Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 73 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Today I want to post 4 more old Continental / Publicker pictures given to me by my Friend Butch. I think the book is from the mid 1930's will ask Butch and post the time period.
    1. A picture of Harry Publicker scaned by Butch from a book that had all Publicker products on it bought by my friend Butch who worked for Publicker for 10 yrs on E Bay.
    2. The Book, it has every Brand Of stuff the Company made!
    3. 3 Women at a hearing for being Caught stealing Whiskey from the Phila Bottle House. From news paper
    4. Other people going to the hearing for being caught stealing Whiskey at the Phila plant. from news paper
    5. A Very Old Publicker Antifreeze Can Our big brand was thermo Antifreeze, sold on Ebay.
    I am going to see if Butch can get some copies made of this book and if he can I will get some more copy books of the Kinsey Auction book made to swap him one for one, so I can post more pictures. I will be posting some of My Oldest Publicker / Continental Distilling bottles some time this week on the Fire Observation thread.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-01-2011 at 09:54.

Disciple

Here are two pictures of Publickers First big Headquarters in 1935 before their 1429 Walnut Street Headquarters.
    1. 260 South Broad Street Philadelphia the Atlantic Building was the first big Headquarters Building for Publicker in 1935.
    2. Another shot of the Atlantic Building Publickers First Headquarters. They Later Moved to 1429 Walnut Street Center City and were there till the End. I also posted some rare Bottle Pictures on the Fire Observation Thread.
    Dave Z

Disciple

Well here I am back posting on all three of my Threads I have been fairly sick the last 2 1/2 weeks first with a Infection / Virus that had me miss work for two days and 4 days in bed, then one of my teeth got infected and has to be pulled today, so getting caught up on questions and some writting here. Here are three Pictures of the raw grain Equipment going from the silo's to the grain drying Building.
    1. The Grain Process equipment going into the Grain dryer year 2002 in ruin.
    2. The grain process equipment in early 1940 from the Kinsey Auction book.
    3. Then Grain drying area with everything taken by the people who claimed they were going to buy Kinsey while they took all the metal they could. Picture taken June 16 2006 by me.
    I wanted to post these three together so you could see the way things were and how they are now. I plan in the next couple of weeks to go walking at Kinsey again it has been a couple of Months since I have been there around Nov 2010. I have been told the Latest things stolen are pieces of Stainless Pipe cut from the 1/2 million Gallon tank area.

It is very Hard for me to see things like this happen to Kinsey and to Know that Kinsey is gone forever as far as operation and is slowly being striped of everything and anything. I am very glad for the pieces of History I have saved from there and the things I remember working there.

I think it would be neat if for one day I could travel back in time to Kinsey to watch as my friends worked there and the daily Operations.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried moments
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Dave, thanks to Kickert's link to Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau....

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...ttbid=90021129

Looks like Old Hickory label was surrendered. Maybe you can scoop it up!

It shows Illinois as the origin...must be the old bottling plant.

Disciple

First Jono the reason it has IL is that Old Hickory was made before Prohibition by another distiller and Publicker Bought the Label in 1933 when Prohibition ended and used the Name to make their Finest Bourbon completely different from the original. Continental Distilling started in 1933 when prohibition ended with Mr Si Neuman and Harry Publicker sitting down and creating all the brand names for their future products, except for Old Hickory which had been well Known back in the day and during the creation time they tried to tie lots of Names to Places in Phila.

One example being Rittenhouse rye which was originaly called Rittenhouse Square Rye! Or who could forget Cobbs creek Blended and as far as The Philadelphia name besides the Blended Whiskey, way Back there was Philadelphia Straight Rye Whiskey which I had a bottle given me by my friend who was high up in Marketing, and it is wonderful Rye!

Working for Publicker I can tell you that Old Hickory had its own Mash bill not shared with any other one.

Our Finest Bourbon Whiskeys were in order of the best
    1. Old Hickory Bourbon - Its own Mash Bill
    2. Hallers County Fair BIB -Its Own Mash Bill
    3. Charter Oak
    4. Planters Club Striaght Bourbon

The Last place Old Hickory was ever made was Medley where Mr Medley had bought all our Whiskey for Old Hickory already bottled, tankers and barrels full. He told me he sold the brand to someone else who He thought later sold it to Leroux Liquor's but He was not sure who had it now. I would love to own the label as I would find someone to make and put the Finest Bourbon in the Old Hickory brand.

If someone bought it to live off its past with Poor whiskey in the bottle I would rather the name ever be used again.

