Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Candy Cane Bourbon

Was going through the Food & Drink Section of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution this AM and came across the following recipe for infused Candy Cane Bourbon. Sounds like heresy to me, but thought I'd share it for the Holidays. The recipe originates from Woodford Reserve, and was apparantly picked up by the AJC:
    1 liter bourbon
    3 large candy canes, broken into smaller pieces

Empty bourbon into a clean container. Pleace the broken candy canes at the bottom of the bourbon bottle. Pour the bourbon back into the bottle, covering the candy pieces. Infuse for no more than 24 hours. (They don't say, but I guess this means you take the candy pieces out.)

I wonder if they got the idea from the copper-penny infused 4-Grain?

JOE

Connoisseur

Re: Candy Cane Bourbon

I wonder if our family's "singing organges" idea would also work. If you find the right candy "canes" (actually you need the straight ones) where the candy interior is not completly solid (sort of like siss cheese), you can break off both end, stickk it in an orange and drink the juice through the straw you made.

Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Candy Cane Bourbon

I tried candy cane bourbon on my own way back in the early 70's. I was at a Christmas party, I was drinking bourbon, and I was probably pretty drunk when I spotted some candy canes and the idea just popped into my head. As I recall, it was pretty good.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

To me this doesnít sound like it would taste good but somehow it also sounds like itís worth a shot. Maybe Iíll give it a go this weekend and report back. Thanks for the idea.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Enthusiast

Sounds like a waste of good candy canes and bourbon.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just recently learned about a Jack Daniel's employee who puts four or five candy canes into a bottle of Jack Black and carries it around with him for a few days (to agitate it) until the candy completely dissolves. He calls it his cough medicine and, strangely enough, he always seems to have a cough.

Sounds better to me, though, using a straight rye. Which I'll do when I think to.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

All this goes back years, I believe. Mike Veach on the other board reported that a well known brand distributed candy sticks with their whiskey in the 1950's. On the web site of the Phillips Union whiskeys, it is reported that drinkers in 1930's bars in Minneapolis added peppermint candies to their whiskey. I have surmised this was done with blended or young straight whiskey to approximate the palate of pre-Prohibition straight rye or bourbon. Adding such things to well-aged, quality straight rye therefore is (arguably) superfluous, but it may make sense to add it to a young straight rye such as Ritenhouse 80 proof.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I agree with all of the above and think it also has echos of Rock N Rye, i.e., rock candy suspended in rye whiskey. And, of course, adding sugar and mint to bourbon gives you a mint julep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    ...Adding such things to well-aged, quality straight rye therefore is (arguably) superfluous, but it may make sense to add it to a young straight rye such as Ritenhouse 80 proof.

Gary
    While I largely agree, Gary, I also agree with Mae West: "Too much of a good think is...wonderful!"
    Tim