Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

This picture is one of exactly the type of old Ford Truck we used at the plant back in 1966 to haul barrels from warehouse to warehuse for dumping or racking in another one! 1941 Ford Flat Head V8 4 speeds painted Flat Red! They actualy ran real good but were window less no windshield Wipers and later no doors!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ===================================
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Here are a few more of my Pictures through the years of The Kinsey Distillery. It is sad to see it like this. When I worked there everything was kept as perfect as possible. Picture #1 is in the old Kinsey Bottle house of the Cathionic & Anitonic Tanks #2 An old Ford Truck with Continental Distilling on the door. #3 The Grain buildings out front 1892. #4 An Old Company Generator that was taken out of storage by a company that said they were going to fix the place a few years ago all they did was steal Metal and leave this out for the Kids to destroy, such a shame it still worked till then!
    Dave Z
    =======================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-28-2008 at 02:53.

Disciple

Here are some more of my Pictures of the Kinsey Plannt from years past! Hard to believe it sits like this but we live in a different World! Picture #3 is of the side of the 1966 Bottling house shows how really Large it was, Pic #1&4 are the Kinsey #10 Rye Still Building DSP#10. Pic #2 Looking up throught the warehouses,Pic #5 H building the one on the old picture they were building the last of the old Warehouse type. Pic #7 the second floor of the old Bottle house Pic #6 One of the Explosion proof warehouse,and Pic #8 another shot looking at some of the warehouses!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon
    =================================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-30-2008 at 04:01.

Disciple

Just a few more shot of the Old Plant I love so much!
    1. Warehouse H with water tower in front of it.
    2.Back of Building O the Government Building
    3. Side shot of Warehouse H built in 1937 it was the last of the early pre Continental Distilling Warehouses and on the 1937 Picture on this web is being built. Note behind it sits the double warehouse of Building G&F you can see the back sticking out on the left side. These warehouses only had one way in and one way out. and to go up you climbed a Wooden Ladder or took the old time frieght Elevator.
    4.The Gauges on the old Generater which are noe all broken out by Kids, a very sad thiong that it sat safe for so many years till 2000 when the out fit in there then brought it out to use then let it to be destroyed.
    I will continenue to try to get shots of the plant to show how things worked there also of the 14 Explosion proof Warehouses all but one have a letter for a name the very last one going to the Steer Pens id Building #38 Ludt said there was a special reason back then but can't quite remember what it was, although he thinks as has to do with the weigh and store house #38 accross from it.
    Dave Z
    Old hickory Ameerica's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    =====================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-30-2008 at 10:02.

Virtuoso

Dave, thanks a million for taking the time to share this. I love seeing the old trucks and stuff, it makes me a bit wistful for times past.

Here's to better times, both past and future.

Cheers!

Disciple

Here are some Bottling machine pictures from Building O, and other stuff in the plant I crawled through weeds ticks,mold and bad air but it is worth it to save history!
    The Pictures are from 1 to 8
    1. Singer Bottling machine in building O
    2.another Phillip Singer Bottle machine Building O
    3.Singer Bottle Machine
    4. Closeup of Model Plate on machine
    5 through 7 are of the Water Distilling room in Building O Governmaent Building. All distilled water used in making Whiskey was done here between the government Offices and the break room!
    8. This is a picture I forgot from the 1966 Bottling house this is the machine the numbered and cut the tax strips used on the bottles to seal them after filled. They would buy sheets then cut and mark them everything from just numbered for the USA to ones that were for the Philinpines, oversea's seals for Alcohol bottles and bottled in Bond were done on this machine!
    Dave Z
    ======================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-01-2008 at 18:47.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Here are some more Pictures of the Old Kinsey Home down by the river and one of the trees that is along the carridge path to the house, they were planted on both sides all the way down. Also a Picture of the tree I used to mulch when I worked there as a Kid, and two shots from the roof of one of the Warehouses!
    Dave Z
    ========================================

Disciple

This time I tried my best to get as good a set of Pictures as I could in O building of the Phillip Singer sewing Machine Company Bottling Machines, and there is some light in there unlike the Bottling House which is total darkness. Also I was finnaly Able to get some pictures of the water Distilling room in Building O it was between the Goverment Offices and and the Lunch & Break room in the Plant proper! A man by the name of Marshal ran the Water Distilling equipment. O was the Only one of the Explosion Prrof warehouses to have windows in the Warehouse downstairs and the break room and Government Offices. It was always a very busy place and the only Bathrooms in the area's of the warehouses up there. We always had A Treat Soda's in a machine and a cig machine there plus crackers and stuff. We would jump on the old Dodge 1953 Flat truck and be taken to the break room at Lunch and Breaks. If you missed the truck you would never get there in time for break and back to work the place was so big! 200 Acre's of Plant with its own Cement one inch rod inforced Highway, its own rail bridge and rails coming in two ways one way from the Reading railroad the other the Pennsy! I have many good memories of Shooting dice at the break room. Those where good days for a 19 year old kid making a $101.20 a week after taxes!
    Dave Z

Disciple

When I walk around Kinsey I think back to better days like in 1969 at 22 years old I made $101.20 after taxes which were then $15.12 & $4.85. I had work every Day people loved our country and even if there were bad things going on in Our Country we were always trying to make them right. I am very glad I lived in this time I would not want to be here many years from now as things are so different today People don't care about anyone but themselves allot today. We had fun working we did not sit home and let the Government give us money we learned a trade and did not sit around feeling sorry for ourselves I have worked some days when I can bearly walk but it is the right thing to do. And I have always said when you do a good honest Job you like your enjoying working and paying your own keep. At Kinsey we had a clean nice place with good pay and hard working people and a Company that was being run with great Idea's and hopes! And we Had wonderfull Products not just the drinking stuff but the Best Industrial Hospital Alcohols made then and much more. I am Proud I worked for Publicker and I am Proud and Thankful to live in the USA!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-03-2008 at 05:58.

Disciple

Another fellow was Cal Roberts who was our Fire Chief Him and Harry Martin and Stan stafoniwitz would tend to all the Hydrants, run the old Fire Engine a very old Mack, do drills and fire watches when there was any kind of Burning on site. They had a small building next to old Warehouse H and would do monthly fire drills at the old Buildings. They would also go up to the Fire tower to check all directions from time to time. Kinsey was a very safe Distillery and all fire sprinklers were checked on a regular basis. Even the Old #12 and other buildings not used for years were painted heated and checked for fire safety every Month. Cal was a very Nice Man and did his job very well. Publicker always kept things up even if not use we would sweep all the buildings not used on a regular basis too!
    Dave Z
    ===================================