I have two of the Medley bottles he bought from us He stamped over Linfield Pa and put Ownensboro KY on the label of the full bottles he bought and He also bought Labels and stamped over them. I am lucky to have two of these bottles in my collection of bottles.
    Dave Z
    -===============================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-11-2011 at 09:10.

Guru

I wish I knew how the label can be obtained....I wonder if the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau has information on such a transaction. I imagine you have to be "in the business of distilling" to actually buy the label.

Do any of your old papers show the actual mash bill?

Disciple

I do not have the Continental Old Hickory Mash Bill Jono! Yesterday I took what turned out to be a very sad and depressing walk through Kinsey after not going there since Nov due to the bad weather. I saw two young guys stealing sheet metal I did not say anything as not wanting to get in a fight. But what really killed me was going into the Old Kinsey Bottle House where all the Liqours were always made for Continental and seeing that much more of the upper burned out second floor has fallen in due to Pipes being stolen. And the thing that mad me almost blow a gasket was seeing all the stuff that was stolen by the guy this winter who pretented he was going to buy Kinsey.

He cut all the heating pipes and stole the Old Kinsey Whiskey Blender I wish I could beat on Him. I talked to some kids and they told me He drove around town during Dec and told everyone he was buying Kinsey so he could just walk in and steal at will I got some people to call the realter and they said he never talked to them about buying it.

The people I told saw him in there one morning around 4:00-am called the police and they got him for tresspass only, as He did not have any metal at the time.

It is getting hard for me to enjoy going in unless I am telling someone about the place because of all the ruin now.

I took some pictures which I will post tomorrow.
    Dave Z
    =================================================

Connoisseur

Dave, I'm going to try and nail down a weekend in April to get down so we can go through everything. I look forward to it!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Ethangsmith Let me know and make it early April becasue of Ivy poison and weeds as I want to take you on a trip through how everything operated! Today I have a couple of special pictures from the time when Mr Kinsey Had Angelo Myers promoting his Whiskeys. Mr Myers never owned the Plant and I can prove that by statements of His great Nephew Al Landis and Ludy who worked for Mr Kinsey.

When Mr Kinsey started he needed someone well known to get people to try his straight whiskeys so He choose Angelo Myers a highly well Known Spirits broker.

1. & 2. Are prepro ads for Kinsey Products with Mr Myers Name on the Distillery
    3. An old order form to get a case of Whiskeys note addressed Philadelphia where Mr Myers Had his office.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =

Disciple

Today I want to talk about one of the Finest Bourbons ever made Continental Distillings Top seller Old Hickory Straight Bourbon Whiskey and its History before Publicker Bought the Brand at the end of Probition and Once Publicker took that Name and made it one of the most famous Brands of Whiskey Ever! The Brand Old Hickory was first branded and used in the year 1907 by a company called Fleckenstein-Mayer based in Portland OR. the Company was started in 1876 by Henry Fleckenstein who later 1901 took on a partner Named S. Julius Mayer. They used the Old Hickory Whiskey brand name from 1907 till prohibition in 1915 when they went out of bussiness.
    They must have had their Old Hickory made for them in KY as an Old Coaster picture I have says Hand made in Woodford county KY so it most likely was made at the " Old Crow Distillery" there back in those days or another in the near area? Not sure just guessing with the statement on the coaster. From what I could find they were just Liquor Merchants like many others those days who had products made for them.
    For some reason the Picture I posted of the Coaster that says woodford KY did not show here so I will post it on a short thread right after this one.

1.through 3. Are A fleckenstein Old Hickory shot glass, a Picture of their Offices in Portland OR, and Old Letter head from the long gone company.
    ================================================== =====
    These are Old Hickory once Continental Distilling bought the brand name
    4. A Continental Distilling Ad for Old Hickory
    5. This picture is of the Owners manual for my Old Hickory Caraf set of Whiskey Bottles made by Continental Distilling
    ================================================== ===
    When Prohibition ended Publicker in early 1933 Quickly bought the Old Hickory brand and used it till late fall 1979/80.
    They turned a Known Pre pro brand name into an amazing high Quality Bourbon brand with choices of 80 proof 4 yr & 6yr, 86 proof 10 yr and Old Hickory BIB 100 proof, and Old Hickory Aniversary 20 yr old Bourbon made with whiskey from The Old Kinsey Warehouses D,and E down front near the river with Barrels from the early 1950's I saw back when I worked there in the yard gang.

When I get a chance I will post a picture of the First Continental Old Hickory Bourbon Bottle made after Prohibition, as I have one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-05-2011 at 09:52.