she see's this. Was on the front barrel elevator in warehouse R
    7. Warehouse R outside in Black and white
    8. Brand new Kinsey Whiskey Cases never used.
    9. Haller's Slo Gin cases all filled with never used brand new bottles
    10.Roll door at back of R warehouse across from Back Elevator sign says
    DSP-Pa.12 room G
    11. Back Elevator
    12. cases that say Publicker Distiller's they used this name at the end of making spirits late 1970's.
    13&14. Front and back of a Bourbon Supreme case Continental Distilling owned the Bourbon Supreme brand and many other American Distilling brands after American Distilling went to making Gasohol!

Every time I go to Kinsey I try my best to get you good shots to show how it was back in the day. It is my Hope I have captured the spirit of Kinsey/Continental Distilling/ and Publicker on these Pictures and what a joy it was to work for them.
    Dave Z.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Yes, Dave, I sure do remember very well writing my name on the wall. I was working with the guys in the warehouse dumping barrels. The whiskey had been sold and we were getting it ready ship to the customers. That one pix, alone, brought back many memories. When we were bottling the cordials in "Happy House" I do not remember doing much of the blackberry but I remember the Slo Gin. There were more bottles leaving the premises in private cars than there were bottles in cases. It was very good stuff!! Thanks for the memories.