Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 83 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

Yes Ethan that is a typical whiskey Puddle back in the day. On colder or very hot days sometimes when you go in the warehouses you will see some whiskey seeping up out of the cement and still smell it.
    Here are 2 pictures one at the Publicker plant in the year 1941 and Harry Publickers Home
    1.Bigler street Plant Looking east.
    2.Harry Publickers Home

I got these from my friend Butch who worked at the Publicker Plant for ten years back in the day!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-29-2012 at 10:45.

Re: My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

The lamp looks great Dave. Good work cleaning it! Still trying to figure out the base.

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Ethan here is the Picture you saw on my wall Plus another one with barrels waiting to be rolled.
    Both Pictures 1.& 2. are from the Snyder Ave Barrel House in the Snyder Ave Publicker plant Phila in the year 1947 the same year I was born. That warehouse's setup is exactly the way the 14 Explosion proof Warehouses looked with barrels in the racks and the exact same type of rack built by the same company that built them at Kinsey. Also the warehouse was built by the same builder and brick by Kelly for Brick.

The Snyder Ave Barrel House was a very big one built with the same type of stairwells and a fire escape stairwell.

Just got home and adding 3 pictures of my completely unasembled Overhead Explosion proof ceiling light from Warehouse K at Kinsey I finally got the plug drilled out of the ficture part where the wires went Picture 5 second part to the left of the green shade. The wires were showing metal and when it is turned into a lamp it no longer needs to have the plug top keep vapors out. My Next step will be working with Rod to create a standing explosion proof lamp which will be able to go to a Museum when I am gone.
    I will post a picture of it reasembled later while I wait to get someone to help with the building of a lamp stand and heavy base.

Thought everyone would enjoy seeing this work of Love for the place resteration!

================================================== =====

Disciple

When Rod and I were at Kinsey I saved an old sign from inside warehouse L. I had a steel hanging cable put on it and they cleaned it for me. Here is A Picture of it Friday night when I brought it home and a shot of my new Kinsey displace on my Bathroom wall.
    1. Woooden sign restored from warehouse L
    2. On wall above an old fiberboard sign from J warehouse and a picture of Old Dsp-pa-12 and a shot of the Grain drying building with all its metal works coming from the old large Kinsey grain silo,and last picture is an old Kinsey Whiskey ad for the month of Sept for what you should drink each day. Sept is the Month I was born!
    Just a note I forgot it was my Old Friend Charlie Seipler who made repaired painted and replaced these signs. Charlie drove around the plant in his old Model A ford frame buggy with a 100 hp ford flathead to power it as I have written. I had to come back and ad this edit in Charlies Memory!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-31-2012 at 07:51.

Connoisseur

I would have a fit to see a puddle that big in our warehouse. Dave, looks like they used a lot of used barrels. Did they?

Disciple

Tom when you have 333,333. barrels on each of 3 floors of 14 warehouse's you get that! There were that many barrels per warehouse when I worked there. Also the coopers every month would look for leakers and fix them. For worm wood holes we had little wooden pegs we would pound into a wood worm hole and then knock the end off leaving the barrel's sealed agian.

The picture is from one warehouse in Phila and it was a very big warehouse.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =========
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Now as Promised here are some Pictures from the second floor of the Old Grain drying building and some of the back fallen down section of the Old Kinsey Bottlehouse Cistren room.
    pictures are
    1.2. 3. Second Floor of the Old Grain drying building Old Meters on the wall part of the Old grain drying Kinsey
    4. Grain silo Building grains traveled to this building first and then to the process building.
    5. A strange Door on the wall in the little room of the Grain drying building over the Oil boiler room.
    6. More of what is left of grain drying equipment.
    7. Shot of the Grain process building from window on second floor of grain drying building.
    8.Small room over The boiler room.
    9.Things hanging on the wall
    10. looking up to the third floor of the Old Grain drying building built by Jacob G Kinsey at the turn of the century.
    11. Looking up at the Old back second floor of the Kinsey bottle house.
    12. Upper section second floor Kinsey bottle house
    13. My new Blue glass Explosion proof switch on my side table of switches in my office. The paper hanging on the wall behind the switch to the right is The top 61 songs on WIP 610 in the year of 1961, April 24 , I found it in a drawer of old stuff I had from when I was a kid of 14 years old.
    14. Here is a shot of the table with all its switches and an old Explosion proof Siren. Picture on the wall behind the switches is of Inver House Distillery 1966 given to me by my Friend who ran the marketing dept for Publicker and it once hung in the Company's world Wide Headquarters at 1429 Walnut st Phila.
    The Large Switch box on the right back area once powered all the Whiskey and Distilled water from O warehouse the government Building to the Big Bottle House. Its the one with the Rub Alcohol plate in front of it from the Tank plateform in the big bottle house.

