Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 82 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Well now hee are some more shots including a shot of Me ad Ethan rolling Barrels to the elevator in one of the warehouses.
    1. Well here is Ethan and I working the Barrel lift in one of the old Explosion proof warhouses.
    2. Me Ethan and Rd with Ethans new toy a Bourbon Barrel head dated 1962. For a 72 gal whiskey Barrel even then we had some big Barrels!
    3. Barrel on the lift
    4.Lookng over the high bank to the river at the old Kinsey water intake plant I finally was able to work around warehouse D&E to get this shot
    5. A zoom shot over the bank of the water plant. It was there the guys got the fish they put in he old fermentes.
    6.Writting on Old Kinsey B Warehouse, B and A were the very first warehouses at insey built in around the mid to late 1890's.
    7. Looking in what is left of Old warehouse B.
    8.This is where Dickie Pfiefer worked keeping all the Old Kinsey trucks and cars running. Stone and dirt floor just a home made bay with a radiator hanging from the home made ceiling for heat.
    9.Looking at where the still and tunnel were at the door way that used to bring you down to the tunnel.
    10.A shot from Sunday a week From the fire tower looking at the fire escape for warehouse S.
    11. Writing on beam in warehouse D
    Well I have a couple more for some time Later so enjoy and please look at the pictures on to other two threads also.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-18-2012 at 13:47.

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Great stuff Dave. Had a great time. Hope to do it again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Well now hee are some more shots including a shot of Me ad Ethan rolling Barrels to the elevator in one of the warehouses.
    1. Well here is Ethan and I working the Barrel lift in one of the old Explosion proof warhouses.
    2. Me Ethan and Rd with Ethans new toy a Bourbon Barrel head dated 1962. For a 72 gal whiskey Barrel even then we had some big Barrels!
    3. Barrel on the lift
    4.Lookng over the high bank to the river at the old Kinsey water intake plant I finally was able to work around warehouse D&E to get this shot
    5. A zoom shot over the bank of the water plant. It was there the guys got the fish they put in he old fermentes.
    6.Writting on Old Kinsey B Warehouse, B and A were the very first warehouses at insey built in around the mid to late 1890's.
    7. Looking in what is left of Old warehouse B.
    8.This is where Dickie Pfiefer worked keeping all the Old Kinsey trucks and cars running. Stone and dirt floor just a home made bay with a radiator hanging from the home made ceiling for heat.
    9.Looking at where the still and tunnel were at the door way that used to bring you down to the tunnel.
    10.A shot from Sunday a week From the fire tower looking at the fire escape for warehouse S.
    11. Writing on beam in warehouse D
    Well I have a couple more for some time Later so enjoy and please look at the pictures on to other two threads also.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

Connoisseur

I need to shave. I just realized this looking at the photo. Maybe I should consider being less lazy on the weekends. Maybe.

It was a great time and I plan on getting some sort of hanging equipment on the back of that barrel head soon. It'll look great next to my Pennco and Michter's heads!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Here are a few more pictures from Satudays trip.
    1.,2.,3. Barrels that were in the racks in Old Kinsey warehouse G once full they sat there and went dry falling apart in the racks. It may have been to dangerous to get them out in the end days of operation.
    4. Ladder I used to climb in Warehouse D out front to roll barrels to the end of the racks.
    5. George Kuterbach written on beam in warehouse G.
    When we were there we climbed down in the sub floor of G and walked around a little to take these pictures it was hard getting down there and harder getting out!
    Lots of Memories of these old Brick and wooden warehouses built by Jacob G Kinsey. Some of the finest whiskeys lived in these old warehouses.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

looks like you guys had some fun going through there. Hopefully Ill be back up there in the fall time as the leaves start changing colors (if its a good year), I want to go through that farmhouse and barn and get some more pictures of them before they totally collapse. I'm starting to find time to go through the pictures I have taken in Kinseys and I hope to start posting them soon. Dave Thanks again for taking me back there and I hope to do it again soon, and find some more odd lost stuff.

Disciple

Hey Mike we will go there again in the fall. Here are 4 Pictures of My Office Desk with Kinsey explosion proof Lights and switches of varied types some being weather proof ones also. I now have a large Blue / green explosion proof lamp I am building for my office side table of Lights.
    When It is done I will have 32 lighted sets in my office. Rod and I also have started projects of restoring one green over head explosion proof ceiling light with Green enamel shades from warehouse's L and K to make a floor lamp each
    The last picture is taken at a distance so you can see the old Publicker Art pictures on the wall from the Publicker World wide Headquarters on 1429 Walnut Street in Phila back in the day.
    I will be posting pictures of the ceiling unit unassembled and assembled waiting to be built. Rod has someone to create our lamps sometime in the future.
    I have mine completely apart except I have to get someone to drill out the hard red wax the wires run through to the lamp top. I think I May be borrowing a drill tomorow.

I am glad Rod gave me the idea of making a lamp and he has his completely apart now a day ahead of me!
    Here are the 4 Pictures of my History desk It is very hard seeing Kinsey the way it is, the end is very near but I will continue to post about the days there and keep saving History from there. Working there at 19 yrs old was a thrill for me and it was a wonderful place to work!
    --------------------------------------------
    The Best Old Fashions Are You'll Find
    The Mellow,Made With Kinsey Kind!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-27-2012 at 09:12.

Disciple

Here is another Good Picture from My office I forgot to post on page 816 the page before this one. This shows a closeup of Explosion Proof switches and 4 Weather proof switchs from the Old Buildings in the plant, on my desk. Please check out the Pictures on the page 816 before this one that I posted a hour ago.
    -------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey for
    Unhurried Moments
    dave Z

Connoisseur

Dave,
    I noticed on your office walls there are a few photos of the interior of some of the concrete warehouses full of barrels. Is there any way you can post close-up photos of those on here? I've seen them empty and it really has me curious as to what they looked like with racks and barrels in them!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Ethan here is the Picture you saw on my wall Plus another one with barrels waiting to be rolled.
    Both Pictures 1.& 2. are from the Snyder Ave Barrel House in the Snyder Ave Publicker plant Phila in the year 1947 the same year I was born. That warehouse's setup is exactly the way the 14 Explosion proof Warehouses looked with barrels in the racks and the exact same type of rack built by the same company that built them at Kinsey. Also the warehouse was built by the same builder and brick by Kelly for Brick.

The Snyder Ave Barrel House was a very big one built with the same type of stairwells and a fire escape stairwell.

Just got home and adding 3 pictures of my completely unasembled Overhead Explosion proof ceiling light from Warehouse K at Kinsey I finally got the plug drilled out of the ficture part where the wires went Picture 5 second part to the left of the green shade. The wires were showing metal and when it is turned into a lamp it no longer needs to have the plug top keep vapors out. My Next step will be working with Rod to create a standing explosion proof lamp which will be able to go to a Museum when I am gone.
    I will post a picture of it reasembled later while I wait to get someone to help with the building of a lamp stand and heavy base.

Thought everyone would enjoy seeing this work of Love for the place resteration!

================================================== =====
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-28-2012 at 14:33.

Connoisseur

Thanks Dave! Awesome pictures. Is that a puddle of whiskey on the floor in the first photo? Or did the roofs tend to leak even back then? It also surprises me how well lit the interiors were. I can only imagine the smell of all that aging whiskey.....