Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Tomorrow Thursday I am going to take a Picture of My Office Desk which now has 11 sets of Pilot lights, and one lighting explosion proof Candle and switches that light up from Kinsey Distillery and 26 sets in my office total! Sunday I got a never used Explosion proof Switch from Warehouse 38 from the very late 1940's early 1950's and mated it to two 1940 old time Pilot lights from Warehouse 38. The Company Electrician Paul wired it to turn one light on manual and the other light turning to the auto setting. I am glad I did as most stuff now has been stolen by the NO Good Vandels that raid the place from time to time. My goal is History preserved their goal is being bums that do not work and live by stealing from werever they can how ever they can. Had a Blast with Ethan -- Hey Ethan lets go one more time before Thanksgiving? Let me Know, and yes as I have said many times the Best Whiskeys for the most Part that Michter's had were made at DSP-Pa-1 Phila.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-09-2011 at 04:24.

Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

My calendar is getting really busy as Christmas approaches. I'll have to see if there is another weekend that will work.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

As I have said and posted before I have saved lots of Vintage Expolsion proof Switches and Pilot lights. Well here are a couple of shots of lights in my office saved from Kinsey by me and wired by the Company Electrcian Paul.

Pictures are
    1. My Desk with 12 units including an Explosion proof late 1930's portable candle made into a desk light.
    2. Side cabinet with large switch box from Government Building that turned on the pumps to send whiskey and Distilled water to the 1966 Bottling House. And five other sets.
    3. Back corner of my office with another Explosion proof Candle into a lamp and a set of pilot lights.
    Back shelves with 6 sets of Pilot light/Explosion proof switches and some of the working tube radio's from my years of collecting them they all work and I use them every day in my office. I have 18 radio's in my office.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Yay! The coveted and rarely seen photos of Dave's work space! I'll bet the room looks awesome with the ceiling lights turned out and all the switches and lamps lit!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Finally here are some Plant pictures, gotten with Rod and Ethan be sure and look at the Pictures I posted on my two other threads this morning.
    1. George Kuterbach on rail in kinsey brick & wood waerhouse F
    2. Looking up through to top of racks Warehouse F
    3. & 4. barrels in warehouse F that never got dumped and whiskey evaporated and barrels fell apart.
    5. Shorty Keller on rail warehouse F
    6. Old 1892 Kinsey Warehouse B with racks and everything else fallen down.
    7. My Old Friend Warren Eashbach "Eagle Beak" He loved being called Eagle Beak and always said the Nose Knows! Warehouse M
    8. Sprinkler Main in warehouse F
    9. Two abandon Fork Lifts in warehouse M
    10. Ethan and I saw these strange barrels in warehouse P Sunday a week ago they are thinner wood and have 3 big steel rings. Anyone Know what they were?
    Well I have a few more pictures to post soon but for now I have posted on all 3 threads and will leave it at that for a bit.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-14-2011 at 12:34.

Connoisseur

I can see my lantern shining off in the distance in the barrel loader photo. It's amazing how big those warehouses are. That lantern is a Star trainman lantern and it looks like a tiny little light dot in the photo. Shows you how wide they are inside! As an extra note on the odd barrels. You can see they are also not tapered in any way, but instead are completely cylindrical. The rings are very large and look like they would fit on rails or some sort of track system. These barrels were all in close proximity to a dump trough and were pretty well rotted. They may have even been made of pine, judging by how rotted and soft the wood was. All the other buildings with dump troughs either have nothing nearby or a bunch of old re-used barrels that were filled with rye mash or bourbon mash "whisky" at one time. We also found several scotch barrel heads here and there, most of which were bright yellow and said "Inver House" on them and had a bung drilled into them.

Disciple

On a typical day working in the Explosion Proof warehouses we would go to the first wasehouse on our list with our Lead man. You would look at the pilot lights on the dock to make sure there was power.
    Next go in the stairway to the floor you were going and throw the big floor switch. The door would then be able to open as they had a type of electric door Lock. I will take a picture on one next trip.

Then you went to the big electric Header which I have posted pictures of Look to see its pilot light was lit and turn on the sections you wanted to be powered up. Then each rack section had its own lights on explosion proof switchs like the ones I have on the pillers, the Old Crouse / Hines type 1930's/1940's. The cealing would have heavy Blue vapors from the top down about 3 feet. The cealings were 22 feet high.

Throwing the big switches turned on the explosion proof conections for your lift and then it was time to either pull barrels or rack them. Also some of the warehouses with dump troughs on the first floor had pumps that would pump the whiskey through a canister Cloth Bag filter then a tank in there and then to the bottling house tankage headed for the Bottle house.

Warehouse C was like that with its dump trough right in front of the tank and there was a cloth canister Filter bag then a 2,000 plus holding tank. Then Pipes right to the 1966 bottling house. last time I was in there I saw the lousy vandels had broken the filter canister right off its mounting. Amazingly there was some Old 25 year old dirty whiskey laying in the bag!

We would travel to two to three warehouses somedays pulling and loading for a warehouse with a trough or pulling and dumping at a warehouse you were pulling from if it had a trough.

There were 3 or four gangs that did this job. The day went by fast and in the summer it was nice and cool in the warehouses.
    Dave Z
    ------===============--------------------===============--
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Virtuoso

Great reading as always, Dave, thanks.

Cheers!

Disciple

Luna 56 thanks for the Kind words! It is my hope to tell all I can about Kinsey and Publicker. I was off from work this week and went and found a brand new Red Glass explosion proof glass and a brand new 1940's housing to screw it into I also found a mint explosion proof switch, so I am going to make a red desk lamp for my office when it is done I will post a picture. It was raining today and as I walked around the plant it seemed so weird that everything is in ruin and abandon like it is. I stopped and stood and just looked around and it was sureal for me.

When I left there Fall of 1971 everything was in perfect condition, and to see it like this even after all these years and times I have been there seems very weird.

I wish I could save everything for History but I can't, still I try to save everything that has to do with the place when I can.

I stopped at warehouse N today and stood on the dock and just closed my eyes and thought of the old 1941 Ford flat trucks racing back and forth hauling full whiskey barrels to be dumped. It is so sad to stand there and relise that the place just became to old and no one wanted it after Mr Neuman died, and Publicker closed . If only someone other then the man from NY bought it, it may well be still being used but he is of the type that buys things to write them off. And let them go to ruin!

Till the day I die I will try to write what it was like to be part of the Kinsey / Publicker / Continental Distilling story. Picture a beautiful Park and that is how Kinsey looked back then.

Dave Z
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-29-2011 at 19:07.

Connoisseur

Good work Dave. I am willing to bet those odd shape barrels are not barrels at all. But sections of wooden pipe.