Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here is the Picture of the coaster I was not able to get to go on the thread right before here. Please look there #730 first. This coaster was Old Hickory when it was distilled for Fleckenstein in the mid 1900's. Don't know why but had to redo the picture to get it to go on so it was to late for the thread before which was about this picture and the early Old Hickory Story. please go back page 73, #730 for the story as my luck here today has put this on the next page from the story I am having a bad day today
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-05-2011 at 10:03.

Disciple

Here are some of my latest pictures in the Plant during Sat April 2 and Monday April 25 something went wrong here and only 7 came up so I have to try and repost the 30 others again later this week or next
    1. looking down from the mid plant 1/2
    million gal tanks to O warehouse
    2. Old Silos and grain drying building

3.. Grain Process building from here it went to the Still area.
    4. Walking toward the Old Kinsey Maintaince Barn looking at what is left of the Old DSP-pa 10 Kinsey Rye Barn.
    5. A Pile of Bricks where the Old Kinsey Plant Office once stood next to the Old Kinsey Bottle House stands in ruin.
    6. Cathotonic and Anatonic tanks April 25 very wet in there.
    7. two weeks ago of the Old Bottle House was dry and now on April 25 after all the rain the water was to deep for me to walk in.

I loved the Old Kinsey bottle House it was the first Bottling house I was ever in when I started there, and Ludy and Al Landis have told me so many great stories about it!
    Also Many of the Ladies that worked in the Big Bottle House loved the old one because they could get a drink alot easier there and they nickmaned it Happy House! Hope these pictures have been interesting, and I hope sometime in the near future to get in the Big bottle house to take pictures of what the Vandels have done including the guy who told everyone in Linfield He was buying the Place just so he could go there during the Christmas Holidays to steal. I also hope I can get my other pictures to post.

I can never forgive him for stealing the Old Blender from the Old Bottle House before I could save it for History.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-26-2011 at 12:45.

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Hi Dave. I walked through the property the last time i was in Pa to take some pictures of the property, this was on 7/31/2010. Here are some of the pictures from there, I have many more but it is nothing you haven't seen.

Old Truck behind the bottle plant

the large tank that seems to move all around

Fire extinguisher dated from 79/80 surprised that is still there

Graffiti in one of the 2 large tanks

The fire observation tower

Nature taking the warehouses back

The scale in the building with the tanks out back (forgot the name if it)

Room with some fuse boxes, empty of course

PS. Dave I PM'ed you on the other forum hope you get my message, I will send you one on here also

Disciple

Hey Mike I will get in touch with you to go to Kinsey! Here are some new pictures from the plant from last week and early April.

1. Last week leaving the Plant I discovered 5 original charred Floaters laying where valdels had tossed them plus one broken in half. I brought them home and while I was next to the old Guard box I took a picture of two of them. When we started the 380 gal and 120 gal Whiskey Barrels when I was in the yard gang we where directed certain amounts of charred Floaters to be put in each barrel as we filled new barrels. They had experimented with floaters back in 1962. So when Makers did their thing last year it was with an idea which Continental Distilling had tried way back in 1962.
    2. The Original big sign from warehouse R waiting for Fricky to shlack for me when he can. It is safe at Kinsey east.
    3. This is an old Wood laminate Picture with the early products of ours from our 1947 Broshure this once hung at Continental Distillings World wide Headquarters at 1429 Walnut Street Phila. It was given to me by my friend who was high up in Marketing for the company.
    4.A shot of the fron and side of the 1966 Bottling House as weeds and trees take it over in early spring!

Last week walking around I studied the area where the old DSP-PA-#1 stood and figuered exactly where the old Tunnel was where we took break when I was in the yard gang and the next 3 pictures explain it.

5. Looking over the remains of the still foundation you are looking at the old door that came down stairs to the Tunnel.
    6.Looking over only at the door to the tunnel.
    7. When I was standing figuiring how this was layed out it all came to me when I saw the white paint on the wall of the grain process building this was the tunnel area and just as I stood thereI saw something that was there all the time and I even found the distillery sign near here. What I saw was some old Lockers.
    8. Lockers standing right there where a roof and ajoining building had once been and these are some of the lockers and where I had my Locker back then! We sat on Old 1930's benches to eat those days and I listened to many old stories of the Old days then.

I have some Phila Plant Pictures I am going to post on 1966 bottle house thread today. I was thrill when I put this all together to give you idea of how the Still building was down the high bank it sat on.
    Dave Z
    ============================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Guru

Mike, very nice photo of the large tank graffiti, actually, rather artistic graffiti at that! My gosh, how large are those tanks? Any idea on width and height? Surprised they were not salvaged for scrap.

Dave, regarding -
    5. Looking over the remains of the still foundation you are looking at the old door that came down stairs to the Tunnel.

Where did the tunnel run - between which buildings and what was its use?

Connoisseur

I was able to spend today with Dave at Continental and got the full tour. Talk about HUGE! I'm used to little Michter's in Schaefferstown and to see the scale of this distillery is absolutely amazing. So as to not use up more space for this thread, I will link you to my blog where I have a few photos of the day. A huge thanks to Dave for taking my wife and I through and going into detail about how everything worked!

http://theethansmithblog.blogspot.co...istillery.html
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I was able to spend today with Dave at Continental and got the full tour. Talk about HUGE! I'm used to little Michter's in Schaefferstown and to see the scale of this distillery is absolutely amazing. So as to not use up more space for this thread, I will link you to my blog where I have a few photos of the day. A huge thanks to Dave for taking my wife and I through and going into detail about how everything worked!

http://theethansmithblog.blogspot.co...istillery.html
    Ethen it was my Pleasure taking you and your wife through the Plant and I was worn out after the next group of 5 people after you.
    Dave Z

Connoisseur

I'll bet! That was an awful lot of ground to cover. I still have the Continental Corn Whiskey barrel head drying in the basement. So far so good!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Anyone seen or heard from Dave? He was supposed to email me last week but never did. I'm worried something may have happened to him since we were out in the heat so much when I was down there with him.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Anyone seen or heard from Dave? He was supposed to email me last week but never did. I'm worried something may have happened to him since we were out in the heat so much when I was down there with him.
    I was just thinking we hadn't heard from Dave in a while... Hope everything is okay.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.