Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 68 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Glad you saw that Sandie and the other pictures not too many of us Kinsey workers around anymore.
    here are 11 more pictures in Black & White of the bottle House and the plant.
    1. Walking into Kinsey 3 weeks ago
    2. The Old Bottling House Lunch Room chairs stacked on tables waiting to come down for a day that never came to be
    3. Whiskey Heater on Back Platform
    4. This is an Old Bottle Blowing machine sitting in Room A once the bottles left the room they traveled into room B to be filled, Labeled and packaged. This machine cleaned bottles before they were filled
    5. & 6. The Old Safey Quality sign in front of the Lab and Lunch room.
    7.Old Vending Machine in Bottle House Lunch room
    8. Old Electric Motors and Line back tank area
    9. & 10. Water Surge Tanks on back Tank Platform
    11. Cases of 1/10 Inver House Mini Bottles / Old 750 ml Lolita Liquor Bottles sitting on top of some cases.

Heres some more memory Pictures for you Sandie, as I am sure the area's in the Bottle House are more known to you then they are to me since all the years you worked in there.

When I get there I always try my best to capture what it was like to be there back in the day and how sad it is today.

I sadly never had the Continental Blackberry Brandy or the Slo Gin but I have been told by some others that the Blackberry Brandy was the best ever made and I know my Peanut Liquor is the best tasting Liqour I ever drank.

What a shame that things went the way they did, If Only Mr Neuman had not died so suddenly who knows the place might still be operating and even have a new DSP-pa-12 there. There were many stories about that happening when I worked there. Stories that they would close the spirits still in Phila and build a new one in Linfield.

Sadly Life takes turns you do not expect and places like Kinsey Die just like People do.
    But It Will Stay In My Heart as Long as I am around
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Best Old Fashioneds Are, You'll Find
    The Mellow, Made With Kinsey Kind!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-20-2010 at 10:33.

Disciple

Good news on my quest to post as much as I can about Publicker. The man I have been waiting to meet who worked most of his life at Publicker as a top person has arrived in Pa from Ca. and I am waiting to meet with him very soon. I also have some more information that will be coming my way from someone who's Father worked for Publicker for 27 years and hope to get Pictures and much insight into the Company from other people. This is a most exciting time for me and I will ask all I can about All the plants and historic distilling things I can get. I also have a few more pictures I can post and if it rains Sunday I may get to Kinsey this weekend. They are calling for a chance of rain.

One of the top things I want to find out about is the mid 1940's when they were building the explosion proof warehouses and the top guy knows a lot about that!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Virtuoso

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Great news, Dave. This trip down memory lane is always a treat. Looking forward to hearing what you've learned.

Cheers!

Disciple

I resently saw something that brought back tons of memories to me, a brass barrel labeling Head stencil. I also may end up owning it which would be a dream come true to me.

The one I saw was DSP-Pa-1 Continental Distilling and the fill date was 1945. I remember well stenciling the barrel heads with indelabel ink. what a mess, you had better do as told and wear gloves or your hands would end up black ink colored.

We used two types of of brushes to ink the heads a round brisol one and a rolling one. What a night mare doing hundreds of barrels this way you would pour the ink into the handle of the brush and screw the cap on and alot of time the dam thing would leak ink all over the place, but the stencils for the most part worked great. Being they were metal their weight helped them stay in place.

When done you would have information written that would last such as on mine and Frickys Barrels which has the original labeling under 4 coats of schlack.

It was not one of the jobs I liked but I loved the old Brass stencils!

I also resently saw a bottle of Charter Oak Blended Bourbon it was a blend of different years of aging Bourbons. I hope to get that also.

When we were filling barrels at O building we would have a Government Man there with us and as soon as the barrel was filled it was bunged and flipped up and the top head was labeled with one of these brass Head stencils.

Then it would be hauled by one of the old 1941 Ford flat trucks to one of the explosion proof Warehouses to be put in the racks to age!

That was hard work and many times there were a couple of people doing each job. The best part was the awesome whiskey smell when doing this. We had around 3 sets of hoses with gasoline type handles like the one I posted a picture of on one of the threads not long ago.

All the barrels were done in lot numbers with small stencils after the big stenciling was done.

Then the barrels would be racked so they could sleep and age to be one of our Whiskys. County Fair Had 10 and 4 year, and Old Hickory had 6 yr,10 yr. and 20 year. Each of these two Brands had their own mash bill not used by any of our other brands. In speaking to my Friend from the company he told me our 380 gallon Whiskey barrels were written about in fortune 500 magazine back in the day.

