Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 81 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

I can't wait for our next trip! I'll have to start stocking up on batteries now!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Looking forward to it too! I have a new 4 Sevens flashlight I want to use in there. 280 Lumens
    Shoot us a PM when you think you may go!

Dave, My trip is official, I have the plane ticket in hand, I have a new headlight and I will be giving you a call on Wednesday after I land. You are such an asset to the history of this place.

Connoisseur

Rod, Dave:

Ill send you both a message......
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Ethan and Spiderblues are you around on Sunday Mar 18th if the weather is good? If so lets go for it, I will get keys if I know for sure. I was walking around there today with Mike and then later with my old school friend Don. The weeds have not started yet and I was even able to walk inside the Old Kinsey silo today. I felt a million memories there and sadness at how bad everything is there now. I found an Old glass sight gauge with a glass ellbo today in the ruins of the old Kinsey Bottle House out front. I brought it home and will post a picture soon.

Mr Neuman would turn over in his grave if he saw what has happen to his beautiful distillery on the river in Linfield.

It is hard for me to believe what has happen to Her, she was a shinning star back in the day.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Connoisseur

Saturday or Sunday works, but it would work better for me on Saturday as I could be down a lot earlier and stay later.

Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Today I want to do a little here on the good days of Kinsey and time lines of the Plant. Jacob G Kinsey opened the plant in 1893 and ran it up till Ptohibition. When prohibition was gong on Mr Kinsey went to Germany to learn the brewing of Beer. When Prohibition ended in 1933 Mr Kinsey reopened the Kinsey Distillery at age 75 when most people would want to retire.

Sadly in fall of 1939 he went bankrupt and the plant was sold to Continental Distilling at silent Auction in spring of 1940.
    Mr Neuman started the building of the 14 explosion Proof warehouses in 1946 and they were finished in fall 1947 around Sept the month I was born in 1947. My Father Clarence Ziegler after WWII worked there in the early 1950's for around 2 or 3 years in the warehouses.
    The 2 foot ball field long 3/4 football field wide Multi use explosion proof warehouse U was built in 1951 and was used for its long docks for storage and shipping till around 1963 when the process of making it into the Worlds Largest Bottling house started and through 1964,and 1965 when the Inver House Plant was being opened after its building. In Sept of 1966 the worlds Largest most modern State of the art Continental Distilling Bottling House opened its doors to 500 plus people for jobs. It had 11 lines its own lab,warehousing of Product a dock big enough for three rail cars and 10 trucks to be served and Line A-1-F could do 40,000 bottles a day it was run by a early Computer.

The total people working at Kinsey peaked to 600 in the late 1960's. The Old Kinsey Bottling house known as Happy House and built in early 1933 was used continuosly till 1979 for bottling all of our large Line of Liquors. When Publicker Quit the warehousing and making and bottling of spirits.
    The Company Distilled Whiskey and sold it till around 1982. Kinsey and the Bottling house were used for the bottling of Home Chemicals and AntiFreeze till sept 1986. The Plant closed one night and never reopened.

The Terrible man who owns the Plant and abandoned it bought it in 1982 and leased the bottling house some tanks and a couple of Warehouses to Publicker but he kept finding ways to up the lease and Publicker having old equipment in phila and bad managmeent after Mr Neuman's death in 1976 stopped operating in 1986. Ten years after Mr Neumans death Kinsey died it operated for 94 yrs,Mr Kinsey Lived to be 94 and Continetal Distilling died after 94 yrs.

Talking to someone who worked there at the end I found out they came to work their next work day to Find the guards telling them the place was sealed. Lunchs sat in refridges anything left was left to rot there. Fork lifts, and the man who owned the place destroyed it by turning all the power off abandoning it with no one watch it and protect the wiring. The type of Explosion proof switches used in the buildings would have been fine to this day if someone had watched the place and kept it open so the Power plant would not be out of the Grandfather clause. Once he shut it down Kinsey was doomed to the way it is Now. One person above anyone else caused this the man who took advantage of them in bad times buying it for 3 Million dollars and then walking away like a slum landlord in 1986.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-15-2012 at 09:37.

Guru

Dave, did your father feel the same way about working there as you do?

What made him leave employment there, if you don't mind me asking?

Connoisseur

It was another great day with perfect weather for the Continental outing. I'm sure there will be pictures from Dave to follow. We found quite a few new interesting items and had some time to really cover a good amount of the property. New vandalism was pretty prevalent, but there was still much that was untouched and really fun to go through!

Great seeing you guys again & Dave too! Saw a lot & I'm excited to try to start my lamp project. I disassembled & cleaned everything up. It came out nice. I am going to use the complete, new unit with the porcelain shade. I can rig it to work. The shade is in great shape & looks vibrant all cleaned up. The 1930's switch is nice but the switch itself was blown. Good thing Dave told me to take another as a spare. Didn't know I'd need it right away!
    Hope to do it again soon!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    It was another great day with perfect weather for the Continental outing. I'm sure there will be pictures from Dave to follow. We found quite a few new interesting items and had some time to really cover a good amount of the property. New vandalism was pretty prevalent, but there was still much that was untouched and really fun to go through!