Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Re: Elijah Craig 18 Year Old Question?

Re: Elijah Craig 18 Year Old
    I just opened my first bottle of EC18 last night and was overwelmed with the taste to the point of thinking that something was wrong with the bottle. I has a very musty dirty smell and the taste almost aweful. It had an after taste that stayed in my mouth for hours and it was not pleasant at all. Not metalic but almost a medical aftertaste like a strong disinfectant like bleach or something like that.
    I don't know if I am describing this right but I am begining to wonder if I got a bottle that was "skunked".
    Anybody have some thoughts or advice?
    just to give e referance point:
    I like EC12 as well as numerous other Bourbons that I've had this year
    Knob creek
    Eagle Rare
    VWSR
    Evan William SB
    Buffalo Trace
    Elmer T Lee
    Russell Reserve
    Rare Breed
    Maker's Mark

I have had at least one bottle of each of these this year and while I have not loved them all I have enjoyed them all.

thanks!
    -Chris

Guru

Of all of the pours discussed on the SB site, EC 18 has an equal amount of detarctors and supporters. That taste that you refer to could also be a bad bottle. It could also be a flavor profile that some find offensive and others find refreshing and pay to get it.

It is not one of my favs, but others like it. Keep trying it. I found it more enjoyable after a few weeks. I will not be buying it again, but I managed to get through it without hating it also.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Chris

What was the condition of the cork? It sounds like maybe the cork was dodgy or something like that. I tried for 4 years to get some EC18 and when I finally got it, it was all I ever hoped for. Maybe return the bottle to the retailer as this does not match the experience that I had (and that many others have had) with EC18. I don't know what the policy is at different liquor stores but I'm thinking they should replace your bottle for you. Failing that, maybe contact Heaven Hill and let them know.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by clbrosch View Post
    I like EC12 as well as numerous other Bourbons that I've had this year
    Knob creek
    Eagle Rare
    VWSR
    Evan William SB
    Buffalo Trace
    Elmer T Lee
    Russell Reserve
    Rare Breed
    Maker's Mark

I have had at least one bottle of each of these this year and while I have not loved them all I have enjoyed them all.

thanks!
    -Chris
    I like Makers, ETL, EWSB, ER 10yo, and Knob Creek as well and I love EC18. I am guessing that something is very wrong with your bottle...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Chris,

I answered you in the other thread.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I love EC18. I have at present 2 different bottles open from 2 different barrels. With some differences they are both very fine.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Smile Re: Elijah Craig 18 Year Old Question?

Thanks Chuck!

I have been afraid to sample this bottle again but I think I will give it another chance after reading your answer. Maybe after a sample of something else first to prepare my palette.
    I have smelled this bottle a few times more and the smell is OK . I think I was over reacting a bit at first.
    I would equate this to cigars. I don't think a peson new to smoking cigars would enjoy a Super Full bodied Strong smoke at first try. But after a few years of devolping a taste for Full bodied cigars they might enjoy one.

I have wet my whistle again with the EC18 and while VERY OAKy and extremely full-bodied the "Medical " taste I experienced was not there.
    Maybe I was expecting somthing smooth and mellow but found something a bit Harsh and strong.

Thanks for all you help and replies. I will keep this bottle and try again a few more times before I rush to judgement with it!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Of all of the pours discussed on the SB site, EC 18 has an equal amount of detarctors and supporters. That taste that you refer to could also be a bad bottle. It could also be a flavor profile that some find offensive and others find refreshing and pay to get it.

It is not one of my favs, but others like it. Keep trying it. I found it more enjoyable after a few weeks. I will not be buying it again, but I managed to get through it without hating it also.
    Yep, I agree EC 18 is one bourbon i would not classify as a "starter" bourbon. I hated it at first, then came to really enjoy it, after having some experience under my belt with other bourbons and flavors.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski