Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Thanks Tom never thought about that. Here are a couple of my new creations of Kinsey/Continental Distilling Explosion Proof Historic parts made into lights for History. Here are some pictures of completed lights and my New Red Light Explosion Proof Light being wired by my Friend Paul the Company Electrician.
    1. & 2. Being wired now I will take a picture of My completed desk setup next week. The Red Cover was still in a box covered with Hay for shipping.
    3. This explosion proof Light to eliminate a Liquid Site gauge on the Old tanks in DSP-Pa-12 Lives on in my office. When the Poeple who said they were fixing Kinsey were there before they tore the DSP-pa-12 down they robbed the metal switches out to scrap and never got to scrap this one it and the other really Old 1930's parts were in a big scrap barrel and I brought them home to save them for History I also as taught when I was young and worked in a museum labeled where they were from and dated when I saved them.
    4. !930's Appleton Pilot Light with Matching switch from the Old Still with the Pump 2 Plate from the 1966 Bottling House.

Saving every part I can of what it takes to Operate today and Back in the day a Distillery is all part of My saving of History for Publicker/Continental/Kinsey.

These may just be parts to operate but with out them you do not distill.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

That should give off a nice red glow.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Hey Dave! Those switches & plate look familiar
    Glad you got them home & wired up. I'm sure they look great when lit up. Can't wait to go back soon.
    What's up Ethan?

Here's some pictures from our trips:

11/6/11 (First Top Bunch)
    http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1000007

11/13/11
    http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1020180

11/19/11
    http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1020596

Connoisseur

Hey man what's up? I think this spring we'll have to make a serious expedition down once it gets warm. Make a day of it and see what other cool items we can find! Come on spring!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Hey man what's up? I think this spring we'll have to make a serious expedition down once it gets warm. Make a day of it and see what other cool items we can find! Come on spring!
    Sounds good to me! Though we may make a few trips between now & then

Disciple

Well I have finally gotten my last two old switch sets wired by my Electrician friend at work Joe so here is my Red explosion proof lamp from warehouse #38 only warehouse ever numbered and my late 1930's amber lens water proof switch set from warehouse K dock.
    First pictures are my newly made Explosion proof Red lens lamp.
    Then one of the little dock switch and light and a couple of shots of my desk. I also have a clear lamp cover and after the first pictures I changed the bumb to a small clear one which looks better then the big frosted one.
    Number 5 picture shows the lamp with the small clear bulb.

On my desk you can see my Explosion proof candle lamp which was built this past spring and my lighted v shaped Site glass light from the old DSP-Pa-12 still plus a pilot light and switch from the 1930's from the still and Pump one and pump two plates saved from the 1966 bottling house!
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

The lights look great as usual Dave!

Disciple

Well we are in a mild winter right now and my thoughts go back to working at Kinsey during the winter months. Right now with no snow and faily mild weather we would all be cleaning alot in the yard gang. I would put in to sweep the Old Buildings such as the DSP-Pa- 12 still and the grain drying building. I loved weeping and exploring the old still. The Old Honeywell quality chart machine had new disc's in it dated to Late Mar 1951 the date it was stopped being used. As a young man I wanted to learn as much as I could about Kinsey Distillery. One winter we swept all the fire excapes out in the 14 explosion proof warehouses what a dirty mess with lots of dead birds laying in there.

The one fall we went into the Old Jacob G Kinsey Bottle house which Continental used to make all their Liquors till the day in fall 1979 they closed the door on making spirits forever!

They had gotten a Large order from Jacquins and wanted the place spotless before the ladies came over from the big Bottle house. The Kinsey bottle house was loved by the Ladies they dubbed it Happy House because they could sneek a drink easier there. I loved the Old Philip Singer Bottling machines in there on 3 Liqour bottling lines.

It is hard for me to see it ready to fall down completly in the near future and in general seeing the whole place going down the drain.
    When I walk there I see in my mind all the people I knew there and the Old Trucks roaring down through.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-02-2012 at 09:44.

It looks like ill be making another trip up to PA in early March, maybe the 6th to the 13th, I'm not sure on the dates though. I would like to explore Kinseys 2 times while I'm there (if I have the time) if you are up for it Dave. Ill let you know the dates when it gets closer.

Disciple

Hello Ethan and Rod looking forward to a trip there very soon before the weeds get to bad to go anywhere. Been thinking about the old days and working there. This time of year if no snow in the yard gang it would be a whole lot of sweeping and I would be vollinteering to do the Old DSP-Pa-12 still.

I can never forget the first day ringing out at the time clock in the still and seeing them feed the giant crape and sucker fish they had put in the old cyprus fermenter there. The one guy said to me when your turn comes you have to buy only Wonder Bread for the Fish!

At end of the day we would ride down on the back of the blue 1951 ford pickup the yard gang used. Later when I was in the warehouses we would ride on the back of the old 1953 Dodge flat bed truck!

The place was big about 200 acres then so you did not want to miss the truck. Mike Zuno drove the old Dodge truck. The winter Jackets they got us were really warm an Army green Corderoy sub zero jacket. When the winter winds came up from the river you needed them.

Also the warehouses were cold so you wore them the whole time you worked and they got riped doing the work we did I had a new one every year. Wish I had one of them now! We also were given green coveralls to wear as the barrels were very dirty and you kept your clothes clean that way. They were great days for a 19 year old and I am proud I worked there.
    Dave Z
    ==================================================