Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bourbon as a gift

hi guys,

i'm not actually a bourbon fan myself (just not a big drinker, in general), but i've been seeing a boy who is a HUGE fan. old kentucky family, they all love their bourbon. i was thinking that a nice bottle of really good bourbon would make a good christmas present, but i'm clueless as to what to get!

could someone give me a few suggestions please?

i don't want to just grab a bottle of maker's mark... i'm looking for something special.

Advanced Taster

Re: bourbon as a gift

Excellent question. The answer is going to be dependent upon your price range and your friend's taste. My personal all-time favorite is Pappy Van Winkle's 20-Year Family Reserve, which will run you around $80/bottle.
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

i'd spend up to $80 on a really good bottle.

gonna have to ask some subtle questions to find out his preferences in taste though.

(and thanks for the suggestion! i just saw that one recommended on another thread as well. must be good)

Advanced Taster

Oh, it's good alright! As to his tastes, do you know what he orders? That would give you a clue as to his preferences.
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Taste is huge here. I understand that PVW20 is _very_ highly regarded, but I personally do not rank it that high for what I like in a bourbon. My recommendation would be Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon. It runs about $40 in California. It is my 2nd favorite bourbon behind Elijah Craig 18yo, but the two are very close and the EC18 wins on price. Blantons has an awesome package and would make a wonderful gift. Would you mind telling my wife?

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

You might want to find out what they drink now, to see what flavor profile they may like. Also, how do they drink it (neat, rocks, cocktails, ginger, etc.) You might want to see if they have a favorite distillery and try other iterations from that. Or, a least favorite, and avoid anything from it.
    Tell us what you learn!
    Cheers!
    JOE

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Also, how do they drink it (neat, rocks, cocktails, ginger, etc.)
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to buy the Pappy 20 and drink it any other way than neat...

Connoisseur

might help to know whats available to you, where are you from?
    Todd

Enthusiast

For a gift, I think packaging matters as well, and the Pappy's and Blanton's are both good there. I'd add Rock Hill Farms, too. Those are also all reliably considered good by the majority of tasters. I'd shy away from the Elijah Craig 18 that was suggested, though. While many consider it a wonderful bourbon, it also has a fairly high percentage of tasters who don't really care for it. Without knowing more about his particular tastes, I'd play it safer.

Good luck.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobA View Post
    For a gift, I think packaging matters as well, and the Pappy's and Blanton's are both good there. I'd add Rock Hill Farms, too. Those are also all reliably considered good by the majority of tasters. I'd shy away from the Elijah Craig 18 that was suggested, though. While many consider it a wonderful bourbon, it also has a fairly high percentage of tasters who don't really care for it. Without knowing more about his particular tastes, I'd play it safer.

Good luck.

Bob
    Bob,

For the record I think you are thinking of Elijah Craig 12 year old. I don't know if I've seen anyone around here diss the 18, it is very well regarded. The 12, yes, I totally agree 100%. No matter, the Blantons & PVW are better suggestions anyway :-)

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com