I soon hope to have more pictures and alot of interesting Info abput Continental Distilling.
    ( The Best Old fashioneds Are, You'll Find The mellow, made With Kinsey Kind!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-04-2010 at 11:00.

Guru

No spray painting of the stencil info?

Disciple

Jono No paint what so ever, we used Jet Black India Indelible Ink from metal cans we poured it into the end of the brush and screwed a cap on and painted through the stencil onto the barrel. If you saw the pictures of Fricky and my Barrels the writting is done in that original India Ink it was so durable that when we sent used Barrels to scotland to have them filled with Scotch, we had to brush over the writting with heavy white paint before they were bundled and sent there!

The Ink just most times did not wear off unless the Head sat out in the rain for years!

Also it was hell to get off your hands you had to use Gas or thinner to try and get it off if it got on your hands. We were given gloves to use and we used them. Somewhere back I put a picture of the brushes but I may just post a new one so everyone can see. That Ink was as Black as anything I ever saw and boy did it show up good if your Stencil was good. At the end they tried some heavy cardboard stencils but they did not last so for the most part we used the old hand made Brass ones we made there with a machine to make them as we filled them.

Sometimes they would paint the head white or Gray then stencil but for the most part it was Ink on wood. When we used the brass stencils the writting was as good as it gets easily read.
    Dave z
    =================================================
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

On Monday Morning I got a chance to do something I have wanted to do for 2 years. I went with My Friend who was a high up exc with Publicker over to meet Ludy and Al Landis and we Had a great time.

They were talking Jake Kinsey to him while I sat and just listened to the stories. Al was talking about His Dad going to Scotland for Si Neuman to set up Stills and Ludy was telling him about talking to Si Neuman back in the old days at the Bottle House.

We talked about our products and came to the conclusion that Our County Fair BIB was one of the finest Bourbons ever made, put in the Old Hickory and you had a pair of greatest drinking bourbons ever made.

We all talked about how lovely the place looked back in the day and Ludy talked about what It was like keeping all the bottle Lines going back then.
    We talked about the 4 deep wells at Kinsey one being the deepest well in our area.
    We even talked about Mr Marshel distilling water at O building to send down to the bottle house.
    And None of us can figuer what the guy that owns the place was thinking when he shut it down and walked away.
    I hope to make many notes from my friend about the history of the company and will post them here as I get them.
    Dave Z
    ==============================================
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Well I got something from Continental today I have always wanted, my friend who was a top person in the company gave me a Brass Barrel stencil from 1945. It is brass with a piece fitted on it of steel I do not know why. It has turned black from the many times it was used in 1945 with the India Ink.

Below is picture of it. It has No. 1 Phila at the top which was the plant in Phila at the bottom it has trans NO. 10 pa which was the Kinsey site so the whiskey was maybe distilled at Kinsey in the #10 Rye Barn since it is Rye Whiskey. This Stencil has no month you would write in the Month and filling date after the word Filled on the stencil and the Ser No After the words SER A on the big stencil for the number and lot after the it with small dated for that day cardboard Stenciles one for day month, and one for serial no.after you used the big stencil to put its info on.

This is the first one of these I have seen since 1971 and I think I will hang it on the wall through the Big D in word distilling on top.

As I get pictures or get anything I will post here first before anywhere.
    This one may have broke and they fixed it with the piece of metal but it is in great shape for 65 years old.

I am to say the least thrilled to have this for History and will keep it the way it is rather then clean the brass to preserve its history. I am still waiting to see some Plant pictures and will be seeing my friend on my day off tomorrow.

America's Most Magnificent Bouron
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-15-2010 at 14:05.

Virtuoso

Great stuff, Dave, thanks for posting this.

Cheers to you!!

Disciple

Great to hear from you Luna I will be posting lots of things I hope soon. I did get the exact Location of the World wide head Quarters of Publicker in Phila and have a picture of the 16 floor built in 1916 Building.
    Mr Neuman had his offices on the whole top floor back then and Harry Publicker when He was Living had an office up there also.

For those who get down to Phila the office was at 1429 Walnut street just at an angle to what was the Old Bellview Stratford Hotel.
    Here is a Picture of it.

This was where they ran the company till 1986 when it all ended sadly.

The second Picture is Of 1520 Locust Street where Jake Kinsey Had his Philadelphia Office till he went bankrupt in fall 1939 and the plant was sold to Continental Distilling in a silent Auction.

I hope to have lots of stuff to post very soon and I am very thankful to be able to find all kinds of things out about the company from my friend.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-20-2010 at 10:53.