Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hi all, need a present for a Bavarian Scotch drinker

Hey all,

Thanks for such a great site. I just started reading it but have found a lot of great information.

I registered an account because I'm traveling to Germany in a couple weeks to be once again with my beautiful Bavarian girlfriend. I'll be at her home for Christmas and though she insists that I not buy anything for her parents, I'd like to get, at the very least, a fine bottle of good bourbon for her dad who believes that Scotch whiskey is the only great whiskey made on this green earth. I myself am quite a newbie to bourbon (I hope you'll forgive I've been a Scotch fan until this point) but I want to get him a good bourbon...

So far, Blanton's looks like it might be a good choice based on its numerous recommendations here and elsewhere as well as on its pretty packaging which is nice for a gift that will be sitting on a shelf in plain view in a living room (yes, I've met her parents before). Has anyone been at the duty-free shops in Philadelphia Airport recently and know what bourbons they actually stock? And does someone recommend I get something else for my girlfriend's dad?

I'd be willing to spend up to about $50 or so for a liter. I don't know if I need to spend that much, but from what I know of Scotch and cognac, $30 can get you a decent one, $50 moves you up to the next level. If it's unlikely to get something really good in that pricerange at PHL I'd be happy to pick up a bottle elsewhere, I just wanted to save a bit by buying duty-free.

Finally, as I recall, the guy seems to like his Scotch smokey, if that helps. He also like strong whiskey, so he doesn't need a child's first bourbon. And I like strong whiskey too, so when we taste it we can both enjoy it.

Thanks!
    Dan
    Last edited by DanG; 11-30-2006 at 20:42.

Re: Hi all, need a present for a Bavarian Scotch drinker

I would think a Blanton's (of any stripe) would go over well. Also, if you happen across a bottle of Wild Turkey 12-year-old in duty-free, I'd hesitate to pass it up.
    You may already have done so, but be sure to make yourself aware of security requirements/proscriptions for carrying liquor bottles onboard a flight.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 11-30-2006 at 21:28.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

On one hand here I'd like to say that you will probably have better luck getting a decent selection at your local liquor store (at least you know ahead of time what you'll be buying as opposed to duty free) and I would think that for someone who likes strong and smoky, something like Bakers or maybe even Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit would be a good selection.

On the other hand, some people can be quite fanatical about their beliefs and get offended if you try to tell them that they're wrong and this is better, in which case I would suggest getting him scotch...an Islay most likely... Ardbeg likely...but I like Bowmore...and get the oldest one you are willing to spring for.

One can never show up with too much whiskey...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Dan,

Go for Booker´s.

I know many people here in Sweden with the same whisky preferences as your girlfriend´s dad and Booker´s almost always go down well.

Also, if you can get it with the wooden box, it will also be very suitable as a gift.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Taster

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll be going up to the VT liquor store now before I head on home so I'll see if I find anything good there for a reasonable price. I only fly in two and a half weeks' time anyway so maybe this way I'll get a chance to sample before I commit to a particular gift.

That also means that I'd appreciate more suggestions as well!

Guru

In terms of good bourbon in good packaging, I'd add a suggestion for Rock Hill Farms or any of the Pappy Van Winkles.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster

Okay, so I was at the VT liquor store (in Pownal). They had Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 750ml for $33, Baker's (or Booker's... not sure) in a wooden box was about $48 for either a liter or handle (can't remember).
    EDIT: Forgot to mention there was an Eagle's Rare there as well.

No Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms (pretty sure), and no Pappy Van Winkles. There was a Woodford Reserve on sale, but I had that once about 4-5 years ago and was not overly impressed. Also a Knob Creek sale, but I haven't seen too many great reviews of that. They also had Evan Williams Single Barrel which was not on sale.

I'm at home now on Boston's North Shore, I'll check my local liquor store which has a huge selection of liquors sometime this weekend or next.

Thanks again for the great advice, and please keep it coming!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

[quote=DanG;75621]Okay, so I was at the VT liquor store (in Pownal). They had Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 750ml for $33, Baker's (or Booker's... not sure) in a wooden box was about $48 for either a liter or handle (can't remember).quote]

Bookers come in the wooden box. But for $33 Wild Turkey KY Spirit is a bargain!

Enthusiast

I'd keep in mind that a lot of the primo bourbons are much higher in proof than the average scotch. Bookers, Bakers, and a lot of others are in excess of 101 proof. If he sips his dram neat, a lower proof treat like Evan Williams Single Barrel might be just the ticket.

Edit: I just re-read your first post, Dan, and you say he'll dig a strong bourbon. In that case, Wild Turkey Rare Breed would be my pick for ya!

Taster

The Booker's was on sale for about $43 so I felt like I had to pull the trigger... especially with that nice wooden box. So if and when I get a chance to drink it on Christmas I'll be sure to let you all know what I think about my first "good" bourbon (aside from WR which I didn't really like).

Thanks again for all the great advice, I'll try the other ones later... and maybe bring some more bourbon to my gf's dad this summer if he likes the Booker's.