Many Thanks to Rod for climbing and taking these shots as I am to old to get up in places like that but it sure brings back memories of going up there and sweeping back in the day.
    Dave Z
    For Unhurried Moments
    =============================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-02-2012 at 11:35.

Glad to help out Dave. Love to get to the top floors of the other buildings. Who knows what's up there! The switches look great too. That's one tough file cabinet. There's a lot of weight on that sucker!

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Now as Promised here are some Pictures from the second floor of the Old Grain drying building and some of the back fallen down section of the Old Kinsey Bottlehouse Cistren room.
    pictures are
    1.2. 3. Second Floor of the Old Grain drying building Old Meters on the wall part of the Old grain drying Kinsey
    4. Grain silo Building grains traveled to this building first and then to the process building.
    5. A strange Door on the wall in the little room of the Grain drying building over the Oil boiler room.
    6. More of what is left of grain drying equipment.
    7. Shot of the Grain process building from window on second floor of grain drying building.
    8.Small room over The boiler room.
    9.Things hanging on the wall
    10. looking up to the third floor of the Old Grain drying building built by Jacob G Kinsey at the turn of the century.
    11. Looking up at the Old back second floor of the Kinsey bottle house.
    12. Upper section second floor Kinsey bottle house
    13. My new Blue glass Explosion proof switch on my side table of switches in my office. The paper hanging on the wall behind the switch to the right is The top 61 songs on WIP 610 in the year of 1961, April 24 , I found it in a drawer of old stuff I had from when I was a kid of 14 years old.
    14. Here is a shot of the table with all its switches and an old Explosion proof Siren. Picture on the wall behind the switches is of Inver House Distillery 1966 given to me by my Friend who ran the marketing dept for Publicker and it once hung in the Company's world Wide Headquarters at 1429 Walnut st Phila.
    The Large Switch box on the right back area once powered all the Whiskey and Distilled water from O warehouse the government Building to the Big Bottle House. Its the one with the Rub Alcohol plate in front of it from the Tank plateform in the big bottle house.

Many Thanks to Rod for climbing and taking these shots as I am to old to get up in places like that but it sure brings back memories of going up there and sweeping back in the day.
    Dave Z
    For Unhurried Moments
    =============================================

Disciple

Here are 6 Pictures of My future Lamp in the works, and the late 1930's Switch that will turn it on.
    1.thru 5. Different shots of my restored Explosion proof over head ceiling lamp. The big Bell part is from Warehouse L the shade is from Warehouse L and the works inside and big Globe are from the Old Kinsey Bottling House. I could not get the bell part from there to shine so I glued the spare name badge plate on the one from Warehouse L as it for some reason never had one on it just the holes for the rivits.

The next thing will be to get Pipes and Rod and I have to figuer a base for it. The Last Picture
    6. This is the 1930's Explosion proof switch that will turn the light on and off. My Lamp is an exact copy of Rods.

Then once we can get a base that a 3/4 steel pipe will screw into we have to find someone to wire them. The Switch will mount between two pieces of Pipe. Near the top. The Green shade will be inverted Up instead of down due to the fact it would be top heavy and you would have to have a giant base other wise. This way the weight will be going straight down screwed on the pipe.
    ================================================== =
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-03-2012 at 04:50.

Guru

Great finds and restoration effort Dave. That blue glass lamp in quite a prize.

Nice shots of your lamps parts. They cleaned up nicely.
    I was messing around today & some extra parts & decided to take a wire wheel to one of the housings we got at the old bottling house. It was covered in white calcium like the one you couldn't get cleaned up. Check these pictures out. This is the first one I pulled from the roof rubble of the old bottling house.

This came out quite nice. I still may use my original one with the more natured look, but this does look nice. I have another I may be able to do for you...and it even has the tag! It's one of the Appleton units. I'll try to mess around with it later this week. We'll just use the guts from your lamp.